Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 06:32 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,087,890 times

Advertisements

The presence of lakes in Mt. Juliet is vastly overblown. There's areas off Saundersville Road that are on the lake but it's not as big of a deal as in Hendersonville. But I don't like lakes anyway so I'm weird and don't even think of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 07:08 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,514,808 times
1. Bedroom community of McMansions and little in the way of a "town center". Education levels are relatively high in both communities. Brentwood is considerably more corporate than anywhere outside of Nashville proper (owing to Cool Springs). But the thing about Brentwood that Mt. Juliet can emulate in short order is a preponderance of million-dollar "mansions". Its proximity to the airport and the lake and a well-regarded school system are assets it can leverage if a core of offices like Cool Springs ever develops along I-40. I know a considerable number of corporate managers who built their houses in Mt. Juliet. Their children attend local public schools, but one of the families sends their children to MBA and Harpeth Hall. Then again, I know many families who live in Williamson who do the same.
He said if it weren't for the lake, he'd have moved to Green Hills.

2. Not splitting hairs, there is a wide area of lakefront that contains Mt. Juliet addresses. It sits directly across Old Hickory Lake from Hendersonville. Whereas Hendersonville is loaded with lots of stunning lake homes, the MJ side did not appear to be anywhere near as developed. I haven't actually been to that side of MJ in several years. That gets back to my question about what, if anything, is being developed along the lake.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:48 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,737,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
1. Bedroom community of McMansions and little in the way of a "town center". Education levels are relatively high in both communities. Brentwood is considerably more corporate than anywhere outside of Nashville proper (owing to Cool Springs). But the thing about Brentwood that Mt. Juliet can emulate in short order is a preponderance of million-dollar "mansions". Its proximity to the airport and the lake and a well-regarded school system are assets it can leverage if a core of offices like Cool Springs ever develops along I-40. I know a considerable number of corporate managers who built their houses in Mt. Juliet. Their children attend local public schools, but one of the families sends their children to MBA and Harpeth Hall. Then again, I know many families who live in Williamson who do the same.
He said if it weren't for the lake, he'd have moved to Green Hills.

2. Not splitting hairs, there is a wide area of lakefront that contains Mt. Juliet addresses. It sits directly across Old Hickory Lake from Hendersonville. Whereas Hendersonville is loaded with lots of stunning lake homes, the MJ side did not appear to be anywhere near as developed. I haven't actually been to that side of MJ in several years. That gets back to my question about what, if anything, is being developed along the lake.
Brentwood isn't a bunch of new, cheap "McMansions." It has tons of ranches. There aren't a lot of newer neighborhoods until you get out to the far east part. The multimillion dollar custom built homes in neighborhoods like Princeton Hills are hardly "McMansions."

A preponderance of million dollars homes would sit unsold in Mt Juliet. There's just not a huge demand for neighborhoods full of million dollar homes there. There are definitely million dollar homes, but not lots of neighborhoods full of them. If there was a big demand for million + dollar homes, builders would be building them. Right now, there are 6 listings for over $1 million in Mt Juliet, nearly all of which come with a considerable amount of acreage. By contrast, there are 203 listings over $1 million in Brentwood alone. More than 10x the amount as in all of Wilson County.

Brentwood has a median income twice Mt Juliet and a college attainment level twice Mt Juliet.

Mt Juliet compares more favorable to Franklin, but Franklin still has a much higher median income and much higher college degree attainment.

Adults over 25 with college degrees or higher:
Mt Juliet: 34%
Franklin: 61%
Brentwood: 73%

Median Household Income:
Mt Juliet: $66K
Franklin: $82K
Brentwood: $132

Median Home Price:
Mt Juliet: $210
Franklin: $315K
Brentwood: $481

https://www.city-data.com/city/Mount-...Tennessee.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Franklin-Tennessee.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Brentwood-Tennessee.html

Old 11-04-2015, 08:10 PM

You completely missed the word "potential". The implication is that the elements exist. Brentwood has popped up over the past 40 years (i.e. relatively new)... and any up-and-coming area of higher incomes and access to prime locations will be new.

I never used the word "cheap". Although I understand the connotation with McMansion is sometimes that. It shouldn't. The greater meaning is they are similar in size, style and all that the Joneses and the Smiths etc. want in a NEW house. I go to Brentwood a lot... my sister and a brother live there. They have McMansions. One is older and completely renovated. The other is brand new and cost well over a million. I know what Brentwood offers, and my point is that much of it is new. In other words, it's not the "old world" of Belle Meade (harder to replicate) or even Green Hills, although lots of newcomers are doing their best to wipe out the charm of old Green Hills.

I also did not suggest income levels... and you sure do have those numbers handy. But even you might admit that the location of Brentwood adds the premium that we've been speaking of. You seem a tad sensitive to the "rival Brentwood" comment. Ahem... either you've gotten a bit full of your Brentwood address, or you're a bit sensitive to the fact that it is not Belle Meade or Forest Hills.

You never saw a comment by me that Brentwood is not nice. But let's face it... that at an acre per house, it will be built out within a few years. It's great for my brother and sister... but frankly, I don't think it has much character. That being said, I doubt my opinion will affect the average price of your house. With less than half the population of Franklin, Brentwood will be able to keep those higher income and home price levels when you start taking the averages across the whole town(s). Likewise for Mt. Juliet which will surpass Brentwood's population by 2025. As mentioned on this forum, I remember when Brentwood was what Mt. Juliet looks like now. Once again, let's go back to the word, "potential". Anything can change the outcomes.

Last edited by shinestx; 11-04-2015 at 08:23 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 08:17 PM

593 posts, read 1,357,421 times
Quote:
There is a wide area of lakefront that contains Mt. Juliet addresses. It sits directly across Old Hickory Lake from Hendersonville. Whereas Hendersonville is loaded with lots of stunning lake homes, the MJ side did not appear to be anywhere near as developed. I haven't actually been to that side of MJ in several years. That gets back to my question about what, if anything, is being developed along the lake.
Hendersonville had a few decades' head start, for one thing. Mount Juliet was a quite rural place up until 10-15 years ago. Hendersonville has been a developing city for much longer. MJ is only now getting to the population Hendersonville had in the 1980s and has only really exploded in the last ten years, so it missed out on the various luxury-home building booms other parts of the Nashville area saw.

Part of that is the geography of Old Hickory Lake. Not only was Hendersonville already bigger when the lake was formed in the 1950s, but the dam is very close to the center of Hendersonville, which created lots of lakefront close to the heart of town and made it a desirable place to live. Mount Juliet doesn't start until several miles upstream and the lakefront isn't near anything in particular, so there wasn't a rush to buy it up and build luxury homes and neighborhoods.

I suspect over the next 10-20 years you'll see plenty of nice lakefront homes built in Mount Juliet, although they may have to tear down a relic from the 1960s first.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
Quote:
I never used the word "cheap". Although I understand the connotation with McMansion is sometimes that. It shouldn't. I go to Brentwood a lot... my sister and a brother live there. They have McMansions. One is older and completely renovated. The other is brand new and cost well over a million. I know what Brentwood offers, and my point is that much of it is new. In other words, it's not the "old world" of Belle Meade (harder to replicate) or even Green Hills, although lots of newcomers are doing their best to wipe out the charm of old Green Hills.

I also did not suggest income levels... and you sure do have those numbers handy. But even you might admit that the location of Brentwood adds the premium that we've been speaking of. You seem a tad sensitive to the "rival Brentwood" comment. Ahem... either you've gotten a bit full of your Brentwood address, or you're a bit sensitive to the fact that it is not Belle Meade or Forest Hills.

You never saw a comment by me that Brentwood is not nice. But let's face it... that at an acre per house, it will be built out within a few years. It's great for my brother and sister... but frankly, I don't think it has much character. That being said, I doubt my opinion will affect the average price of your house.
Your snark is really out of place here.

Brentwoodgirl responded with factual info. "Had those numbers handy?" That's what the most helpful posters here do. And it's easy to "have the numbers handy" because the numbers are readily available and very clear.

I don't think anyone here is trying to say that Brentwood is charming. Mt Juliet was a small country town whose recent growth has been driven by one massive development. Most Nashville residents always considered Mt Juliet to be "out of town." It was never a true suburb.

Brentwood is 11 miles from downtown Nashville, and its early housing patterns mirror that of nearby Forest Hills. You're the only one who brought up Belle Meade in what seems like a random attempt to throw shade at Brentwood, which apparently isn't even one of the OP's real choices.

OP, you asked if Franklin is "normal" because you got some feeling that it's uppity. If being around affluent people worries you or makes you uncomfortable in any way, you should not move there. It's full of plenty of nice, friendly folks from all over, but if you feel in your gut that Mt Juliet feels more like home to you, you certainly should move there.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:31 PM

See above for explanation.. and reference to word "potential".

Does anyone who has been to Mt. Juliet recently care to address my question as to why larger homes have not been built out to the lake? Seems like the mere mention of Mt. Juliet and Brentwood in the same comment hit a nerve with someone. Maybe that will help the OP with his/her concerns that Williamson County might be uppity.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:33 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,737,411 times
Quote:
You completely missed the word "potential". The implication is that the elements exist. Brentwood has popped up over the past 40 years (i.e. relatively new)... and any up-and-coming area of higher incomes and access to prime locations will be new.

I never used the word "cheap". Although I understand the connotation with McMansion is sometimes that. It shouldn't. The greater meaning is they are similar in size, style and all that the Joneses and the Smiths etc. want in a NEW house. I go to Brentwood a lot... my sister and a brother live there. They have McMansions. One is older and completely renovated. The other is brand new and cost well over a million. I know what Brentwood offers, and my point is that much of it is new. In other words, it's not the "old world" of Belle Meade (harder to replicate) or even Green Hills, although lots of newcomers are doing their best to wipe out the charm of old Green Hills.

You never saw a comment by me that Brentwood is not nice. But let's face it... that at an acre per house, it will be built out within a few years. It's great for my brother and sister... but frankly, I don't think it has much character. That being said, I doubt my opinion will affect the average price of your house. With less than half the population of Franklin, Brentwood will be able to keep those higher income and home price levels when you start taking the averages across the whole town(s).
There are tons of Jones in Brentwood, many of them living in ranches. Brentwood is not all about new and flashy. The vast majority if it is neither. People pay $500,000+ to live mid century ranches. The term McMansion doesn't apply to mid century ranches.

And I've said on this board many times that Brentwood is not the old wealth of Belle Meade.

I actually think Brentwood has a lot of charm. They've done a great job retaining a lot of the open land and old mansions. Crockett Park has several older homes in it, and a few years ago the city purchased the old Ravenswood mansion and made the grounds into a park. I'm hoping something similar will happen whenever the farm at Concord and Franklin Rd goes up for sale.

I lived Green Hills, Oak Hill, and Brentwood, and to me Brentwood is the most charming. Although I liked the location of Oak Hill the best.

And yes, I had the numbers handy. They are on a website called City-data, ever heard of it?

Old 11-04-2015, 08:36 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
Quote:
See above for explanation.. and reference to word "potential".

Does anyone who has been to Mt. Juliet recently care to address my question as to why larger homes have not been built out to the lake? Seems like the mere mention of Mt. Juliet and Brentwood in the same comment hit a nerve with someone. Maybe that will help the OP with his/her concerns that Williamson County might be uppity.

You are the one who keeps throwing out bait, then insisting that you're hitting a nerve, when we are just answering questions.

The Corps of Engineers doesn't allow homes on Percy Priest.

Mt Juliet is barely on Old Hickory Lake.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:42 PM

I have read your comments about Brentwood and they're a fair reflection of what I know of the town. And yes, I've seen the dwindling number of ranches there too... one my aunt and uncle lived in back in the 80s. The land was subdivided and now has six McMansions (the good and expensive kind).

But getting back to the subject at hand... I can answer questions about Hendersonville (my parents just sold their farm for a development, presumably for McMansions) bur remain very curious about MJ. In light of that perspective, I have (perhaps mistakenly) generally thought of Mt. Juliet as similar to Hendersonville, but considerably behind in development. The latter is a big plus as far as I'm concerned.

As someone who travels extensively, I see the attraction to being 11 miles to the airport (over downtown), and access to the lake. As a lake bum when I was a kid, I know my next house will be on water. Mt. Juliet piques my curiosity too. But I would need room and a nice neighborhood on the lake. It's still probably 4-5 years from now, but I would not be surprised if that's where we end up. I would rather buy already built... and certainly don't want to overpay per square foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville