Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 07:59 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,425,999 times

Advertisements

Nashville in the downtown area, gulch and germantown areas will vibe somewhat urban, like Williamsburg and parts of Queens. But you'll be sorely, sorely disappointed beyond that.

No city in the south is like New York City, and certainly not Nashville or Atlanta.

If you want an urban vibe and a dense, exciting center city that mimics areas of New York, Miami downtown and in the city in certain neighborhoods has the building density to rival small parts of New York, and some bustle in parts. But pales in comparison--and is TINY compared to NYC.

New Orleans has density and character, and hustle with tourists in the French Quarter--but that's tourists and during COVID, not much at all. Beyond downtown and the French Quarter though, imo, New Orleans is depressed and humid as hell.

Closest to NYC is of course, Chicago. Then Philadelphia, Boston, and Washington, DC.

But all in all, you won't find a city in the southeast like the density, hustle and bustle, and urbanity of New York. You'll have to go outside of the southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 04:15 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,862 times
Your first priority should be getting back into nursing school or program--no matter where it is.

I cannot imagine any accredited nursing school closing so fast.

Otherwise, stay where you are in Atlanta.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:51 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,007,578 times
Totally agree with jjbradleynyc. I would check out the mid-atlantic region, not the southeast.

I like DC a lot but it is not like NY. It is more "busy" than the south, but doesn't have high rises but it is very walkable like NY and definitely has a certain energy (I get what you are saying about the"vibe"). Philly is a good suggestion. Boston too, but since Boston's the northeast it's very, very expensive. Love the energy there though (that's where I am from).

I hear Richmond is kind of a cool city (never been myself), but it is pretty small, and I'm not sure if it would have the energy you are seeking. I think Philly is your best bet followed by DC unless you are willing to consider Chicago, which I think is pretty reasonably priced for a big city, and lots of people love Chicago.

Maybe check out some You Tube videos of the cities mentioned. You can at least get a sense what they are like. Then if it looks interesting go to those boards and check with people to see if it might be a good fit. Since you aren't going to school right now, maybe take a road trip or two after you have narrowed it down?

Knowing where you came from and what you like, I never would have recommended Atlanta for you.

Last edited by macalan; 08-19-2020 at 05:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville