Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:27 PM

427 posts, read 431,551 times

Advertisements

Having lived in the LA area and Nashville area, I can tell you there will be a little of a culture shock. LOL. My recommendation, don't live in Nashville. Brentwood is a nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM

813 posts, read 2,032,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I'm actually not against it, just not exactly sure where the safe vs. not safe areas are once you past that Target. But I know you are much more familiar with that area. Is it safe all the way to the interstate and beyond?
Safety is totally subjective, but I don't feel even remotely unsafe in any part of the White Bridge area. I walk my dogs late too and see women walking by themselves even after 9pm. There are the occasional petty thefts or car break-ins that occur from time to time as they do in pretty much all the in-town neighborhoods including the trendy ones like Sylvan Park or 12South. But, overall, it's a really solid if unheralded area especially if you can find a cottage or duplex on the streets in the Brookside or Richland Meadows subdivisions.

Now, I have heard that the Richland Hills Apartment complex is probably best avoided and introduces a bit of a bad element into the area. But developers have put up $250k craftsman bungalows across the street from it, so it doesn't appear to be too much of a drain on the area.

The reason why I think the White Bridge area would be a great option for the OP is because it has multiple options for easy access to Green Hills without ever having to touch Hillsboro Pike. Plus, I think the OP is many times more likely to find a decent place in his price range there as opposed to Green Hills or 12South. Jimmy Hoffa may be easier to find than a decent 1br apt for $700 in one of those area at the moment. I absolutely agree with N.Cal that a roommate situation will be the most ideal way to find a really nice place in-town with those budget constraints. I know the new West Town Lofts in the Nations area are going for right at $1,400 for a 2br at the moment.

Last edited by ariesjow; 08-27-2013 at 07:35 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 07:29 PM

374 posts, read 693,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
My recommendation, don't live in Nashville. Brentwood is a nice area.
Brentwood is a 'nice area' if you think Orange County is preferable to LA County.

Next up, RJ will explain how the liberals are ruining it for everyone.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,906,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
I must say N Cal....your experience as a gay man has been totally different from my experience. I've lived here for 19 years...I've seen gay bars come and go...there are more than 2. The people who go to Tribe and Play are different from the people who go to the Stirrup are different than the people who go to Canvas...etc. I'm sorry that you and your friends dislike it here so much. I can't say that I know every gay person in Nashville. Most of my friends (who are gay) don't really go out anymore. Going to the "gay bar" is kind of passe' these days. People just go to bars. I know...I mostly frequent the bars around my house.

To the OP. I've never once....not once...in 19 years had anyone make any kind of remark or give me a strange look...so as far as that, I think you will be fine. $700 is kind of on the low end....mostly because Nashville has recently become a little more popular and we have a shortage of rentals. I doubt you could find anything in Green Hills....maybe an older smaller unit? I second Alleycat re: Bellevue. There are some apartments on Franklin Rd at Thompson Lane...I think Greenbriar? I've known a couple people that have lived there. But not sure of the price. I would start looking at older complexes in Green Hills and just work your way out from there. If you find something and you need an opinion....just ask.

Good Luck
you're gonna miss west hollywood...a lot!!!!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 PM

569 posts, read 1,425,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
you're gonna miss west hollywood...a lot!!!!
? I think you meant that message for the OP.....I'm not going to miss it, as I've never lived there

Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,339,591 times
Quote:
Having lived in the LA area and Nashville area, I can tell you there will be a little of a culture shock. LOL. My recommendation, don't live in Nashville. Brentwood is a nice area.
Yeah, because 1 BR apartments for ~$700 are oh so abundant in Brentwood.

I swear some people don't even read the threads before blurting out their advice.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 PM

620 posts, read 1,199,259 times
The self-focused Californian posts "LA" without taking the geographical situation into matter. LA can mean Louisiana.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:47 AM

914 posts, read 1,984,789 times
Quote:
This makes no sense. There are no apartments in Brentwood, so finding one there is going to be just shy of impossible. If you're trying to minimize culture shock common sense would say that living in Nashville would be less of a culture shock than living in Brentwood.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:03 AM

940 posts, read 1,903,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
onth.

Have you ever visited here? I ask because I have gay coworkers who moved here from SF and it's been a tremendous tremendous culture shock. Both of them and their partners would move back in a heartbeat. In fact one of the partners is moving back in two weeks.
Thank Goodness there are parts of the country (aka middle America) that would be shocking culturally compared to the street (festivals anyone?) in the beautiful shocking city by the bay. Shockingly beautiful that is to say.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:55 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
The self-focused Californian posts "LA" without taking the geographical situation into matter. LA can mean Louisiana.
True. But he works for Nordstrom's and they don't have any stores in Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville