Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 PM

20 posts, read 71,616 times

Advertisements

Come on out for your vacation. Check out Franklin and maybe Hendersonville in Sumner County and Murfreesboro in Rutherford County. You can check out the schools at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community. These communities are of some size and offer job options, family activities and shopping. Nashville is more urban, and has many city options. Housing is usually older in Davidson County. You can get newer housing in some of the out lying regions - depending on what you like. Most of the newer housing has small yards, but they may still be larger than the CA yards. We have lots of folks who move here from California. Have a great visit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 10:54 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brc8238 View Post
in what area around nashville does it get the coldest in the winter
I am late on this, but as far as coldest it is all about the same in the mid-state area, as far as snow, as mentioned earlier, in general the Cumberland Plateau region may tend to get more snow occurances, or a little earlier than the other areas due to the higher elevation allowing more moisture to be sucked out, called the up draft, but as far as who gets the most its all in the timing and track of the snow storm. Some say the Northern area near the Ky boarder, but that is not exactally true because when we get our "Real" snows, or what may be described as the "classic set up" by medorologist, the moisture comes from the south, Gulf of Mexico, and the storm is developed in the Texas, Lousiana area. Now depending on the path of the storm, if it sets up further east of Texas, and if the cold air is already in place here in TN, it will usually follow a path right along Nashville or slightly to the south or south east and then continue on north to the east coast and go up the north eastern corridor. Now I am talkin about real snows that are 3-4 inches or more, that are generally wetter and heavier, and with that being the case, areas in Nashville, south and east get more snow than areas north and west of Nashville. Now if we get the left over snow from a northern snow, or what is called wrap around snow areas of Nashville and north and west may not neccisarly get more snow, but may get it first, and the snow systems that come in from the north are usually the drier type of snows that don't accumalate as fast, and just tend to blow around. But timing has to do a lot with it because just like this past weekend, the little dusting of snow we got, areas south and east of Nashville had more slick spots than the north and west because by the time the snows reached thoses areas the sun had gone down and the temp had fallen to below freezing, where as when it started in the north west temps had not quite fallen below freezing yet before the snow ended. Its all about timing and storm tracts in this area, not the old saying of the north being colder than the south as many people tend to think.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 526 times
So did you and your family move to Nashville, or decided not to? We're also thinking of moving to Nashville, but being that we're in the same situation you were in 5 years ago, I'd like info on how it is moving there from living our whole lives in California. If you see this, can you please help me out with deciding, yay or nay? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 01-11-2017, 04:30 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debraray View Post
So did you and your family move to Nashville, or decided not to? We're also thinking of moving to Nashville, but being that we're in the same situation you were in 5 years ago, I'd like info on how it is moving there from living our whole lives in California. If you see this, can you please help me out with deciding, yay or nay? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Job?
Housing budget? Rent or buy?
What other issues are important to you?
Have you ever been here?

I moved from SF about 4.5 years ago. I'm financially better off (kept my Bay Area salary-most salaries are lower here; able to buy a house) but physically and health-wise worse (low level sick due to allergies and asthma ever since I've been here and nothing really helps that much.

You really need to answer the questions above to get a response that applies to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville