Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2006, 08:15 PM

13 posts, read 20,805 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am new to this forum. My daughter, age 22, will be moving to the Nashville area early next year. She is looking for either an apartment or small house to buy. Can someone tell me if the La Vergne area is OK? I know she needs to stay away from the Antioch area. She is also considering Smyrna.

Her sister lives in Murfreesboro and she will probably work in Nashville (possibly downtown area) so she doesn't want to have to make a long commute each day.

Her budget is low right now until she can get on her feet. Probably no more than $600-$650 a month.

Any suggestions? Of course it must be a safe area of town and easy access to the highway.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 12:03 PM
jrc

13 posts, read 61,914 times
Default I live in LaVergne

We originally moved there in 1998 to get out of an Antioch apartment. Both LaVergne and Smyrna have homes from shacks up to $1,000,000 if you know where to look. The closer you get to Williamson county the more expensive it will be. I have to say we bought a inexpensive home (around $110,000) close to I-24 and we still like it there. Would we rather be in Brentwood? Sure! and we could have easily got the loan. We just didn't want to be stressed out about a house payment every month. Also at that price we could do a 15 year loan so it worked out well. You should be able to find something decent for as little as $120,000 if you are willing to work on it (ie an ugly house that just needs some TLC). I don't know if that is in your buget. I would stay away from Lake Forest in LaVergne. Just my opinion. Smyrna is a little bigger so there may be are more options. One good thing about the area is that we are getting a lot of banks, stores, medical centers, etc. If you need something more, downtown Nashville is only 15 min away.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:26 AM

225 posts, read 1,144,838 times
I agree with JRC. There are good areas and bad areas in LaVergne and Smryna but she would certainly be fine in either location. I believe most people who live in Smyrna end up coming to Murfreesboro for most of their needs while people in LaVergne seem to drive back into Nashville. Either way, she will be a short commute to finding what she needs. She can also learn to cut over to the Brentwood/Cool Springs area for shopping rather than go into Antioch and Hickory Hollow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville