Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times

Advertisements

Okay, back to the question. There are never-ending debates about whether and how much chlorine is safe. Rather than get into all that, the easier question is "who wants to taste the darn stuff?" I'd give it a short while and see if the chlorine taste persists. If it does, then you might want to see about some kind of filter system. If it doesn't, well then, happy showering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 05:01 AM

270 posts, read 796,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Okay, back to the question. There are never-ending debates about whether and how much chlorine is safe. Rather than get into all that, the easier question is "who wants to taste the darn stuff?" I'd give it a short while and see if the chlorine taste persists. If it does, then you might want to see about some kind of filter system. If it doesn't, well then, happy showering.
HUm well I'm going with , since I'm sure most water has chlorine in it to kill bacteria, that if I can smell and taste it, it's not safe. Unfortunatly I live in an apartment complex right now and can't put any real filter system in. I think the Brita systems work to remove chlorine so I'll buy one of those. I'm not so worried about it in the shower, but when I make a cup of tea I kinda want to taste the tea and not have it taste like a swimming pool.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:41 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
granted, it's not Nashville, but when I lived in Columbia, i refused to drink the water (for, oh 12 years) because it tasted so nasty and chlorinated.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 AM

156 posts, read 451,233 times
I too live in an apartment complex, so what my boyfriend did before I came down was to put a Pur filter on the faucet. We can alter whether it's filtered or plain water, obviously filtered for drinking/cooking and then regular for washing hands, dishes, etc.

The first thing I discovered upon my first visit here was the awful taste of the water. It does burn my eyes in the shower, I just refuse to drink it though.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:16 AM

375 posts, read 1,097,213 times
Default So does TN water really smell like a pool?

A little data, you can decide for yourself. TDEC water supply (the people who regulate this stuff) requires a minimum of 0.2 ppm chlorine in all parts of the distribution system. The maximum level is 4ppm but there is a disclaimer that this may be exceeded

to a level and for a time necessary to protect public health to address specific microbiological contamination problems caused by circumstances such as distribution line breaks, storm runoff events, source water contamination, or cross-connections.
(TCA 1200-5-1-.04(58))

Rule of thumb is that greater concentrations of dissolved organic matter in the water require greater amounts of chlorine both for the initial disinfection and to maintain the residual to the far points of the distribution system. Surface water has much higher organic concentrations than ground water so if your water supply is from a river or lake it's probably going to be heavily chlorinated compared to a system which uses wells for water supply. Most utilities in middle and east Tennessee use surface water.

The recommendation for pool chlorine levels is generally 1-3ppm.

There are a couple of times a year where I live that the water's aroma reminds me more of a freshly opened bottle of chlorox than a pool and whenever I've checked the water the chlorine residual has always been greater than 1ppm. But it sure beats the waterborne disease epidemics that were common before chlorine treatment became a standard.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:39 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,633 times
OK, I was wondering what that aweful taste was when I rinsed the toothpaste out of my mouth.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:43 AM

97 posts, read 245,421 times
We use a Brita water filter on our faucet here in Chicago, and we will happily pack it up and put it on our Nashville faucet in a couple of weeks.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldedixie View Post
We use a Brita water filter on our faucet here in Chicago, and we will happily pack it up and put it on our Nashville faucet in a couple of weeks.
The taste of the water will vary with who the utility is. I'm on Harpeth Valley and don't really notice any chlorine or other bad taste. I think the utilities that get their water from the lakes have more problems in that regard (especially during the drought conditions we had last summer).

We sure don't have a drought this morning. ;-)

Old 04-11-2008, 11:18 AM

270 posts, read 796,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
The taste of the water will vary with who the utility is. I'm on Harpeth Valley and don't really notice any chlorine or other bad taste. I think the utilities that get their water from the lakes have more problems in that regard (especially during the drought conditions we had last summer).

We sure don't have a drought this morning. ;-)
No we don't! Everytime I go out it starts to pour. And I have to go to the bank, which is in Hermitage and idk if i can go there. LOL I'm not sure where the weather lady is talking about. I keep hearing things that sound familier so I guess I'll just stay home for now.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:19 AM

I think it's suppose to clear up after 2:00 PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville