Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 10,815 times

Advertisements

I'm coming to Nashville in mid November. I've been looking at houses online for a few days now. My company is at exit 78 and I want to stay on the south side of town. I've heard a lot of great things about Williamson County Schools. My kids are grown, so that's not a major issue for me. But I understand the schools has a tremendous impact on the property values.

From my own research, I think Brentwood is nice but a little more than I can afford, especially on the Williamson County side. I found a few listings in Brentwood but they are in Davidson County. These are considerably cheaper. Is it still a desirable area if it's sitting in Davidson County? How does the property taxes work in these two counties?

I was told that there is no state income tax in TN, is this true? Are the property taxes higher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinagirl View Post
I'm coming to Nashville in mid November. I've been looking at houses online for a few days now. My company is at exit 78 and I want to stay on the south side of town. I've heard a lot of great things about Williamson County Schools. My kids are grown, so that's not a major issue for me. But I understand the schools has a tremendous impact on the property values.

From my own research, I think Brentwood is nice but a little more than I can afford, especially on the Williamson County side. I found a few listings in Brentwood but they are in Davidson County. These are considerably cheaper. Is it still a desirable area if it's sitting in Davidson County? How does the property taxes work in these two counties?

I was told that there is no state income tax in TN, is this true? Are the property taxes higher?
Property taxes in Davidson County are actually higher than Williamson County. You can go to the website for the State Comptroller(access through the state of TN website) and get detailed property tax info by county. There is no state income tax, however the sales tax is about 9%. Not sure what you mean about "desirable". Does that refer to a "nice place to live" or in the resale sense? If it is a "nice place to live" that's pretty individual. One person might consider an area a "nice place to live" and another person wouldn't think about living there. How much are you looking to pay for a house/townhouse? What amenities are you looking for? There are many options in both Davidson County and Williamson County that IMO are nice areas to live. Davidson County homes are definitely less expensive than Williamson County homes(comparing apples to apples) and the school system has something to do with this. As an example, there is a builder who has built the same house in two different communities, one in Davidson County and one in Williamson County. The one in Davidson County sold for 336k and the one in Williamson County sold for 400k. The house had 4br/2.5ba/3200sf and many upgrades in both places.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:21 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:

Go to this link to find the property tax rates for every county and municipality in Tennessee:
TN Comptroller of the Treasury - Division of Property Assessments - 2007 Property Tax Rates (http://www.comptroller1.state.tn.us/PAnew/LR.asp?W=07 - broken link)

The rates are per $100 of the ASSESSED value of your home, and that is typically 25% of the ACTUAL value of your home. So if you buy a home in Davidson County for $300,000, you pay taxes on $75,000. The property rate for Davidson County is $4.04, meaning $4.04 x $750 ($75,000 / $100), or $3,030 per year. If you also live in the city of Nashville, you pay an additional $0.65 to the property tax rate, or another $487.50. I think I did the math correctly.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:38 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
If you're much north of Brentwood into Davidson County you're going to be either in Oak Hills or Forest Hills . . . which are certainly not undesirable areas. I prefer those areas over Brentwood, but that's just me.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:02 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
If you're much north of Brentwood into Davidson County you're going to be either in Oak Hills or Forest Hills . . . which are certainly not undesirable areas. I prefer those areas over Brentwood, but that's just me.
No kidding, me too! Forest Hills and Oak Hills are two beeeeautiful areas. I'd rather live there than in Brentwood, too.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,258 times
You won't find much under 500k in Forest Hills or Oak Hill unless it is in serious need of rehab or upgrade so that may be a problem for the poster.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:53 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
You won't find much under 500k in Forest Hills or Oak Hill unless it is in serious need of rehab or upgrade so that may be a problem for the poster.
The main point I was making was that being in Davidson County isn't necessarily a bad thing (especially if public schools aren't an issue). And if future resale value is a concern, I would be more concerned with a house in Brentwood than one in the nicer areas of Davidson County for a variety of reasons; not that I would worry about either too much unless I overpaid for the house to start with.

Last edited by alleycat; 10-30-2007 at 05:02 AM..

Old 10-30-2007, 01:39 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:

I live in Davidson County, in Nashville, right over the Brentwood Border. I have a Nashville Address but houses accross the road from me have a Brentwood Addrress. HS in the same for both, the lower schools are different, but the ones with the Nashville address were built in 2004, and I was told they were quite good. You should check my subdivision, as there are quite a few on Market, and you might good a good price. The houses here are all brick, if that is to your liking.
I'm not a realtor but if you want any further info, you can PM me.

Diane G
I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: