Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 AM

36 posts, read 49,884 times

Advertisements

I see this as a winning idea. They could sell the land the current school is on for BIG $$$$$$$$$ ...probably enough to pay for an entire new school closer to where families with teenage kids actually live. The current "Westmeade-ish" location made sense 40 or 50 years ago but many of the area residents are grandparents of 1970's era Hillwood students.

With a new school, people might be less inclined to send their kids to private schools in that corner of Davidson County, thus less long bus rides from wherever to fill the place up. If they throw in things like the new Stewarts Creek High has in Rutherford County (a recording studio, vet clinic, collision damage repair center, etc.) it could really be a plus.

(would the former "Bellevue Mall" land be large enough to pull it off?)

Any thoughts on this possibility?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...d-high-schools

Last edited by llfndrsng; 02-23-2014 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:35 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
It sounds like a good idea . . . which means it will be rejected by the school board. Yes, I'm kidding, but only half-way. They've been talking about a new library since I moved there some thirty years ago. Imagine the time it would take for a new high school.

Seriously, I don't think I've heard of any plans for a high school in the area, although I don't really keep up with school news.

Were you aware that Bellevue Middle used to be a high school?

Old 02-23-2014, 10:55 AM

36 posts, read 49,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
It sounds like a good idea . . . which means it will be rejected by the school board. Yes, I'm kidding, but only half-way. They've been talking about a new library since I moved there some thirty years ago. Imagine the time it would take for a new high school.

Seriously, I don't think I've heard of any plans for a high school in the area, although I don't really keep up with school news.

Were you aware that Bellevue Middle used to be a high school?
Yes, I knew people who went there when it replaced the one next to the football field that looked like the school from the "Hoosiers" movie. (which became the "junior high" for a short time when the new building opened?)

If you think a school can't go up on time...

Start on page 7 and work your way up to current. When everybody is on the same page, pulling the rope in the same direction - it's get done... on time and can turn out good for the amount of $$ intended.

News | Stewarts Creek High School

From this:

to THIS on time:

Old 02-23-2014, 11:05 AM

Bellevue has a problem politically. Perhaps less so now than when Bredesen was mayor, but it's there. I guess I'm come to expect nothing from Metro.

The actually construction of a building wouldn't be the biggest problem. It would be getting them to ever agree to building a new high school, and then planning for it.

Edited to add: Sorry, I just now clicked the link in your first post. I see it is being discussed.

Last edited by alleycat; 02-23-2014 at 11:27 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 04:30 PM

3,052 posts, read 3,319,811 times
It would be a win if there is room next to the library going up on Baugh road. With the money m something may fit on the site of the old library/community center. The Parks would probably like to expand the Old Caboose Park & have more room for Bellevue Fest & other events.

A Win Win would be on the site of the Mall. Not sure how that Sears store stays open. Maybe Metro could make a deal for the students that want to be auto mechanics.

My guess is we may need something in the Warner Park-Hwy 100 area.

win-Win-win would include a new police/fire/ambulance station.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:25 PM

I'll be glad when they open the new library (next November, I think). I go to the library about once a week; parking can be a problem, especially when there is some event at the community center or when there's an election.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:19 AM

192 posts, read 258,039 times
I'm not confident the city of Nashville or most of the surrounding communities are going to do what they should, build world class high schools rivaling the best privates. There is no excuse in a city like Nashville for there to be such a bedraggled education system and run down schools. Something also needs to be done to preserve the variuos magnificant old stone School buildings around town that all need renovations. The education system in this country is a disgrace to the world. Always money for another music venue, park or ball-field. Millions to build out at Centennial park with a crumbling building next to it and luxury apts all around, it's insanity.
Couldn't the Bellevue Mall make a great location for a High School? Is it still empty and unused?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 AM

815 posts, read 2,019,049 times
Stewart Creek is in Rutherford Countyl so what they do is seperate from Davidson. Does Bellevue have the population to need another high school? If students from Bellvue left Hillwood would would it have enough students to keep it at or near capacity? A year or so ago Hermitage residents suggested buiding a new high school in Hermitage instead of their studetns going 10-15 mins down the road to McGavock in Donelson, which would be the 1st high school in that community since the closing of Dupont High School in 1986, probably around the same time Bellevue High School closed. But the system is not really looking at perfect convience, they are looking at numbers and keeping numbers in existing buildings, especially these large high schools, when that becomes a problem they either rezone, or if that still does not work they will build a new high school. Antioch High School was over crowded for decades, more portables than classes in the building, with only one portion of people living in Antioch actually zoned to Antioch High, those living on the Priest Lake side of Antioch all the way down to the Rutherford county line were zoned to McGavock from 1971 all the way to 1997 when a new Antioch High was build closer to the lake. But even tho it is a large building it still was over crowded, so people living in Antioch were still sent to McGavock, until finally in 2008 Cane Ridge High School was open literally 2 miles from Antioch High, on the same road, to eleviate overcrowding at Antioch High and to get all of Antioch with in 2 schools located in Antioch... So to get a new school it takes a lot more than just wanting a new school, it takes several years in some cases, and just a lot more stuff has to be considered 1st.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 AM

815 posts, read 2,019,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
I'm not confident the city of Nashville or most of the surrounding communities are going to do what they should, build world class high schools rivaling the best privates. There is no excuse in a city like Nashville for there to be such a bedraggled education system and run down schools. Something also needs to be done to preserve the variuos magnificant old stone School buildings around town that all need renovations. The education system in this country is a disgrace to the world. Always money for another music venue, park or ball-field. Millions to build out at Centennial park with a crumbling building next to it and luxury apts all around, it's insanity.
Couldn't the Bellevue Mall make a great location for a High School? Is it still empty and unused?
The school system has funds for rennovation, they do a few schools per year based on need. I know this year Antioch Middle and Joelton Middle are two that I know of that are getting major rennovations. Antioch Middle brought in multiple portibles for class to use during the process, while Joelton Middle is sharing a school with Haynes Middle as they finish their rennovation. Stratford High School was renovated a few years back, and Maplewood High had a big rennovation, including a new Gym and music suite about 5 years ago.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
I would rather see Metro create more magnet high schools. Hume Fogg and MLK are both great schools. Last I heard, Meigs was accepting one child for every 7 that qualified, but didn't get picked through the lottery. There is a clearly a desire for more spots and having more spots for high achieving students would keep more families in the city of Nashville.

One fourth of my daughter's 5th grade class were people who had moved from Davidson to Williamson County to avoid middle school in Davidson County. And that was just one class, in one school, in one neighboring county. Having more good options for middle and high schools would keep a lot more families in the Nashville public schools. Nashville already has quite a few good elementary schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville