Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 06:40 PM

813 posts, read 2,030,844 times

Advertisements

These are personal pictures I've taken around the core of Nashville throughout the course of the past week. There's so much happening on every corner that it's been hard to keep track. So, this week, I found a little bit of time to make my rounds around the city to capture the progress. I'll try to make my way to other neighborhoods soon.

Downtown Nashville from the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge.

Freshly completed Suntrust Plaza adding some nice infill.

First Avenue, Riverfront Park and the Davidson County Courthouse buildings.

A look down First Avenue to the new Courthouse.

A look down Second Avenue to the old Courthouse.

LP Field, home of the Tennessee Titans, and Ghost Ballet, Nashville's newest public art addition.

Nashville's new skyline emerging: Encore condos towering over SoBro while construction of ICON and Terrazzo condo towers rise over the Gulch in the background.

More Encore.

The Pinnacle construction site. This one will really make an impact in the skyline and be absolutely striking from the Shelby Street Bridge.

Batman looms over Broadway with its' new AT&T signs almost complete.

Peekaboo: Schermerhorn Symphony Center and Encore Condos.

Nashville's Union Station which is now a hotel.

The Gulch skyline developing: ICON rising to the left and the Terrazzo crane to the right.

West End Summit site in Midtown. These towers will be gorgeous and usher in a new era for Nashville’s Midtown.

Adelicia condos in Midtown topped off and preparing for move-in.

Clubs and bars along Church Street, Nashville's budding gay and lesbian district in Midtown.

Downtown from Church Street in Midtown.

Hillboro Village: one of Nashville's trendiest and most eclectic neighborhoods in Midtown.

Tons of North Capitol District infill. I believe this is going to be one of inner-city Nashville’s premier neigborhoods very soon.

Who says so-called “New South” cities don’t have history? Here’s historic Germantown showing its' excellent balance of old and new. This is one of my favorite Nashville neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 07:48 PM

290 posts, read 1,053,671 times
Default Great Pictures!

I have been living in Nashville since 1982 and did not know all this new construction was going on! I need to get out more often.

I don't go downtown much. I live in Donelson and work near the I-65/Briley Parkway, Dickerson Pike Interchange. That area is seeing a boom in building as well.

The Chamber of Commerce should display your pictures to encourage new businesses as they sure show what a progressive, growing city Nashville is.

I ought to dig out my old pictures I shot while living downtown in the late 80's. The skyline sure has changed. I was living across the river from the old Crawdaddy's Restaurant and had a front row seat to the fire that burnt the entire building down.

I was looking at some sunset footage recently I "time lapsed" when I was working for Channel 5 in the late 80's. The videographer shot the footage from the east side of Interstate 24 for about 30 minutes. I "time lapsed" the footage speeding it up from 30 minutes to 11 seconds with the sun setting over the Nashville Skyline. It was interesting seeing this old footage as there is no LP Field or Bat Building in the shot. Steam cam be seen rising from the old Thermal Plant.

My family used to visit my Grandparents in Hendersonville in the late 50's to mid 60's. Daddy was in The Air Force and we were stationed pretty much all over Texas and came to Nashville, then, to East Tennessee for our yearly vacations. Nashville had two prominent buildings in those days, The L&C Tower and The State Capital. Hendersonville and Nashville were two separate cities. There were no Interstates. I liked the Municipal Auditorium as I always thought it looked like a UFO that landed. I was only a kid at the time and you know how kid's imaginations are.

How times have changed!

Again thanks for posting the pictures! They are great!

Buzz

Old 12-01-2007, 10:53 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Really Nice Photo Tour. I ate downtown a few weeks ago, and walked by some of the new constuction.
The city has certainly changed from the first time I saw it in 1970.

Diane

Old 12-01-2007, 11:06 PM

51 posts, read 301,022 times
Fourth forum I have seen these on today and they get better every time. Great pics Ariesjow!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:32 AM

597 posts, read 2,107,957 times
Looks like joe and I are stalking the same forums. Once again, aj. Great shots.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:46 AM

112 posts, read 522,081 times
Awesome pics.

Weirdest thing, I didn't even notices that there was an AT and T sign going up on the Bell South Tower...and I work downtown!

Old 12-02-2007, 11:20 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Great pictures! You've shown very well why Nashville is the state's premier city and certainly one of the all-around nicest big cities in the country.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:13 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Nice photos. You seem to have made your way around most of the downtown area. You even got a photo of a bus that isn't blocking traffic . . . how in the heck did you manage that?! ;-)

And just a note . . . the "old courthouse" is still the current courthouse. The building behind it is the newer A. A. Birch building where some of the courtrooms have been moved to (and where the elevators don't work, or the soundproofing, or anything else). I once served on a jury where A. A. Birch was the judge.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM

317 posts, read 1,230,731 times
These are great! Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:12 PM

813 posts, read 2,030,844 times
Thanks to you all for the comments. I'll try to get around some time this week to take some more shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville