Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 3,056 times

Advertisements

Hello , excited about my narrowed down and final dicision to move to Nashville area. Have done alot of reading through these threads, and some questions are not quite clearly answered for me. So, me...I am SWF, late forties, with one child. I plan on moving very soon, within the next month. I am looking to rent for starters, but, wow, rents are very high as seen on craigslist and other sites. Need very good school, as my son is a gifted student and in all advanced classes here now. Neighborhood scout rated middle and high schools in hendersonville as 8 or 9 I think. Others are rated 3 or 4 in and around the city of Nashville itself. Magnet, charter schools will be a direct consideration after we are settled, as those are on a lottery pick anyway. So, my concern is, where to live and have my son in a good school that I can afford. I am jill of all trades sorts with associates degree in liberal arts, which will hopefully land me at the least a $10 an hour job until more established. Hendersonville looks nice, with bike paths? All things considered, I am used to living in a small town for past ten years, so its very scary and exciting to be relocating with such a huge population 250,000 and more in surrounding areas. Im a bit of a hard one I know, but, if anyone has any recommendations for towns with good schools and affordable without being in lower class or run down area, (is there such?) and next to a bus route? I so kindly thank you for any answers or suggestions in advance and letting me know what you think. Im very excited to make new freinds and move out of Florida period and start over in Nash area. Thanks again !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 08:57 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,110,291 times
Yes, rents are high here. What is your rental budget? The Nashville area is also not great for public transportation. Will you have a car? Or be totally depending on the bus service???

Old 04-02-2015, 10:14 AM

Thanks country girl, yup...selling my truck just to relocate, so I will be totally dependent on public transit for a while, you say pub trans not so good... oh dear, how come? .... and highest rent to pay would be 750, most likely for a one bedrm, while I sacrifice for the sofa, lol, (worth it for us) ....

Old 04-02-2015, 04:03 PM

4,352 posts, read 4,741,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly222 View Post
Thanks country girl, yup...selling my truck just to relocate, so I will be totally dependent on public transit for a while, you say pub trans not so good... oh dear, how come? .... and highest rent to pay would be 750, most likely for a one bedrm, while I sacrifice for the sofa, lol, (worth it for us) ....
I would seriously rethink this if you are selling your transportation, can only afford $750/month and do not have a job already. Seriously.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:15 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,110,291 times
Elly,

I think a lot of America isn't great for public transportation. Americans love their cars! And gas is so much cheaper here than in other parts of the world. I'm not saying it would be impossible for you to find a cheap apartment on a bus line BUT it would be very hard. Add a VERY good school district and that's even more of a stretch. You should see if you can save some money first so you don't have to give up your truck. N. Cal is right . . . .

On the plus side, my 17 year old niece has a job that pays $10 an hour and she's in HS so that might not be impossible to come by. But rents are high and buses are few and far between.

Save up!

CG

Old 04-02-2015, 05:51 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,758,914 times
East Nashville, Inglewood & Madison are on the busline. Not sure you'll find anything in your price range in those neighborhoods tho. Maybe Madison.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:26 PM

Thank you country girl, and N. Cal and Art, I think I realized after I typed and sent out my second post, it must have sounded absurd, so I do appreciate your response very much, thank you (all). I mean, I am eager to move, but true true, one really should have a vehicle. This little chat has changed my timing in all decency towards reconsideration and still remain true to my goals with a little more savings and again, time. My my, us, Americans want such a quick fix dont we ?..... A humble Thank You !!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,745,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly222 View Post
Thank you country girl, and N. Cal and Art, I think I realized after I typed and sent out my second post, it must have sounded absurd, so I do appreciate your response very much, thank you (all). I mean, I am eager to move, but true true, one really should have a vehicle. This little chat has changed my timing in all decency towards reconsideration and still remain true to my goals with a little more savings and again, time. My my, us, Americans want such a quick fix dont we ?..... A humble Thank You !!
Sounds good. You don't want your Nashville dream to turn into a nightmare. We'll be here to help when you decide you are ready to move. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: