Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 AM

86 posts, read 210,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
So the Megachurches are like the Bridgestone and the little churches are like the Bluebird?????
I guess you could think of it that way. Talented people can pop up anywhere, that's for sure. We all use whatever's available, and sometimes bring in our own gear or donate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 02:06 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,639,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springisnew13 View Post
Can anyone recommend any good, Bible-based
That always gets me-"Bible-based". As opposed to......?

Old 04-01-2013, 02:12 PM

83 posts, read 142,503 times
@akm4 - Some churches are not Bible-based, as in the pastor/minister does more "personal philosophy" teaching versus teaching straight from the Bible. At least that's how I've always understood it. I don't have in firsthand experience with churches like these, but they're definitely out there.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springisnew13 View Post
@akm4 - Some churches are not Bible-based, as in the pastor/minister does more "personal philosophy" teaching versus teaching straight from the Bible. At least that's how I've always understood it. I don't have in firsthand experience with churches like these, but they're definitely out there.
They are definitely several out there just in Williamson County, and that is part of what I was referring to when I mentioned personality-based churches that border on cultish.

If the minister preaches for 2 hours, and he/she throws in a few references to Scripture or Jesus but mostly it is a "feel-good" self-help message, then it is not Bible-based. Lots of people just want to go to church, hear an inspiring "message" and leave feeling "refreshed and ready for the week." They may not know about the hard work and conviction required to be a true Christian.

Of course, if my minister's hairdo cost more than mine, I'm outta there.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:05 PM

Your definitions make sense, but that's not how I've heard it applied. The (granted, few) times someone has used the term around me it was to the exclusion of most established denominations. For example, one was, "Oh, you're Methodist? My church is Bible-based".

As if, what, we make it up as we go along? Maybe I just ran across a few fringe folks, but I found it amusing/perplexing. I wonder if the hungry noodle-wielders consider themselves to be "Bible-based"?

Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,735,744 times
If your church is more concerned about weight loss than scripture, it's not a Bible based church.

akm- That's strange. Methodist is a huge denomination. In a lot of the small towns in NW TN, the Methodist church is the "cool" church. And to some extent I feel like that's true in Brentwood too. That Brentwood Methodist is a higher "status" church in Brentwood. Not trying to imply that the church is doing something wrong, we really liked it and thought it was very sincere. My husband and I would have probably gone there, but my children really wanted to go to Brentwood Baptist.

It would be nice to think that religious people wouldn't judge each other, but unfortunately religions are made up of imperfect people. Whether you are discussing religion, parenting, fitness, etc., some people are always going to believe that their way is the only "right" way.

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 04-01-2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old 04-01-2013, 03:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
"Oh, you're Methodist? My church is Bible-based".
Yeah, that's just ignorant.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:47 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,346,596 times
I get what the intention of the word is, but the way it's used (er, abused) tends to come from people that don't actually have any experience with the churches they call "not Bible-based." i.e. fundamentalists referring to mainline Protestant churches as "not Bible-based" because they have all that traditional mumbo jumbo.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I get what the intention of the word is, but the way it's used (er, abused) tends to come from people that don't actually have any experience with the churches they call "not Bible-based." i.e. fundamentalists referring to mainline Protestant churches as "not Bible-based" because they have all that traditional mumbo jumbo.
Bingo!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:18 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,551,871 times
I always thought bible based was a dig at mainline churches like the catholics and the episcopalians which are more "liturgical" than memorizing the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: