Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 07:08 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprtsJunkie88 View Post
As a local, I can tell you I still avoid "downtown" for more reasons than my disdain for Broadway, bachelorette parties and drunk tourists. Those reasons include, but are not limited to, the absurdly overpriced parking options (sometimes I will park for free at Nissan Stadium and walk over the pedestrian bridge, but that is less than appealing when it's raining or super cold) and overpriced eats & drinks at the luxury hotels. I frequent Germantown far more often - parking & culinary offerings are both significantly better than downtown.

And yet, I have friends who are also locals who LOVE downtown, so to each, their own. I guess I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid at some point in time.
I live in Historic Buena Vista and am way over the Germantown hype (except for City House and Vui’s Kitchen). There is much more small minor crime in Germantown and Salemtown than there is downtown. And the dining scene there just got smaller with the closure of Little Donkey.

Parking? Try Uber or Lyft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 01:44 PM

71 posts, read 81,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I live in Historic Buena Vista and am way over the Germantown hype (except for City House and Vui’s Kitchen). There is much more small minor crime in Germantown and Salemtown than there is downtown. And the dining scene there just got smaller with the closure of Little Donkey.

Parking? Try Uber or Lyft.
I don’t live in Germantown/Salemtown, so petty property crime isn’t a deciding factor in where I dine... there’s plenty of crime in my neighborhood, but it doesn’t stop me from dining at spots that are walking distance from me...

You can just as easily end up paying a nice chunk of change taking Lyft/Uber if it happens to be a busy night in Nashville with rate surges.

Sorry, but not everyone is in love with downtown.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
isn’t a deciding factor in where I dine...
How about being held up at gunpoint? Which has happened recently in Germantown to people leaving the restaurants.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:37 PM

71 posts, read 81,219 times
Quote:
How about being held up at gunpoint? Which has happened recently in Germantown to people leaving the restaurants.
You do realize there’s crime in other neighborhoods with good dining, right? East Nashville, The Nations, etc. Most definitely not limited to Germantown.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprtsJunkie88 View Post
You do realize there’s crime in other neighborhoods with good dining, right? East Nashville, The Nations, etc. Most definitely not limited to Germantown.
Yes but Germantown is now a well known tourist area so an easy mark.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:50 PM

114 posts, read 128,176 times
what a bland discussion, please leaeve my forum this was about TOP 20 city not this rif raf, OUT PLEASE

Old 10-12-2018, 11:51 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arton1 View Post
what a bland discussion, please leaeve my forum this was about TOP 20 city not this rif raf, OUT PLEASE
Thanks for the advice but we never got an answer as to what was meant by "top 20".

Old 10-13-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arton1 View Post
“Your forum”???????? Yeah, ok. No.

Top cities, in no particular order:
New York
Chicago
Los Angeles
San Francisco
San Diego
Dallas
Houston
Miami
New Orleans
Philadelphia
Washington D.C.
Seattle
Atlanta
Phoenix
Boston
Denver
—————— Next tier
Cleveland
Charlotte
Las Vegas
Kansas City
Nashville
Buffalo
Austin
Portland
Boise

Last edited by N.Cal; 10-13-2018 at 05:44 AM..

Old 10-13-2018, 09:41 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Top cities, in no particular order:
New York - rat and bed bug infested noisy overrated money pit.
Chicago - crime-ridden trash pit filled with Blackhawks fans. On its way to being the next Detroit.
Los Angeles - fake fake fake fake fake-- the only things that are real are the traffic, pollution, and homelessness.
San Francisco - pardon me while I shoot up some heroin and take a crap on the sidewalk in front of a fancy restaurant.
San Diego - a more laid back version of the previous two.
Dallas - everything is bigger in Texas, including bland suburbs.
Houston - a Libertarian developer's dream -- let's put skyscrapers next to houses!
Miami - Cuban LA.
New Orleans - the smell of urine, feces and vomit coming from Bourbon St. remind us that it's time for another hurricane.
Philadelphia - much like the Rocky series -- a story of someone unwilling to give up despite being retarded.
Washington D.C. - can we nuke it while Congress is in session? Thanks! -America.
Seattle - the amount you'll overpay for a house here will leave you sleepless.
Atlanta - the home of Delta...which makes sense, because you can't get anywhere on time.
Phoenix - it's like SoCal if you removed the ocean and the culture.
Boston - terrible accents, even worse people.
Denver - much like Coors, it's not the worst option on the menu, but too basic to really get any enjoyment out of it.
—————— Next tier
Cleveland - they may have extinguished the fire on the river, but the dumpster still burns.
Charlotte - the intersection of NASCAR and corporate America. I can't think of a better place to play in traffic.
Las Vegas - a place for losses and gains -- like losing your life savings and contracting herpes!
Kansas City - my bad, I forgot this place existed. Something something something barbeque?
Nashville - who knew that white trash chic would become a popular trend?
Buffalo - wings? Can't think of another reason why this miserable dump would be in anyone's top 100.
Austin - if Nashville and Portland had a baby, and that baby was pumped full of growth hormones, it would be Austin.
Portland - that friend that thinks that everyone likes their quirkiness, but people actually find it highly annoying and they're just being polite and not saying anything.
Boise - will probably be pretty nice until enough Californians move there to ruin it.
Everybody has their opinions on things.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:05 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
I'm 100 miles due south, and love it here. But yes, Nashville is definitely a Top 20 city. I love it there too; but would I want to live there? Not sure. Being well under 2 hours away is very convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville