Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 12:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Advertisements

It's not likely, not anytime soon.

The major RRs here have flatly stated that they have no interest in sharing any of their right of way with local governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 01:13 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,480,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

The major RRs here have flatly stated that they have no interest in sharing any of their right of way with local governments.
Thats a True disapointment. Nashville is in desperate need of Rail, especially with it's Traffic issues.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:30 PM

9,686 posts, read 9,409,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
It used to be special. Now its just like every other. A man from New Jersey opening up a bar in the next trendy area of city is not what i call CHARM.
Awww, I see the glass half full. There is a reason why so many young people are moving to the area if it weren't a special place. Nashville has the creative thing down, the history, and of course, trendy areas as you say. I don't believe that just because things are changing, it is necessarily a bad thing. The opening of a local business, whether it be a bar, salon, art studio, coffee shop, only adds to the economy, and Nashville has seen a big boost in the opening of local businesses.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:31 PM

9,686 posts, read 9,409,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Old 09-28-2015, 01:37 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Is there any word if Nashville will ever get sometype of Light Rail System??? Its really needed for a City its size... If Charlotte has one Nashville could surely use one
It takes a lot of money to build and maintain good public infrustructure especially LRT. N. Carolina isn't as conservative as Tennessee is. People are willing to pay for it. Outside of Davidson county who would want to foot the bill. A reasonable amount of density has to exist to insure LRT will attract the ridership to make it worth the billions investment.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:38 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Awww, I see the glass half full. There is a reason why so many young people are moving to the area if it weren't a special place. Nashville has the creative thing down, the history, and of course, trendy areas as you say. I don't believe that just because things are changing, it is necessarily a bad thing. The opening of a local business, whether it be a bar, salon, art studio, coffee shop, only adds to the economy, and Nashville has seen a big boost in the opening of local businesses.
I don't know if you grew up here originally, but I think titanspreds did, and I did as well. As a 30 year old who didn't move here from another area I don't know why people are moving here, I just go by what people say or think about the place. I just know it from my preconceived notions and it's a cool city and the growth is certainly stimulating the economy but the Nashville of 2015 isn't the one I'm accustomed to growing up. I don't feel the same attachment to the city now that I used to and that's probably why I don't have a lot of interest in staying here long-term from where I stand now. Part of me is curious what it's like to move here from somewhere and to immerse yourself in Nashville as a new city, but that's not something I can do.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:16 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
OP, did you know there already is commuter rail in Nashville? So you have the option of moving to Lebanon and riding the rails. The city will be happy to see ridership increase.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:23 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,339,591 times
It should also be noted that there is a distinct difference between Light Rail and Commuter Rail.

Commuter Rail is what you see with the Music City Star.

Commuter Rail is more suited for higher speeds, limited stops, and longer distances.

Light Rail is more suited for lower speeds, more frequent stops, and shorter distances. LRT is generally more like a longer version of a streetcar, but usually with a dedicated ROW (though sometimes they do have tracks on city streets). In terms of looks, some can look more like buses than trains.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:56 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
It should also be noted that there is a distinct difference between Light Rail and Commuter Rail.

Commuter Rail is what you see with the Music City Star.

Commuter Rail is more suited for higher speeds, limited stops, and longer distances.

Light Rail is more suited for lower speeds, more frequent stops, and shorter distances. LRT is generally more like a longer version of a streetcar, but usually with a dedicated ROW (though sometimes they do have tracks on city streets). In terms of looks, some can look more like buses than trains.
Good point. And with that in mind, I believe there is a much greater chance of some kind of bus rapid transit happening than any kind of rail transit. Since TDOT has stated they are on a "maintenance-only" budget right now, the state does not have the $$ to build any kind of rail infrastructure, and obviously federal funds for that kind of project are not a factor right now. The governor said yesterday he would not pursue an increase in the gas tax (the main source of TDOT road construction/repair revenue) while reps are up for re-election in 2016, which certainly rules out any kind of push for a property tax increase (i.e. "penny for the train" effort) so any mass transit effort will need to be as easy and low-cost as possible.

Some options that have been discussed include expanding the RTA commuter buses service, which works if you work at Vanderbilt or in walking distance of the downtown bus station, and/or establishing a "bus on shoulder" lane for interstate travel. I also think there is an option to expand MTA bus service into Brentwood/Maryland Farms, but none of these will solve the massive influx that hits the interstates each morning, nor will they resolve the cross-town tie-ups that occur all over the region.

But I know there are teams working on it in every county in the MSA.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:31 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,511,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
It takes a lot of money to build and maintain good public infrustructure especially LRT. N. Carolina isn't as conservative as Tennessee is. People are willing to pay for it. Outside of Davidson county who would want to foot the bill. A reasonable amount of density has to exist to insure LRT will attract the ridership to make it worth the billions investment.
The state that had Jesse Helms as its senator for more than 20 years not as conservative as any other state? As a former resident of the great state of NC, I can attest to it being every bit as conservative (on a whole) as any other state in the country. The elections of 2008 (Obama) and 2012 (Romney narrowly) were more a reflection of high black voter turnout in the state and suppression of the conservative vote. But that's a point to ponder another day.

Actually, NC and Georgia both had an easier time getting LRT in their respective cities because the state actually owns the R.O.W. for the main railroad lines that crisscross the state. Tennessee's legislature basically surrendered the states ownership/rights to the predecessor of Norfolk Southern (in the east) and CSX (middle and west) in the first part of the last century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville