Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 AM

83 posts, read 142,321 times

Advertisements

I attend a megachurch in my current state and would like to find something similar when I move to Nashville. Can anyone recommend any good, Bible-based large or mega churches? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 07:09 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Any particular denomination?

Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 AM

Non-denominational Christian preferably. The church I currently attend is Evangelical in nature. When I visit Nashville, I go to Fellowship Bible Church in Brentwood, which is a FANTASTIC church...just a little smaller than I'm used to.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 AM

328 posts, read 568,623 times
I'm not in Nashville, but do tons of research. I have heard some good things about Crosspoint, and it is where I would like to check out..Pam

Cross Point Church

Last edited by livnluv; 03-29-2013 at 08:52 AM..

Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
Currently not a church goer, but interested in the appeal of a "mega church". I moved down from CT and we didn't have them up there. Truly interested in what the pros are of a mega church???

For me, it might be that with so many voices, one might not notice me being off key . . . .

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM

328 posts, read 568,623 times
This is all just completely my opinion..but here are my thoughts on the pros of a mega-church~

It seems to me, that often these churches have more resources for more programs, activities, classes, etc.
They also often have a great worship team, etc.
They are doing something right or there wouldn't be so many people there.
One thing I would recommend is to try to get a feel for the character and direction of the church leadership. See if its teaching is consistent with biblical principles, etc.
The key to feeling connected is to get involved. Volunteer, take classes, etc..Meet people and make some personal connections. Many people just go to services and go home, missing out on real fellowship and that feeling of real connection.

Hope some of this helps. Go and check somewhere out and see how you like it.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:21 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Not making a "recommendation," since I don't attend this church, but Christ Church is well-established and centrally located.

Home - Christ Church Nashville

I'm wary of large churches that meet in vacant theaters etc and whose growth stems from the popularity of one particularly charismatic leader. That reminds me more of a cult. Christ Church has been around a while.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:23 AM

Thanks, @wmsn4Life! I have driven by Christ Church several times and always wondered about it. I will plan a visit there soon.

@livnluv - I totally agree with you that being connected is key. That's one reason why I love the church I'm currently attending. They offer many opportunities to get "plugged in," so to speak. I've met a lot of people in my age and in my current life situation through the church, or through friends I've met through the church. I agree that megachurches certainly aren't for everyone, but I have had very positive experiences. And since I'm moving to a city in which I know very, very few people, I figured finding some new friends through church wouldn't be a bad idea.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:19 PM

99 posts, read 230,032 times
Long hollow is a great one. Crosspoint is as well.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:50 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
While Christ Church is technically non-denomintional, it has Pentecostal roots and that's pretty evident in their worship.

Cornerstone is Assembly of God, but has a non-denominational feel to it, at least the few times we've been. They do some spectacular special events.

We go to Brentwood Baptist, and it has about 8,000 members. If you are looking for a contemporary service, they have one at 8:00 and 11:11. And Kairos on Tues nights is a contemporary service that seems popular with people in their 20s. From my experience, a lot of the people involved in Kairos also go to the 11:11 service.

One other church to consider is Belmont Church. Not sure of the exact size, but we've heard the pastor speak before and he is amazing. It has Church of Christ roots, but it hasn't been Church of Christ in a very long time.

Countrygirl2be- We have gone to churches with 300 members and churches with more than 20,000, and there are advantages to both. The small church really felt like a family. It seemed like everyone there of all ages really knew and loved us and our children. But typically the music is not as good and any church disruptions (new pastor, etc.) have a big impact on the church. Losing 5 families could be half of your missions class. Big churches typically have good music and dynamic pastors (thousands of people aren't showing up for a boring service, right?). And they typically have lots of programs for all ages. But it can be harder to get to know people and easy to get lost in the shuffle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: