Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,400 times

Advertisements

So, for FBLA Nationals, I'm spending 6 days in the Opryland Hotel. From what I've seen it looks huuuuuge and like a lot of fun to stay in! Wondering if anyone could give me a rough guess of about how much money I might need for food and shopping?
Are the places to eat/shop in the resort very bad expensive or at least kind of reasonable?
What is a part of the resort that I definitely need to check out? What restaurant was really good?

Are there any malls pretty close by? What about Walmart, does Walmart carry any Memphis Redbirds apparel? (I'm coming from Missouri, and as the Redbirds are the STL Cardinals' Triple-A affiliates...yeah haha)

I have been told that room service is way to expensive to fool with?

Anything really that you want to say about it is fine with me!!! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 07:07 PM

584 posts, read 1,138,076 times
You're right, Opryland Hotel IS huuuuuge. How much $ do you have for shopping? Opry Mills Mall is within walking distance of the Opryland Hotel. I haven't eaten in Opryland Hotel. I can't help you there. Opry Mills has a Mexican restaurant, a Johnny Rockets, a Claim Jumpers, Rainforest Cafe, the restaurant w/ the aquarium...

I have never seen Memphis Redbirds apparel in a Nashville area store.

Have fun at FBLA Nationals!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,053,319 times
It is a very cool place, although the novelty will wear off before 6 days are up. It is so big that I get lost very time I go there.

You will go broke trying to eat in the hotel only for 6 days. It is VERY expensive because you are a captive audience. Restaurants are open limited hours also. They may still offer shuttles to the Opry Mills Mall mall next door or restaurants nearby (Cracker Barrel, etc).

I think there is a Kroger on McGavock Pike, but the problem is you will have to take a cab or pay to park a car each time you leave the property. Room service is way too expensive to fool with. They add service charges that are totally unreasonable,

Just try to make a grocery run so you aren't desperate. I believe they provide free water bottles in your room, which is nice. Ask about other perks at check-in. Have a great trip, and order your Redbirds stuff online.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:29 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,751,320 times
There's also a Publix on Lebanon Pike, and the nearest Walmart is on Dickerson Pike.

I've never seen any of the Redbird stuff in any area store.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:14 PM

584 posts, read 1,138,076 times
If there is a way to make hot water in the room (coffee pot), pack along some packets of instant oatmeal with travel/disposable coffee cups and spoons. Pack trail mix or nuts for high protein snacks, pre-packaged peanut butter and crackers or cheese spread and crackers, granola and/or granola bars.

Are you driving or flying? I have frozen drinkable yogurts to take on an airplane and kept several cold with ice from the ice machine at the destination hotel.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:31 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,354,128 times
I would be extremely surprised if you found Redbirds gear in Nashville, as we have our own AAA team.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:56 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,738,777 times
I couldn't even find Memphis Grizzlies gear in Nashville during the playoffs, so I would guess Redbirds would be virtually impossible to find.

The food in the hotel is not only expensive, it's also not very good. So you are paying a lot for subpar food. The hamburger place close to the boat rides is really good. And you can walk over to the mall to find some places to eat. But I agree with having some snacks/groceries in your room as well. The longest I've stayed in the hotel was 3 days for a conference and the long walks and food got old very quickly.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,996,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post

The food in the hotel is not only expensive, it's also not very good. .
The pizza place (don't know the name) near the ice cream shop (I believe upstairs from DELTA region) is not bad, but like all the stuff in the Opryland hotel complex, it is overpriced. Walk to Opry Mills, the restaurants are fairly good, and not overpriced. I like the Macaroni Grill inside it myself.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 AM

138 posts, read 601,323 times
I love the Opryland Hotel.. I'll be there for a week in August. Can't wait. I guess just like any other "vaca" take extra bucks. everything in the hotel isnt cheap. Youre in a hotel so that is why.. but If you go outside I'm sure you'll find cheaper places to eat.

I can't get enough of RAVELLO's.. I love the food.. and they serve La Crema wine.. but again not cheap.. Good food never is.

I plan to get my fill of the entire brentwood, franklin, Nashville area as I'm going to be house shopping

Have a great trip

Old 06-16-2014, 05:38 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,996,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chella View Post
I love the Opryland Hotel.. I'll be there for a week in August. Can't wait. I guess just like any other "vaca" take extra bucks. everything in the hotel isnt cheap. Youre in a hotel so that is why.. but If you go outside I'm sure you'll find cheaper places to eat.

I can't get enough of RAVELLO's.. I love the food.. and they serve La Crema wine.. but again not cheap.. Good food never is.

I plan to get my fill of the entire brentwood, franklin, Nashville area as I'm going to be house shopping

Have a great trip
If you like authentic terrific Irish food, try (in Franklin)

Welcome to McCreary

Warning: It's very small, and noisy when busy, but I love the food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville