Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:43 AM

8 posts, read 24,410 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some direction on where we may want to relocate. We will be planning a trip soon to check out all of the possibilities. I have no idea where to start looking, we don't know anyone there and have only visited downtown Nashville once.

We are a young family relocating for work. I would like the commute into Nashville to be about 45 minutes with traffic or less. My top priorities are good schools and low crime.

My kids will just be starting preschool so it would be important to have good schools for all ages, as we expect this move to be permanent. I am hoping for good public schools. I would like to avoid private if possible.

I would like a nice safe neighborhood, 3 bedroom house with a yard, around $150,000. That's really the max I'd like to pay. I would like to live somewhere we can go on walks and feel safe, and somewhere with parks and other kid friendly activities nearby.

My retired parents will also be relocating with us and buying a separate house, but their budget will be lower since they need a lot less room.

I don't know where to begin. I think we will probably want to live in a suburb or a small town very close to Nashville. I would really appreciate any suggestions for us to go check out. This is a little terrifying to uproot my family, I really hope to find somewhere we can love.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 12:33 PM

25 posts, read 46,359 times
Hello
These would be my recommendations Mt. Juliet, Hendersonville, lebeonon, fairview. I suggest you do not buy in Davidson county , which is Nashville metro school system, these schools are horrible. Look at the suburbs above for good schools with safe areas to live. Mt. Juliet has excellent public schools , has a decent park for kids, easy access to Nashville metro I.e jobs and shopping etc. 150k is doable maybe for an older 3 bedroom in these areas. Newer houses go for around 200k to 350k around here. Good thing though is property taxes are pretty low so if your coming from a highly taxed region that will be a bonus for you. Good luck to you.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:56 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,145,472 times
You can check out houses on

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder

Mt Juliet & Lebanon are in Wilson County.

Hendersonville is in Sumner County.

Fairview is in Williamson County.

HINT: Don't put a comma in your price range . . just put 100000 to 150000. For some reason it does not like commas!

Where in Nashville is the job? This will help us determine in which direction (east/west/north/south) you should look to stay within your desired commute time. Going THROUGH Nashville at rush hour can be cumbersome.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:11 PM

4,367 posts, read 4,777,105 times
Quote:

Where in Nashville is the job?
This.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:22 PM

I appreciate all of your replies. The office is in the 800 Block of broadway.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:43 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,790,540 times
I would recommend Hendersonville. It would be the shortest commute, plus it has excellent schools.

The commute to Lebanon would be a deal breaker for me. Fairview would be a stretch as well.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:26 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,590,739 times
I would start with Google. You can Google just about any info you want......
Best of luck in your search....

Just ask Google for:

crime rates,
Area's know for high crime rates are mostly to the south and east of downtown. Check it for yourself.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Tennessee.html

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Crime Statistics

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Crime Statistics

Tennessee ranks highest in violent crime rate - WKRN News 2

Nashville > Police Department > News and Reports > Crime Statistics

Nashville > Police Department > News and Reports > Crime Statistics > Nashville Crime Statistics

Safe and Dangerous Places in Nashville - AOL Travel Ideas

Dangerous Nashville? | Nashville | Yelp

COL info,
North & West Nashville are higher for a reason.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...ille-area.html

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Cost of Living

Local Cost Of Living Data for Nashville Tennessee

Update Flash Player

Welcome to Forbes

Cost of living: Nashville, TN (KW, TH)

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2014 at 06:26 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 PM

Thanks everyone. You have been very helpful! I have already been googling and researching but it was all getting confusing and overwhelming, since I'm not at all familiar with the area. Your guidance is really appreciated and has given me a good starting point.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:02 PM

I'd still love to hear from anyone else with suggestions!

Old 11-08-2014, 07:02 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,590,739 times
For self preference, I would look at Mt. Juliet as a starting point.
18 miles one way to downtown.
COL is affordable. hope this helps...

City of Mt. Juliet, Tennessee

Mount Juliet, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...mt-juliet.html

Last edited by JMT; 11-08-2014 at 07:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville