Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 12:51 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,489,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeses View Post
I am a HVAC/Energy Engineer (not licensed though)
The job availability for me in my field of HVAC Engineering
As an owner of an HVACR company, you will have to be licensed in the state you move to, if you want a decent-paid job.

Also, I don't know any HVAC company who will allow an employee to take off right at the busiest time of the year for us in the south.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:53 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,749,407 times
I agree with everyone else. If she needs less humidity for her health, I would not recommend Nashville.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
the future transplant she will need
By the way, my husband had cardiomyopathy, he is 52, and he had a pacemaker-defibrillator installed. His heart is no longer enlarged and he is good as new.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:00 PM

69 posts, read 77,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Climate concerns notwithstanding ...
We usually see 60-112 inches of snow per year and half the year is cloudy. I do remember visiting some family in Richmond VA on Easter Sunday and it was 102°F.

Maybe some background on where we've looked and why we're now focused on Tennessee:
Portland, OR: too extreme of weather changes, and 30,000 homeless that are aggressive compared to our 20 or so here in Ithaca.
Charlotte, NC: have an office there that I could relocate to, but then the political climate is too extreme
Durham, NC (Duke): Ok, but maybe slightly longer duration of cold weather than TN.
Houston, Tx: the saying "not from around here, are you" sticks to my conscience
Albuquerque, NM: less humid, but the SW is not where we want to be. No family within a days drive.
Tennessee - weekend drives to family in Daytona, FL and Myrtle Beach, friendly place to meet new people.

Not that we want to come to torture ourselves in the humidity, but when is a good time to visit and experience the heat? Again we come from 80's starting in Mid-May to end of August...and a few weeks of 90+. We do hit 100+ at least once a year, laughable I'm sure. But again, we are humid 60%+ during our summer as well. Now if anyone can say that it is as humid as Hawaii (had a job there so I know what this means) then I will start looking elsewhere.

Last edited by TheBreeses; 01-05-2017 at 01:18 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
By the way, my husband had cardiomyopathy, he is 52, and he had a pacemaker-defibrillator installed. His heart is no longer enlarged and he is good as new.
Hollycrap convextech, that is great news! My wife had hers installed 9yrs ago, but then they went back 1 year later and put in a bi-vent to continually pace, and the shock therapy there is her heart races too much. She's on tyckosen (sp?) now which seems to help with the arithmeas (sp?). He cousin had his heart replaced 25yrs ago with the same initial diagnosis. The rejection Rx is not fun in his opinion. Anyways, I'm glad they caught it in time for your husband and was able to reverse it. Sometimes I feel that no matter what we do, her's is not improving or reversing back to healthy. Best wishes to you and yours

Old 01-05-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
My wife had hers installed 9yrs ago, but then they went back 1 year later and put in a bi-vent to continually pace, and the shock therapy there is her heart races too much. She's on tyckosen (sp?) now which seems to help with the arithmeas (sp?).
My husband had a right bundle block, so his pacemaker is set to steady pace but he does not have arrhythmia.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I agree with everyone else. If she needs less humidity for her health, I would not recommend Nashville.
I do see online that the air quality is better here than there, so it is under consideration. Ideal temps are between 30°F and 87°F and 30-57%RH, which she would gladly tolerate warmer-humid, than the colder-drier (we've already had a week of below zero). San Louis Obispo, CA being the ideal place climate-wise.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:19 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,211,121 times
Quote:
Ideal temps are between 30°F and 87°F and 30-57%RH, which she would gladly tolerate warmer-humid, than the colder-drier. San Louis Obispo, CA being the ideal place climate-wise.
Our average humidity is 70%. Year-round.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:27 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,879 times
I'll admit that the humidity can be bad here, but I wouldn't call it truly disgusting except for a few months in the summer, where the same can be said in many other parts of the country. When it's in the spring or early fall it doesn't matter how humid it is because the temperatures are fine. The poster said their ideal climate is San Luis Obispo. I just went to check the current humidity there and it's 78% right now. Of course it's 59 degrees so no one cares.

That all being said, I think the winters have stretches that are worse than people up north might think (of course it's 30 degrees today and people are bundled up like they're in Winnipeg. So, it's all relative I guess), and we have stretches of summer that are underestimated by people from those same places. Although I do think weather-wise Middle Tennessee is fairly comfortable for a lot of the year.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:34 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,211,121 times
I think the difference is subtle.

The quickest example I can think of is with my in-laws, who are from a northern part of the Midwest and always wanted to "open up" their house here on a cooler day, like they did at home growing up. But my MIL couldn't figure out why her nose was always stuffy and she "couldn't breathe very well" when they did open up the windows. It took them years to figure out the correlation.

That's the kind of difference the humidity makes ... when you feel the need to run the A/C a lot more than you might normally just to cut the air a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville