Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:30 AM

136 posts, read 211,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billparker56 View Post
Hi guys I'm moving to Williamson county with its low crime and good schools. I say I'm progressive so I want my kids to see people of other skin colors (not necessarily different cultures) but I don't want to deal with the higher crime rates, poorer schools and more social and neighborhood issues involved.

Help me teach my kids 'diversity' by telling me where I can find upper class wealthy children with different skin color.
So what you are looking for is people just like yourself who happen to have a different amount of melanin in their skin. Sorry but I don't really find this to be a very progressive point of view...Looking for wealthy kids of different skin color is about as superficial as you can get. That is not diversity - or if it is, it's the most meaningless kind of diversity and don't kid yourself (or your kid) into thinking that is real diversity.

If you want your kids to experience diversity, then it's people's culture and socioeconomic backgrounds not their skin color, that determine diversity. Having a rich black kid as a friend is not really any more diverse than having a rich white friend, if you fall into the "affluent class". You simply are assigning the "diversity card" to an individual based on his/her race, and I think that faded with the 90s. Kids these days are pretty accepting of people of color, unless parents have totally brainwashed them to think otherwise.

If you actually care about diversity, then you should seek out a truly diverse neighborhood. If you don't really care about exposing your kids to diversity (which is fine also), then find your nice safe upper class neighborhood, and there will probably be a few minority families who live there. I send my son to private school in Nashville, and there are quite a few minorities there, and also families of varied economic status due to financial aid... so that is an expensive way to provide diversity, and even then, I would describe it as "diversity-light". However I did not send him to private school to experience diversity. If I really truly cared about diversity, then I would move somewhere where there is true ethnic and socio-economic mix in a concentrated area. There are parts of Franklin that have a higher percent of minorities - including African American and Latino, but to say you don't want to "deal with the neighborhood or social issues", is contrary to the spirit of experiencing diversity.

Last edited by budgiegirl; 02-02-2015 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 10:56 AM

374 posts, read 693,868 times
Budgiegirl: BillParker56 is a conservative mocking the progressives' posts in this thread.

Last edited by sucrose; 02-02-2015 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 08:29 AM

78 posts, read 137,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlg620 View Post
My husband and I, along with our 2 young daughters (6 & 2), are considering relocating to Franklin from Brooklyn, NY to gain a better quality, more convenient, and more affordable lifestyle for our young family plus, we want to be closer to my retired parents who live in Franklin. They want to be involved with helping (ie. babysit, pick up from school, extracurricular activities) with our kids. A little back story, I grew up in Franklin but left in the early 90's. I have lived in NYC for 17 years, my hubby his whole life. Good Schools are the highest priority for us so this is why Williamson Co/Franklin is ideal but the tradeoff is that we lose the diversity and the progressive mindset that we are so used to. We're not political but we are liberal, and I'm worried about not fitting in or finding people like us. I am concerned that my children will lose the natural lessons of diversity and tolerance that they see and experience in their current neighborhood. I understand that children learn most of that from home but there are definitely life lessons in having a class of kids from all different backgrounds. We are not trying to recreate Brooklyn but I’m wondering what Progressive Parents do for their kids in Williamson Co/Franklin and if they are happy? We have considered Nashville neighborhoods like East Nashville, Sylvan Park and Bellevue for it's diversity but on first glance the schools are chancy and at this time, we can not afford private school. We know that this is going to be a big lifestyle change for us, (particularly my hubby has to become more comfortable with driving) but we are ready to embrace the change.
Thank you in advance for your response.
Oh the irony!!

Old 02-03-2015, 11:48 AM

940 posts, read 1,903,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoner7 View Post
Oh the irony!!
But maybe they want this option in Franklin: like-minded parents with which to team up for home schooling in Williamson. And if the kids start talking about jobs where they can actually help make things people want, or do things people need done, the parents can all agree "don't let (the kids) tell you...businesses create jobs"

Hillary: 'Don't Let Anybody Tell You' That 'Businesses Create Jobs' - Breitbart

Last edited by groovamos; 02-03-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 03:23 PM

39 posts, read 62,440 times
Even the Williamson County schools are not up to the standards you'll find in the Northeast. While you have good suburban schools in Boston and Westchester putting kids into Stanford, Duke, UVA, Ivy, etc; much of the top Williamson schools place their top students into University of Tennessee and Ole Miss. Less than impressive. Couple that with the fact that you'll be around ill-informed tea partiers and it's probably best to avoid Williamson County completely. I would stay in Nashville and try to get placement into USN or Ensworth. The $$ will be well worth it.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:19 PM

49 posts, read 102,323 times
Hi there! I have been following this thread because I am in a similar position to OP (though we are considering a move in 2 or so years) with similar concerns. Are there are particular neighborhoods in Nashville you recommend looking into?

Old 04-30-2015, 06:51 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,424,170 times
It's probably like being a conservative in the liberal sinkhole that is NY: it sucks.

I grew up in NY and then moved to CT. I hate both. I can't imagine why someone who is easily affected by politics would intentionally move somewhere of the opposite spectrum--and then vote for the same people to create the same problems you chose to leave behind. hmmmmm.

Your COL is so high BECAUSE of the progressive "leaders" you have. Andrew Cuomo wanted to spend millions more, giving FREE college education to prisoners. Sounds like you would probably struggle sending your own children to college and yet you vote for someone who would take even more from you to pay for a drug dealer to learn how to run his "business" better.

Why bring such nonsense to TN? Leave NY behind and accept your new home, or stay where you are.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:33 PM

374 posts, read 693,868 times
So, we've learned A) you hate where you live, and B) you want the poster to accept advice from someone whose ideology she doesn't share.

That was helpful.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:52 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,424,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
So, we've learned A) you hate where you live, and B) you want the poster to accept advice from someone whose ideology she doesn't share.

That was helpful.
Nope. If anything, I can sympathize with the OP, other than the fact that they would choosing to move INTO the situation. I want OP to know that if local or state politics is something that affects their emotional state, then it can potentially make them miserable to be surrounded by ideologies that are constantly antagonistic to their own.

If liberal hipster Brooklyn is your ideal cultural environment, it makes little sense to move to somewhere like TN. Maybe not. I'm just a guy on the internet with an opinion, like you.

It is worth noting that the NYC metro is so expensive in [large] part because of it's politics, and therefore, to leave because of those expenses and then expect it to be free in another state is just silly. Maybe some good old "reverse gentrification" bringing a ghetto low income housing unit to a Brentwood-Near-You would change your mind? Happens all the time on Long Island and in CT.

Greater Nashville is on the rise (a quick one), don't ruin by taking pages from the books of states that have been stagnant or in decline for the last decade +

Last edited by Sigequinox; 05-01-2015 at 04:15 PM..

Old 05-01-2015, 08:12 PM

8 posts, read 18,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlg620 View Post
considering relocating to Franklin from Brooklyn, NY to gain a better quality, more convenient, and more affordable lifestyle
When a political minority, one who has been marginalized and disenfranchised by the tyranny of the majority, attempts to escape where they are being oppressed, such as a conservative trying to leave statist NY for a compatible populace, it is utterly understandable, and often necessary to restore freedoms they have been robbed of.

But the irony of one having to escape their own political allies and the social and economic consequences of their policies, while planning to spread the same theories to an area which is more desirable simply because it has not enacted the same policies is certainly a bit rich. The "progressive" paradox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville