Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 04:40 AM

Location: The back alleys of Hong Kong and sometimes Brussels, Belgium
242 posts, read 268,716 times

Advertisements

Just like everyone else, I too have travelled to different places, and enjoyed the adventure/experience of being someplace else. I always enjoy the positives each place has to bring into my life. Everyplace has positives and negatives. I recently visited Nashville on a business vacation kind of trip. Nashville is definatly a place to experience just so you have the experience of knowing what it is. Nashville has it's good points and bad points just like any other city does, but for me the hype of Nashville was just that...HYPE. I never got the feeling of making Nashville a place where I would live the rest of my days, but maybe you have. Who's to say what you think of the city. My opinion is that I would rather find another place to be stranded in when it's cold and friends are hard to come by. I'm not asking a question here, so don't play this thread like that. I never read the city-data rules where it said that every thread must be a question. This thread is an opinion on my visit to the city of Nashville. You can agree or disagree with it, but never try to tell me I'm wrong, or change my opinion, and I will respect you the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
Thanks for the seemingly pointless post about evaluating a city based on a business trip stay.

What an eye-opener!

Old 03-10-2013, 09:09 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,092,819 times
I have done a lot of traveling as well. LOVED Hong Kong. Thought Belgium was boring. Vienna and I didn't click. Nor did me and Denver. Still miss Sydney and the Swiss Alps. Oddly enough, I liked Cleveland!

I don't mind that Nashville is not your cup of tea. Belgium isn't mine.

What is . . . annoying . . . about your post is that you seem to be saying that Nashville is the ONLY city on the planet that falls short of it's 'hype' and I don't believe that to be true.

Cities are like people - you love some, you tolerate some, some you find annoying . . . some grow on you after time. First impressions are important but not always accurate. I think I need to give Vienna another shot.

Whatever. What, really, is the purpose of your post?

(PS. Have a feeling you have itchy feet and no city will EVER be someplace you want to spend the rest of your days!)

Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,337,820 times
Hey, it's just an opinion. He's right, it clicks with some, it doesn't with others.

Just happy that he didn't move here based on "hype."

Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 AM

940 posts, read 1,903,012 times
And so space on this forum is better for a thread for this? Readers are supposed to ponder over some meaning here? Justin Beiber and The Backstreet Boys, seriously? (maybe not).

The OP mentioned no encounters with people, landmarks, culture, or business activity, did he actually visit?? But I'm on the verge of pondering so 'bye for now.

Last edited by groovamos; 03-10-2013 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 11:38 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
He's right. It ain't for err'body.

We are truly thankful for those who realize this ahead of time.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 9,643 times
Default Trolled

The op's post was what I refer to as an attempt to troll.
Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia at least that is my opinion solely based upon the fact that I do not know this person and would suspect they have done this on other forums as well.

The best way to deal, again my own opinion, is to not reply or acknowledge the post. (though i'm breaking that rule by replying myself) If I were a moderator, I would delete the post. It adds absolutely no value to anyone that is considering moving to the Nashville area. I would feel differently if there was at least some type of facts such as "traffic was horrible on such and such road at xxx time" or "the places that I visited, xxxx had a negative impact by xxxxx". This way it would have at least been informative or allow people to formulate their own opinion or share their own experiences.

then again, i could be wrong and someone now feels better by having to post something so that others could validate their feelings.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
He's really not trolling. He posts in other forums. I think he just had a bad night in the back alley.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:50 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,337,820 times
The OP is certainly entitled to his opinion. Do I agree with it? No. But again, it's an opinion. Do I think he truly explored all Nashville has to offer? Again, no...but the OP also did not elaborate on where he went. I do think that this probably isn't the greatest time of the year to visit (because of recent gloomy weather)...and that could certainly have an effect on perception.

But we should remember that Nashville isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. And I'm fine with that. He's certainly in the minority as far as travelers, as it would seem most enjoy their stays. My guess, though, is that his suggestion that we're over-hyped probably meant that he had expectations that weren't met (I'm not sure exactly what those would be -- but since we're not a huge bustling city like Hong Kong or a very old historic European city like Brussels, I can see how expectations might not be in line with reality).

I, for one, am not offended. I don't think the thread needs to be deleted. I can see why people are being defensive. But keep in mind that the OP did not provide any details about his visit. It's one thing if he had some bad misconceptions or provided outright false information...it's another if he just had a bad experience. I think CG2B's post is great, because it points out that sometimes we aren't enamored by cities that we might expect to like, but pleasantly surprised by others. This likely just falls into the category as Nashville was just not what the OP was looking for. And I'm fine with that.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:55 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
For the record, I wasn't feeling defensive. I just fail to see the point. Now, back outside to enjoy this GORGEOUS day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville