Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 PM

35 posts, read 167,931 times

Advertisements

OK guys I need help. I have asked for help and info about Murfreesboro before but now as the moving date from So. Cal. if drawing near I am looking into other areas as well. We are moving 3 children and that is the most important thing for me. So middle Tn is or destination and I have been browsing through houses on line and keep coming across very pretty houses in the Mt. Juliet area. How are the schools? And the county in general? Do you think this is a good place for me to rase my young kids? Or should I stick to Murfreesboro and Rutherford county? We will be there in April to do one of our final trips before the move in June. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 05:23 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
If it was me, I would chose Mt. Juliet. Comparing the two side-by-side isn't quite fair however since Murfreesboro is a much larger town (it's has some good areas, and some that are not so great). One of the nicer areas in Murfreesboro might work for you just as well.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:22 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
It really depends on what you want. Both are very nice areas and are growing rapidly.

Murfreesboro is a city of nearly 100,000 and is home to a university with 22,000 students. Mount Juliet is a suburb (no "downtown" area) of 20,000. Murfreesboro has tons of shopping, but Mount Juliet is right next to Nashville and also has quite a few shopping options. Mount Juliet is also closer to the Nashville airport.

The two towns are very different, so it would be difficult for anyone to tell you (a total stranger) which one is best for you since it's very subjective. There are good schools in both areas. Tell us what else you need other than good schools, and maybe we can give you more objective suggestions.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:09 PM

35 posts, read 167,931 times
I guess all I really need is a nice place with nice people that we can call home. We have not yet settled on jobs so the drive is not yet an issue. I want my kids to grow up in a nice nieghborhood with houses and yards and not an apartment. I really think we should spend some time looking at Mt. Juliet.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:19 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,216 times
Hi! Being a transplant from NH and now living in Murfreesboro. I have been here for 6 months and I love the city. It is a city with a small town feel and the people here are wonderful. I live in a neighborhood off from Middle Tennessee Highway and it is a friendly community and I have not seen any trouble since I've been here. I feel perfectly safe in my neighborhood. It is a very kid friendly city from what I have seen and heard. Children are very important here. Murfreesboro has a wonderful town square that has been preserved with some very historic buildings, a wonderful library and a beautiful park. I lived in Nashville for 2 months prior to moving here and had the opportunity to visit Mt. Juliet. It was nice but I prefer Murfreesboro. Also the cost of living is less in Murfreesboro and there is quite a bit of work available. I guess I have fallen in love with the people and the community and I'm happy to call it home.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:40 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,984 times
I have to echo northcountrygirl. I love Murfreesboro. I actually ended up here by a sudden shift in where my job was transferring me. I was supposed to be working in Spring Hill. I was transferred to Murfreesboro instead and have never been happier. Everything you can possibly need and enjoy is local inside Murfreesboro. The town square is adorable, the shopping is diverse and plentiful. The recently opened Avenue Murfreesboro is all the shopping choices most anyone would need, yet there is more. There are some really nice neighborhoods and good schools here as well. The people are diverse and very welcoming. I have had good experiences in all the businesses I have patronized so far. Very helpful and polite. I love the neighborhood I live in too. It was a great choice for us. It was so hard to choose. There are so many new and established neighborhoods that I couldn't decide on one. The price of housing here is very reasonable too. Lots of bang for the buck and in all price ranges. The economy is good here and it seems easy to find employment. I don't think you could go wrong moving here at all, but visiting each area is important. I think you just get a feeling that a certain area is the right place for you. Good Luck picking your new home.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:02 PM

Hi Neighbor!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
Hi Neighbor!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Neighbor back at ya!

Looks like we have been here the same amount of time too. 6 months for me as well!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:43 PM

The 6 months has gone fast. I know what you mean about the town square. I love to go there. I love the park by the library. I can't wait until everything is in bloom. I'm not far from Church Street so I'm really close. I love that Murfreesboro is a city but has managed to maintain a small town feel. There are more shopping malls and plazzas here then I have ever seen but everything is tucked back in and there are some first class resturants as well. I can't imagine needing anything you can't find here.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
The 6 months has gone fast. I know what you mean about the town square. I love to go there. I love the park by the library. I can't wait until everything is in bloom. I'm not far from Church Street so I'm really close. I love that Murfreesboro is a city but has managed to maintain a small town feel. There are more shopping malls and plazzas here then I have ever seen but everything is tucked back in and there are some first class resturants as well. I can't imagine needing anything you can't find here.
Love it for all the same reasons you do. I am also looking forward to everything blooming and turning green again. I live off Church in Indian Hills and I absolutely love this end of Murfreesboro. It feels more country here (southside) yet it isn't really because everything is so close. I like an area that is self contained, jobs, shopping, restaurants etc. It makes life easier. It takes me and my husband about 7-10 minutes to get to work everyday. It just doesn't get better than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville