Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am relatively new to Murfreesboro (as of May) and I am trying to find out more information on recycling. I know about Recycle Rutherford, but the info on their site is very vague and isn't updated as often. I know they have a list of recycling places, but I wanted to see if anyone else recycles and their experiences.

I know this may sound cheap, but I don't want to pay for it. I rent currently and where I've lived in the past, I've never even paid for trash pickup or water like I do now. Recycling at my last place was offered by the building (it was a 15 story apartment building).

I'm perfectly fine driving to the location, but I've never recycled outside of dropping it into the bins at my apartment, work, or out in public. Now I have a bunch of stuff piling up that I'd like to let go of.
Is it free to bring it somewhere? Is there a drop off fee? What's the most convenient place (regardless of distance)? What's the closest to west Murfreesboro(I live by 24 and Medical Center)?

Anyone not into recycling and has anything crappy to say about the topic can gtfo.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
gtfo?

Well bless your heart, aren't you an inspiring role model for recycling.

Your choices are to pay for recycling, take it to a free recycling drop-off center, or throw it away with your paid trash. The closest drop off may be the Murfreesboro Convenience Center (recycling is collocated with the dump drop off) and the most convenient may be the 24 hour MTSU Center.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
gtfo?

Well bless your heart, aren't you an inspiring role model for recycling.

From what I've read on these forums, people don't read OP questions and simply say stupid stuff that is beyond the point of the question, like which car should I get between A and B...oh I suggest C and D because A and B suck.

Yeah I have about a 50/50 trash and recycling mix right now. Like to get it up higher in the recycling, and eliminate having to use garbage bags too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Do those places require them to be sorted?

Last edited by NARFALICIOUS; 07-16-2013 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Good luck on recycling. It doesn't seem to have hit here. In my hood in Nashville they pick up recycling once a month!!!!!! And, they don't take glass!!! I moved where we had weekly garbage, recycling AND compost (3 separate bins) at everyone's home weekly and if you didn't recycle, your bill was MORE.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 AM

909 posts, read 1,062,496 times
Recycle Rutherford

Rutherford County, Tennessee - Government Agencies, Information and Services

You have about 15 locations to pick from ^ ^ ^

Old 07-16-2013, 02:48 PM

The convenience centers have dumpsters for each type of recycled product, so yes they need to be sorted, but you can do that onsite if you want.

I'm at about 45% garbage (burned at city waste-to-energy plant), 35% recycling (Allied Waste), 10% yard waste (city landfill), 10% compost (my garden).

I have family in Murfreesboro and visit often enough to drive to the recycling / dump centers, but I live in Huntsville AL. Huntsville made a deal with Allied Waste / BFI for free once a week curbside recycling (no sorting) in exchange for exclusive access to recycled materials (plastic, newspaper, cardboard, cans - no glass - Allied only picks up stuff that can make them money). The City must provide a minimum amount of recycled material or we are subject to a penalty.

The Solid Waste Disposal Authority Recycling Program

Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 AM

Yes! I finally did it. After moving here in May and keeping all my recycled stuff in my garage, car, and around the house, I finally got the nerve to get off my butt and find a recycling place. This is my first foray into this because my last apartment in Chicago had bins in the halls which were free.
So I went to the one on 1140 Haley Road in Murfreesboro. Industrial area.
Not what I expected, but very happy! Wasn't busy because I went Sunday evening around 7 . So I'm not sure how it will be on a weekday when all the factories nearby open. The whole street was pretty much empty until someone else pulled in to recycle as well
All the big recycling 'dumpsters' were separated. Plastic. Mixed paper. Cardboard. Glass. Aluminum.
They were all kinda full, and I had to stuff some inside to make it fit, but not too bad. There were some carboard and bottles on the ground that probably fell out of people's hands but the place overall was clean. No rodents, bugs, or smells. Convenient for being 24-7 and an open area to just come by and sort and recycle on your own leisure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
The convenience centers have dumpsters for each type of recycled product, so yes they need to be sorted, but you can do that onsite if you want.

I'm at about 45% garbage (burned at city waste-to-energy plant), 35% recycling (Allied Waste), 10% yard waste (city landfill), 10% compost (my garden).l]
Thanks for the help. And where do they burn at a plant? Or how would I know if my trash pickup is part of that?

Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 AM

NARF - woohoo!

Remember, I live in Huntsville AL. Not many areas have a waste-to-energy plant.

Waste-to-Energy Facility

Understand How Energy-from-Waste Works - Covanta Energy

They burn everything that goes into our trash cans (automated pickup cans just like Murfreesboro).

Old 07-29-2013, 07:38 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Murfreesboro does not burn trash. It all goes into the landfill, which is right next to a youth football field in a "park" that was donated by the garbage company.

Games there on windy days are an unpleasant experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville