Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:44 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Hey pioneer8,

I'm glad to hear there is someone else scared to drive through certain areas. My children think I'm the only one. The overpasses in Dallas scare me to death but I WON'T drive in Dallas anyway. I close my eyes when I'm the passenger in such a situation.

I don't know anything about Nashville, but I can surely relate to where you're coming from. Ugh!!
There are no really scary overpasses in Nashville. Its pretty easy driving here. The constuction is finished on Brilly. Try driving in NYC , or even Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 AM

950 posts, read 3,191,239 times
I have driven in Nashville-Davidson plenty of times. The interstate system there is weird, but it is easy to get around. I doubt it is going to be anywhere as bad as it is in much bigger cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles and Chicago.

I am more afraid of driving in Atlanta. I live just outside of Atlanta, I will not drive on the freeways here. I use back roads or hop on the bus/subway to the city. Must be a Native Tennessean thing.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:19 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I have driven in Nashville-Davidson plenty of times. The interstate system there is weird, but it is easy to get around. I doubt it is going to be anywhere as bad as it is in much bigger cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles and Chicago.

I am more afraid of driving in Atlanta. I live just outside of Atlanta, I will not drive on the freeways here. I use back roads or hop on the bus/subway to the city. Must be a Native Tennessean thing.
I like the back roads also. I'm excited because I just found a back way to Providence in Mt Juliet, its faster, scenic and reguires on Burket Road that changes names from Nolensville road in the Brentwood Area.
To get to Green hills, I take Old Hickory Blvd into Hillsboro Road, again no interstates. There is also minimal traffic that way.
Not a native Tennessean, but I'm working on it.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,884 times
Nashville is flooded with tailgating, speeding, lane swapping drivers. I grew up in a city with 4 times the population of Nashville, driven on Europe's Autobahn, which has no speed limit in some stretches and never experienced worse drivers !! Let it rain, snow or ice over and they really go crazy !! Nashvillians are very friendly until they get into their cars. Something happens when they get behind the wheel. Common sense and courtesy are gone !!

Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 PM

147 posts, read 334,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith51 View Post
Nashville is flooded with tailgating, speeding, lane swapping drivers. I grew up in a city with 4 times the population of Nashville, driven on Europe's Autobahn, which has no speed limit in some stretches and never experienced worse drivers !! Let it rain, snow or ice over and they really go crazy !! Nashvillians are very friendly until they get into their cars. Something happens when they get behind the wheel. Common sense and courtesy are gone !!
Yep, Nashville is the only place in America with bad drivers. Please, everywhere has bad drivers. They obviously stand out more than the good ones. I don't think I've ever visited an area and said "man, they really had some great drivers in that city! Furthermore, I'm going to base my whole opinion on a city on how well their citizens and people passing through drive!"

Anyway, Europe probably does have better drivers than anywhere in America. This is because they have stricter driving laws and the tests you have to take to get your license are more rigorous and expensive so people see driving as more of a privilege than a right, not to mention the penalties for breaking driving laws are much more severe.

But hey, you came and revived a 5 month old thread solely for the purpose of making a stupid point. Well done

Old 09-28-2010, 07:47 AM

75 posts, read 198,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane40 View Post
If you are visiting Nashville for the first time ever, BE WARNED over Nashville Drivers. For whatever reason, Nashvillians go SOOO Slow in the fast lanes on the freeways. Then when you pass them they want to ride your tail. If you do the Speed Limit or a little over, that isn't good enough for some drivers out here. They will get on your bumper, and then pull in front of you and SLOW down. Stupid idiots. They don't use their turning signals. They run red lights, they pull out in front of you and you have to slam your brakes on to keep from hitting them. They also don't know what the word MERGE means, but if anything. for whatever reason, they drive so damn slow like they have all the time in the world on their hands. Nashville was ranked as some of the friendliest cities in America. BS. Put them behind the wheel and you will see the devil.
I guess you haven't visited PA? You described the way the people drive out here to a T! LOL I can't tell you how many times I've been in the same situation(s) that you described above! You get use to it after a while, it becomes a part of life, just another day!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 AM

75 posts, read 198,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YallWantHam View Post
Yep, Nashville is the only place in America with bad drivers. Please, everywhere has bad drivers. They obviously stand out more than the good ones. I don't think I've ever visited an area and said "man, they really had some great drivers in that city! Furthermore, I'm going to base my whole opinion on a city on how well their citizens and people passing through drive!"

Anyway, Europe probably does have better drivers than anywhere in America. This is because they have stricter driving laws and the tests you have to take to get your license are more rigorous and expensive so people see driving as more of a privilege than a right, not to mention the penalties for breaking driving laws are much more severe.

But hey, you came and revived a 5 month old thread solely for the purpose of making a stupid point. Well done
You're 100% correct! Some people act like Nashville's the only place that has bad drivers. I hate to clue you, they're all over the place! I too haven't visited an area and thought the drivers were fantastic.

It's only going to get worse as more and more people move to different states and bring their bad habits with them, so prepare yourself!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 PM

3,043 posts, read 3,311,876 times
From the West I-40 is not so bad so just stick with it. 840 has not been completed yet. In the morning I-440 can be an alternative to the downtown loop. After 3pm you are better off stopping at a Cracker Barrel for dinner.

The brand new flyover ramp from I-40 to north Briley Parkway is worth trying but be careful when you return to I-40 in the Opryland area. It may be easy to get lost & go back west. Remember to head toward Knoxville.

A local alternative to I-40 would be US70S from Bellevue to I-440 & West End ave. Depends if you need a stop for some service or if an accident on I-40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville