Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 02:03 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,617 times

Advertisements

Please, if you are local or can offer us guidance... We will be coming east on Interstate 40 (from TX) in a few weeks.

We have driven this trip once before, going straight through Nashville the way over to Lebanon, TN and trying a little bybass around Nashville (South of the city) on the way back to TX.

My question is, Is there a less busy way???... We don't mind going out of our way to avoid driving through Nashville... If I sound like a chicken, it's because I am.

We wondered what the roads are like north of Nashville. On the map, it looks like a big loop north of the city? Is that an easier drive?

Please tell me if there are steep areas or tunnels or bridges... or most important to me... huge overpasses like around Dallas... ugh.

Thank you to any kind person who can help alleviate my fears and/or make our trip easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 03:16 PM

34 posts, read 49,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer8 View Post
Please, if you are local or can offer us guidance... We will be coming east on Interstate 40 (from TX) in a few weeks.

We have driven this trip once before, going straight through Nashville the way over to Lebanon, TN and trying a little bybass around Nashville (South of the city) on the way back to TX.

My question is, Is there a less busy way???... We don't mind going out of our way to avoid driving through Nashville... If I sound like a chicken, it's because I am.

We wondered what the roads are like north of Nashville. On the map, it looks like a big loop north of the city? Is that an easier drive?

Please tell me if there are steep areas or tunnels or bridges... or most important to me... huge overpasses like around Dallas... ugh.

Thank you to any kind person who can help alleviate my fears and/or make our trip easier.
Just time your drive to where you don't hit Nashville at rush hour (or any time between 3-7pm) and take 440 East to avoid downtown. If you do this you should have no traffic concerns, plus they've pretty much finished the construction on I-40 around the airport area.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:46 PM

Thanks... Anyone else with other ideas? Not that that one isn't good, just seein' if there's more than one way. Thanks again for responding.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:58 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,582 times
If the loop you see to the north of the city is Briley, I'd try to avoid it.

I'd try 840. Maybe someone else can chime in or you can find out about it. I think they opened a new section up that you can could get to. But I know you can come in to Nashville on the west on I-40. Take 440 to I-65 South. Just past Franklin you will get on 840 East. It takes you to Lebanon. As long as you aren't coming in at rush hour, it won't be bad getting to 840. I've never really seen much traffic on 840. It's a state route that looks like an interstate (but at this point actually isn't considered one).

Old 10-05-2006, 10:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Default Try this...

Go to tripadvisor.com. Go to the Nashville forum. Ask your question. They will help you.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:58 AM

Thanks to everyone.
You all have made this so much easier!

Old 10-06-2006, 10:05 AM

5 posts, read 33,965 times
840 would be nice if it were completed on the west side of Nashville. Untile 840 is completed you might just want to try and time your drive. If you come in about mid day 11 or 12 you don't have to worry about that much traffic.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:12 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,290 times
Hey pioneer8,

I'm glad to hear there is someone else scared to drive through certain areas. My children think I'm the only one. The overpasses in Dallas scare me to death but I WON'T drive in Dallas anyway. I close my eyes when I'm the passenger in such a situation.

I don't know anything about Nashville, but I can surely relate to where you're coming from. Ugh!!

Old 10-07-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjb View Post
Hey pioneer8,

I'm glad to hear there is someone else scared to drive through certain areas. My children think I'm the only one. The overpasses in Dallas scare me to death but I WON'T drive in Dallas anyway. I close my eyes when I'm the passenger in such a situation.

I don't know anything about Nashville, but I can surely relate to where you're coming from. Ugh!!

Tell your children that you are braver than some... I do not and have never driven the interstate... My husband does all the driving and is kind enough to spare me the agony (in the passenger seat) by going clear out of the way! (The things we do for love... ) Although, sometimes he gently requests that I read a book or something.(smile) There are things I do do that people are in awe about and they say, "You are so brave!" This usually has to do with my character/personality... (Which doesn't make a lot of sense because one is only brave if they try something they are afraid to do in the first place.) No, I don't like to drive on busy roads. I have a love/hate relationship with the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway... I hate to ride escalators and heights weaken my knees. Go ahead, laugh. Hey. There's room for all kinds, right?

Old 10-07-2006, 03:57 PM

63 posts, read 302,602 times
WOW! I live in Miami and was in Nashville during morning rush afew weeks ago. I thought it was great! I can relate though, I have a problem with heights. have a safe trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville