Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:07 AM

76 posts, read 228,041 times

Advertisements

Trying to see which county would be better overall to target for our ultimate move from SoCal to Tn. This would be our "retirement" chapter of our lives, after having lived in busy Southern California for the majority of our lives. Any suggestions, experiences, recommendations would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 10:14 AM

13,361 posts, read 40,032,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeardslady View Post
Trying to see which county would be better overall to target for our ultimate move from SoCal to Tn. This would be our "retirement" chapter of our lives, after having lived in busy Southern California for the majority of our lives. Any suggestions, experiences, recommendations would be helpful.
Welcome to Tennessee!

It would be helpful, however, if you included what it is you're looking for in a retirement area.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Welcome to Tennessee!

It would be helpful, however, if you included what it is you're looking for in a retirement area.
My wish list: 1990 or newer home 2000 sq ft or more on a 1/2 acre (preferably single story w/porch) located in a well maintained area. Shopping and medical w/in 15 miles, some nightlife/entertainment, parks or lakes, and access to a freeway w/in 3-5 miles. School proximity is not an issue for us, but definitely like some culture or artistic influence. Don't need to get my nails done weekly, but hubby does like to hunt a bit.. Currently live on a cul-de-sac where neighbors wave when they drive into their garages, and thats all you see of them until the next drive by, so would like a more neighborly feel to my surroundings.. don't want to wind up in the middle of no-where, but don't want to look into my neighbors windows either.. Most importantly though, within a 10-15 mile radius to a good Bible teaching non-denominational church (currently attending Calvary Chapel locally and watching Grace Chapel in Leipers Fork/Franklin via the internet). Thanks!!

Old 07-10-2010, 11:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,739,879 times
How much do you want to spend?

Old 07-10-2010, 12:39 PM

Probably no more than 350K... Just wanted to check on if there were major considerations between the two counties to keep in mind...

Old 07-10-2010, 01:07 PM

160 posts, read 503,541 times
Williamson = one of the most politically conservative counties in the country
Nashville (Davidson Co)= one of the most progressive cities in the south

I think you can find everything you want in either county, its just do you want a more conservative suburban feel in Williamson or a more urban (not "big city" just more stuff happening and a higher density of shops/houses/ect) progressive environment in Davidson.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
I believe the property tax rate in Davidson is higher than Williamson. But housing is more expensive in Williamson.

Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury - Division of Property Assessments - County Assessment Summary (http://www.comptroller1.state.tn.us/PAnew/CountyAssessmentSummary.asp?c=94 - broken link)

Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury - Division of Property Assessments - County Assessment Summary (http://www.comptroller1.state.tn.us/PAnew/CountyAssessmentSummary.asp?c=19 - broken link)

Old 07-10-2010, 02:18 PM

Thanks TBBVA, that helps..

Old 07-10-2010, 02:20 PM

Yes, I noticed the homes in Davidson seem a little less expensive for what you can get and availability..

Old 07-10-2010, 02:36 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
You might enjoy the Brenthaven neighborhood in Brentwood. It is close to lots of amenities like parks, library, interstate and shopping. The yards are big (1 acre+) and the neighbors are friendly. Brenthaven is a mix of young families, empty-nesters and elderly original homeowners.
The biggest problem is that the homes are older - 1970s ranch style. But it is a very desirable area.
I have included one example of a home there that fits your criteria, though I think it has a weird layout. Also may need some updating. You also couldn't possibly fit more hanging plants in that house!

RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Listing Details

Another option might be McKays Mill in Franklin, which is very convenient to Cool Springs. The yards aren't a half-acre, but they play up the front porch aspect of the neighborhood. Here's a sample.

You might check out Williow Springs in Franklin. It's a bit farther from the interstate and I can't vouch for the neighborhood, but the houses look they fit your priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville