Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:54 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDevo View Post
I would prefer someone drive white-hot nails into my kneecaps than live in either Green Hills or Vandy areas...but that's just me.....I've lived here since 1991 and find snobbery and "class consciousness" highly unappealing. These areas have an abundance of it, IMHO....
While there's certainly a fair share of extremely wealthy individuals around West End and Green Hills, I've never felt a general sense of "snobbery." I spend quite a bit of time in both areas and I'm far from rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 03:25 PM

252 posts, read 390,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
Oh, DEFINITELY Green Hills...I've seen too many homeless beggars around Vandy/Hillsboro Village area...NEVER seen a homeless person hanging around Green Hills.
That's because of the "Invisible Line" at the Border of Green Hills that Vaporizes the alleged undesirable in a quick & painless procedure...

Old 04-11-2008, 04:56 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denawilliams View Post
Franklin is definitely a suburb and pretty spread out. For the most part, you'll go everywhere in your car unless you live in places like have been mentioned by Septimus. Westhaven is the closest thing Franklin has to being a self-contained community of "new urbanism" in Franklin with all new homes, condos and some retail. There are several ponds stocked with fish and green spaces within the community itself as well as an outdoor area for concerts, etc. It is an impressive community in terms of amenities, however, as has already been mentioned, it is a drive to the Vanderbilt or Green Hills area. The only other area in Franklin that wasn't mentioned that is walkable is Historic Franklin. There you'll find a true center within walking distance to many of the historic homes. This area is completely different than most of the rest of Franklin...(the rest is more spread out and newer construction of similar type homes and vehicles are definitely the mode of transportation.)

There aren't too many areas within the Nashville area and suburbs that are true walkable communities, so you shouldn't have too much trouble narrowing down your search. A few other communities classified as new urbanism around Nashville are Caqrothers Crossing and Lenox Village. Brentwood is in the planning stage of redeveloping the area around Franklin Road where the center currently is into a new urbanism community with mixed uses of living, working, shopping, and green/park spaces, but it's probably at least 10 years out from completion...maybe even 20.
Franklin sounds like what we'd be looking for...are there any houses for under $300,000? That would be our limit. We would settle for one of the smaller houses if the neighborhood, community felt right for us.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:43 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,806 times
Historic Franklin is beautiful but pricey. You could definitely find something uner $300K in Fieldstone Farms. $300k would put you at the low end of McKay's Mill and I think the lowest price of anything in Westhaven is about $325k for a townhouse. I don't think you'll find much in GreenHills or Vandy area for $300k

Old 04-13-2008, 12:37 PM

112 posts, read 436,801 times
I live and work in Hillsboro Village on the Vandy campus and this area is very walkable. I've seen a number of families with strollers and kids in wagons when I walk to Harris Teeters (the nearest supermarket). I've seen some elementary schools within walking distance to the campus as well. The only time I've seen beggars and homeless people is when you get on West End (especially the side streets), the streets near Baptist Hospital or on Broadway going toward downtown. If you are walking on 21st Ave toward Green Hills, I have yet to be accosted by anybody and I walk a lot. The only time I use my car now is when I go shopping in Green Hills or Cool Springs because everything else I could need is in walking distance to me (CVS, Harris Teeter, restaurants, dry cleaning, post office, all banks, AAA, etc.). I'm not too familiar with the walkability of Franklin, but downtown Franklin is definitely cute.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:59 AM

64 posts, read 246,072 times
I would take Hill/Vandy over Green Hills simply because of the congestion in GH. If Franklin is a possiblity for you you might want to check out McKay's Mill, has everything it seems you are looking for, nice homes, small lots, side walks, parks, walking distance in most areas to stores and such. Good Luck!

Old 04-19-2008, 05:32 AM

603 posts, read 2,358,486 times
Thank you for all of your suggestions!

Old 04-19-2008, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
I grew up living in the Vandy area. Definitely walkable. Eakin Elementary is a good school with multiple cultures. Lots of things to do in this area.

Green Hills has too much traffic on Hillsboro Road but certainly has better shopping. I don't know about school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: