Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 01:17 PM

142 posts, read 242,437 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was just offered a job in Nashville at Vanderbilt. I'll make about 40K before taxes. Is that enough to live in a middle-class, comfortable neighborhood? I'm single, no kids, and really don't need much. I do want to live someplace safe and clean. Are their neighborhoods you'd recommend? I'd prefer an apartment complex, not too close to the colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 01:36 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,455 times
Most areas near Vandy are very expensive. With that salary (which isn't that low) I'd look in Bellevue.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:04 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,092,819 times
Congratulations! I would think you could certainly exist here on that salary . . no personal income tax here if that makes a difference? Bellevue is a good suggestion.

Here are some apartments that some friends of mine used to live in . . .

Apartments in Nashville, TN | Colonial Grand at Bellevue

But there are more to choose from. Looks like maybe $1000 a month at this place but I bet you could find something for closer to $800 . . . about half an hour drive, maybe less, depending on your work hours.

Hillsboro tends to back up but you'd have a couple of side street options that you'd get to know.

You could easily get to Brentwood or Franklin or downtown from there for entertainment, if you so desired.

Oh, someone on the board mentioned that they went looking for apartments and found one for a certain price. They went back THE NEXT DAY and the rent had increased by $75 a month! So be careful about that happening. Seems like a rip off to me . . . but the area is quite popular right now so I guess they can get what they want for apartments.

Best of luck!

Old 11-19-2014, 02:14 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,399,070 times
Everybody's definition of "comfortable" and "middle class" is different. Make a budget with your expenses and do the math. How do feel about commuting from a less expensive neighborhood?

Old 11-19-2014, 02:26 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,893 times
I think thats a great salary for Nashville. How far are you willing to commute? There's lots of apartment choices in the area.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:18 PM

142 posts, read 242,437 times
I could easily commute for 45 minutes. I had to commute 1 hr and 15 minutes one way for my last job, so a commute doesn't scare me! By comfortable and middle class, I mean not living in a ghetto or a shoebox apartment (at least 650 sq feet) and not eating cat food. I really don't need much. I read and enjoy walking through parks, so entertainment money isn't needed.

I know how to budget, but Nashville is all over the place with the rents, so I thought I'd ask. I stayed in Green Hills (I think that's what it's called) near Vandy when I interviewed. It was very nice, but the rentals are $1800 a month there! So that's out. I just wanted to make sure my salary will rent me something decent within an hour's radius.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm checking them out before I answer Vandy yes or no to the job.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:27 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,092,819 times
This is a great apartment thread for Franklin. Particularly post #24. A bit dated but you can check out the current prices online . . .

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...artment-3.html

How much would you WANT to spend?

Old 11-19-2014, 03:48 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,723,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Everybody's definition of "comfortable" and "middle class" is different. Make a budget with your expenses and do the math. How do feel about commuting from a less expensive neighborhood?
This.

Do your own budget. And if you plan to commute from less expensive rents, factor the commute costs in too.

$40K would be more than enough for some people and not even half of the required amount for others.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,473,343 times
I am about to move to Nashville this summer as well but I work in health care I will get paid more but Nashville is a very affordable city to live and its pretty safe for the most part for a major US City. You could look into East Nashville, some apartment complexes in Brentwood and Franklin are expensive but in the 1000-1500 range, both towns are super safe and upscale for the most part but not snobby, both have affordable housing. Good Luck.. Nashville is an awesome city to live in. I can't wait to move to Nashville as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: