Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2006, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,370 times

Advertisements

I discovered this site, and I am considering a move to Williamson County and would like to get as much info as I can on it. I know it's outside of Nashville, but exactly how long does it take to get there? While researching the area, I found that the towns in Williamson Co. include Brentwood, Franklin, Nolensville, Fairview, Spring Hill, Cool Springs, and Thompson's Station. What can you personally tell me about those areas? So far, I hear it has great schools, and homes can be expensive as it also a wealthy county - while trying to find info I saw it was wealthiest county in TN and 11th in the country (found that today on the Tennesseean newspaper's website). Is living in Williamson County worth paying more for a house? Also, I have some general questions. Are the people friendly here? What outdoor activities are there to enjoy (parks, lakes, etc.)? Is there much crime? I'll add more if I can think of anything! Thanks for all of your help!

Also, if you like, you can tell me about any other good counties around Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 08:01 PM

225 posts, read 1,145,205 times
Williamson County covers a large area so it is hard to say how long it takes to get to Nashville from there. If you are coming from Brentwood, the drive would be a short 20 minute commute if traffic is not bad. If you were coming from parts of Spring Hill, Leipers Fork, Fairview, it could easily be a 45 minute drive, or longer depending on the location.

I like people to look at individual schools instead of saying "Williamson County" schools are great. There is a big difference between how Brentwood Schools (say Ravenwood or Brentwood High) are going to test compared to Middle College High (currently on the target list for schools) or even Fairview High. Everyone talks about Williamson County Schools, but don't assume ALL Williamson County Schools are "great."

The county is beautiful. You will see stunning views with rolling hills and extremely nice homes. Brentwood is definitely the high-rent district with Spring Hill and Fairview the more affordable portion of the county. There are lots of parks and entertainment outlets...especially shopping, found in Williamson County. I think most people in Middle Tennessee are all nice. Williamson County, especially Brentwood and Franklin, is a white collar transitional area. Lots of executives relocated to Nashville choose to live in Brentwood or Franklin so there is a large amount of turnover in the area. It's not that people aren't nice, but sometimes it feels like everyone is the new kid in town. When we lived there I rarely met anyone who was from there ~ almost everyone is a transplant. There are no lakes in this area. Is it worth the price of housing to live there? Well, it depends on who you ask. If you buy in the great school zones most will tell you they are just as good as private schools. It is this easiest commute into Nashville and, most of the county will be convenient to basically anything that you need. However, you will pay more, in fact a lot more, for a home in Williamson County compared to surrounding areas.

Wilson, Rutherford, and Sumner Counties also surround Nashville and offer good schools as well. Again, look at the individual schools and not the systems as a whole. They each will have schools that will test as well as, if not better than, some Williamson County Schools. If you like the water, look at homes in Hendersonville, Gallatin, or Mount Juliet. Murfreesboro in Rutherford County does not have a lake, but offers affordable housing and an abundance of entertainment outlets. Outdoor activities like biking, running, parks and hiking are all found here. There is a nice greenway system that runs through the city. Murfreesboro is also a college town with MTSU being located here. There are lots of perks that come with being a college town and a lot of entertainment options that stem from the college (i.e., horse shows at the arena, plays at Tucker Theatre, festivals throughout the year, Symphony at the School of Music, etc.) Rutherford County is one of the fastest growing counties in the nation, and the fastest in the state. There are many lifetime residents in Murfreesboro because people seem to really enjoy living here. However, there is a huge number of people who are relocating to the area because it is a very welcoming community. More of a "down home" feeling than Brentwood.

Mount Juliet and Hendersonville will offer quick access to the lake and the expected water sports. Lots of shopping, dining, movies, and the typical suburbia life. They both offer a wide range of homes, and both are experiencing a nice growth rate and are building some beautiful new developments. The commute for either of these into Nashville will be more difficult than Williamson County. However, Hendersonville is finally relieving some of their traffic with improved roads and easier access to the interstates so the commute isn't quite as bad as it used to be. Lot size on most of the new developments will range between .25 and .35 acres. Occasionally you will find larger lots, but the developers are making the lots smaller and smaller.

I hope this helps a little! If you need specific information, please feel free to email me or send me a private message. I think you would love living here. It is a beautiful area regardless of which county you live in!

Old 10-01-2006, 08:04 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,842,824 times
Bring your checkbook and be prepared to get treated like you just got off a space ship from the planet Zargon, and have three eyes!
Yes I do live there east of nashville.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,185 times
I have heard that Williamson County is the best school district for special needs. Is this true? One of our 4 has Down Syndrome and we heard their inclusion is the best.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 15,970 times
Williamson County does have great things and is very good about tooting its own horn about being the "best" in everything. However, I would go with a community close to where you will work. If you are working in Williamson County I would live there but if you are working in Nashville I would check out Mount Juliet in Wilson County. We live in Willoughby Station and love it and the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville