Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 11:20 PM

70 posts, read 68,785 times

Advertisements

Someone told me to move to Knoxville cuz better weather than Nashville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 09:13 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I grew up in the New England area and I remember brutal summers and winters. Either too hot and humid or too cold. I don't mind clouds and rain, though. Reminds me of Olde England.

But the tornadoes and floods... Is it true that Knoxville is safer in that regard because of its hills?
Pretty sure it's not the hills, but the fact that Knoxville is farther east from "Tornado Alley". We have hills all around Chattanoogs, and the tornado last Easter was brutal. They're too tall and forceful to be blocked by hills anywhere.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:45 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Pretty sure it's not the hills, but the fact that Knoxville is farther east from "Tornado Alley". We have hills all around Chattanoogs, and the tornado last Easter was brutal. They're too tall and forceful to be blocked by hills anywhere.
Interesting. I was in Asheville a while ago and was told they don't get tornadoes because of the mountains.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:51 AM

902 posts, read 807,969 times
Quote:
Interesting. I was in Asheville a while ago and was told they don't get tornadoes because of the mountains.
No tornados here in the mountains of East Tennessee, although we do get wind gusts of 60+ mph coming through the valley here in Erwin pretty regularly.

Sounds like a jet taking off when they pass through. Get a fair amount of high wind warnings with some advising not to venture out hiking due to the possibility of falling trees and such, but thankfully no tornados.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:10 AM

730 posts, read 814,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
No tornados here in the mountains of East Tennessee
Not true. Tornadoes aren't as common in the mountains as in the Great Plains, but they do happen.

https://www.timesnews.net/news/local...d60112941.html

https://www.wjhl.com/wjhl-weather/se...reparedness-2/

Old 03-10-2021, 09:19 AM

194 posts, read 190,252 times
I read online that this could be a particularly devastating year for Dixie Alley in terms of tornados, especially as we get into April. So I hope no one gets too comfortable with this slow start to the season. We might all be homeless by June (somewhat kidding, somewhat serious).

Old 03-10-2021, 12:18 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
I am assuming new construction has stricter standards for withstanding high winds as well as mandatory cellars for people to hide in.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:46 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
I am assuming new construction has stricter standards for withstanding high winds as well as mandatory cellars for people to hide in.

Don't assume...

Not a lot of basements or cellars here due to the limestone. And tell my neighbors about those "stricter" standards after the 3rd floor of a new build flew off and landed on their back covered porch/living room last March.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:43 PM

194 posts, read 190,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Don't assume...

Not a lot of basements or cellars here due to the limestone. And tell my neighbors about those "stricter" standards after the 3rd floor of a new build flew off and landed on their back covered porch/living room last March.
Couldn't agree more, unfortunately. If I decide to buy a home in Nashville, I'm definitely going to do my diligence with regard to construction. No tall/skinnies for me.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:23 PM

902 posts, read 807,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Not true. Tornadoes aren't as common in the mountains as in the Great Plains, but they do happen.
Very true as we live here. No worries here about tornados whatsoever.

TBH I’d be more concerned with the earthquakes here in the ETN mountains than I’d ever be worried about tornados. We have a few shakers per year, from a recent magnitude 2.8 to a 3.5 last year. Kinda remember a 5.1 recently too, maybe mid 2020 but can’t be quite sure.

Felt both recent quakes although I did keep sleeping through the 3.5 as it hit early morning on a weekend. Still was no big deal but did shake the house, pipes and porch lights pretty good according to my wife. May have lasted ten seconds max.

The 2.8 last month was pretty strong as it originated directly under us in Erwin at a depth of less than a quarter mile I believe. Gave us a good “bam” then 3 second shake that woke us up outta bed.

https://www.erwinrecord.net/uncatego...strikes-erwin/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...ee%3f_amp=true

Not sure how it is in Nashville, but TN in general gets a fair amount of quakes statewide every year, but still nothing like you see out West.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 03-10-2021 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville