Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 07:24 AM

5 posts, read 6,614 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the great information and encouragement to "go for it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 11:26 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,118,244 times
if i may ask a question regarding moving to the area. my wife and i live in the Bronx, NY and we're both 66 and tired of the noise, pollution, traffic, generally bad attitudes and high taxes. family and good grocery prices area about all that are keeping us here. a friend of our told us that a lot of folks from NY, CT, NJ are moving to Tennessee and areas like Knoxville, Nashville, etc., and bringing their habits and way of life with them, thereby "polluting" the cities and towns. (their words). any truth to that? they also mentioned that gang activities are increasing in some cities too which is another reminder of home here. we visited Nashville in 2008 and we loved it but stayed here since we became grandparents. the boys are getting older and so are we but we are walking a fine line between staying for the family and moving for our physical and mental health. so please pass on some information if you please....would be much appreciated. (btw, we wouldn't be bringing our NY attitude because we have a more southern, laid back style) thanks!

Old 09-06-2020, 12:19 PM

78 posts, read 113,740 times
HI I live in Franklin, TN.
Yes there are many people moving here from Northeast US and California. We do like to discuss how we hope they aren't bringing their habits, etc with them. I'm not sure I see a big difference really but you might hear differently from other people. We moved here from PA five years ago and we love it so I am from Northeast US as well

Definitely you need to visit and stay at least a week before making a decision. Visit Nashville and surrounding "suburbs" in all directions. I have not heard anything about gangs.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:39 PM

4,348 posts, read 4,727,294 times
Quote:
we visited Nashville in 2008 and we loved it
2008 Nashvillle and 2020 Nashville (and suburbs) are two very different places.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:49 AM

yeah, you're right. i'm originally from the Bay Area (SF) and have lived in SLC and now i'm in the Bronx. very different styles of life and every time i go back to either city, i can see the changes there and not all of them are good. so please elaborate on your comment so i can understand what has changed there. thanks!

Old 09-07-2020, 12:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post

yeah, you're right. i'm originally from the Bay Area (SF) and have lived in SLC and now i'm in the Bronx. very different styles of life and every time i go back to either city, i can see the changes there and not all of them are good. so please elaborate on your comment so i can understand what has changed there. thanks!
You can do a search of this forum, as this has been discussed so many times in multiple threads. Some samples:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nash...es-now-gq.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nash...nashville.html

See post #6 in this thread for more links:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nash...al-estate.html

And you might find this relevant:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nash...nashville.html

Note the dates of all the threads.

This Oct. 2019 blog post talks a bit about "why."

https://www.nashvillesmls.com/blog/d...every-day.html

According to CNN, over 30,000 people moved to Nashville last year [2018]. That breaks down to just over 82 people per day. The [metro] population is now at about 1.8 million people and the city grew by nearly 2% last year [2018].

Old 09-08-2020, 08:41 PM

61 posts, read 110,709 times
I would look at Brentwood and Franklin. So many retirement communities and easy to get downtown by car to see your kids.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooz71 View Post
I would look at Brentwood and Franklin. So many retirement communities and easy to get downtown by car to see your kids.
but aren't both Brentwood and Franklin rather expensive? we're on a somewhat modest budget so we might have to consider something less costly.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:36 PM

4,348 posts, read 4,727,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
but aren't both Brentwood and Franklin rather expensive? we're on a somewhat modest budget so we might have to consider something less costly.

You need to define "somewhat modest budget".

Old 09-09-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
You need to define "somewhat modest budget".
between $175,000 and $250,000. depends on what we could sell our house here in the Bronx for. we might possibly get $350,000 if were fortunate but probably not more than that. then you have to tack on moving expenses, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville