Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:32 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times

Advertisements

Going at the end of next month (April) for a conference and staying at opryland hotel...Arrive Tuesday, leave friday at checkout. Will be at meetings until around 5pm everyday. As always I do a lot of searching but tend to always find things to do to entertain families and/or things to do that close at 5pm.

What are some things you all suggest doing? Are there any local bars or party spots within walking distance? Any can't miss non-chain restaurants? Perhaps an interesting themed restaurant other than the rain forest cafe? Best BBQ, pizza, burgers, etc? Any place to take some good photos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,672 times
Hmmm....I can't say you're going to be in the most exciting place in Nashville. But....there are things to do to keep you busy for a while. You can spend one or two evenings wandering around the hotel. It's actually pretty cool and there are bars and restaurants in there. Of course, Opry Mills mall is next door. There are several restaurants there. Nothing outstanding though. Although, the last time I was there I noticed there was a Blue Coast Burrito. That's a local chain that's really good. There's also an IMAX and a Dave & Busters in the mall. I think there's a sports bar across the street from the hotel...but I can't remember the name of it?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Sadly, Edgefield has hit the nail on the head...unless you're into touristy trap/kitschy places, you're not going to find a lot to do around the hotel. There is a sports bar or two in the hotel itself, and a decent Irish bar in there too. There's also a sports bar (Scoreboard I think?) nearby but I've been in there and it's really nothing too special. The hotel itself is pretty cool though, but after a day of walking around you're going to see everything. There's a Grand Ole Opry museum right next to the Grand Ole Opry house on the adjacent property (next to Opry Mills Mall) that is worth checking out if you're interested in music. But other than that, the area is tourist trap central.

I assume you won't have a car, but the hotel runs shuttles/busses from the hotel to the Wildhorse Saloon downtown and that's a much better way to see the city. Once it drops you off at the Wildhorse you're on Second Avenue and there's lots more to do there. Again, it's touristy, but far better than your outside-the-hotel options at Oland Hotel. I'd suggest Mulligan's on 2nd Ave as a great watering hole. Nearby is Broadway where many of Nashville's legendary honkytonks are located (Tootsie's, Legend's, Robert's Western World). I'd definitely check that area out. There's also a good BBQ spot called Jack's BBQ right near Tootsie's on Broadway. If you have the time, you might walk by the Ryman Auditorium (on 4th Avenue between Broadway and Commerce) as it was the original home of the Grand Ole Opry. There's a pretty decent museum in there and you can take a tour of the building if there are no events going on. Not sure when they close, though.

You mentioned good photos of the city...I think one of the best places is on the Shelby St. Pedestrian Bridge which is about a block south of Broadway and goes over the Cumberland River towards the Titans' stadium LP Field. It's got probably the best "postcard" shot of the skyline you can ask for.

Are you coming to town for the RJ conference?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 AM

21 posts, read 51,404 times
Default near Opryland

My girlfriend and I take annual vacations to Nashville.

One of our absolute favorite restaurants is **** of the Walk. They are a little north of Opryland (on Music Valley Dr), maybe a five-ten minute walk, or two minutes by car. They have fried catfish/shrimp/chicken, hush puppies, hot flipped-out-of-the-pan-in-front-of-you corn bread, and the best cole slaw we have ever had by a factor of ten. It is a little bit touristy and cheesy, but we love it.

Another interesting spot is a Dukes of Hazzard store (Cooter's Place), right next to Opryland (also north). If you remember and enjoyed the show, it is a nostalgic 20 minutes or so walking through looking at the DOH toys, gifts, and a police car and such on display. Definitely not a main attraction, but fun quick little excursion.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:41 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I forgot to mention that when you're downtown you might want to see if there's a Predators hockey game, if you're into that. It's always a fun time.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:26 PM

Thanks everyone. It's a military conference. I will have a car but obviously will not drink and drive.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:53 PM

New question...If I were to book a hotel elsewhere either the weekend before or after, what area should I stay in?

Old 03-25-2010, 05:54 PM

50 posts, read 148,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I forgot to mention that when you're downtown you might want to see if there's a Predators hockey game, if you're into that. It's always a fun time.

The Preds last home game of the regular season is 4/10. Of course, we can always hold out hope for some playoffs action!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:54 PM

569 posts, read 1,424,672 times
Even though downtown is touristy as well...it's still fun. There are lots of honky tonks that you can check out. You can wander in and out of them...there's usually not a cover. Even though I live here...I still like to go around 2nd and Broad on occaison. There's a lot of activity on the weekends downtown. If you're looking for a downtown hotel...check out the Hampton Inn near the County Music Hall of Fame.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:06 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
New question...If I were to book a hotel elsewhere either the weekend before or after, what area should I stay in?
The Hampton Inn downtown is in a great location and within walking distance to 2nd Ave, the arena and other downtown attractions...or somewhere over near Vandy for bars w/ college-age patrons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville