Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM

50 posts, read 108,476 times

Advertisements

Hi there! It looks like there is a very good chance we will be relocating in the next few months from Charlotte due to DH's job. We are a youngish family with 2 kids (7, and 3.5) and 2 dogs. I've done a lot of research and it looks like Franklin or Green Hills are both good options for us. DH would be working in Cool Springs.

My 1st biggest concerns are schools and I know that Williamson county is top rated, but are there any particular elementary schools in either Frankilin or Green Hills (Davidson Co. I know) that you would recommend we concentrate on? We will probably be looking to rent for a year so that we can get to know Nashville better, and would not really want to change schools if at all possible.

Secondly, I know that Franklin is closer to Cool Springs. What would the commute be like if we were to live in Green Hills?

I'm guessing that it might be easier to meet new families and friends in Frankin. Is this a misconception?
I will be a SAHM for a while so it would be great to meet other moms with kids the same age as mine!

Thanks!! I will probably be back with more questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 AM

372 posts, read 593,014 times
I think your perceptions are generally right on.

in Green Hills, Julia Green Elementary is top notch. From what I've heard, folks go the private route after elementary, so the public middle and high schools have their challenges.

Franklin, I have no idea about the schools other than I think Williamson County School system is overrated.

What are your political/religious leanings? You are from the south, so it may not matter, but I find Green Hills to be more diverse religiously and politically...or at least, closer to the more diverse areas.

Franklin seems more family friendly for sure and depending on where you land, easier to get to Cool Springs so you don't have to deal with Hillsboro Rd coming from Green Hills.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama View Post

What are your political/religious leanings? You are from the south, so it may not matter, but I find Green Hills to be more diverse religiously and politically...or at least, closer to the more diverse areas.
We are Jewish and we lean to the left on politics. DH and I also grew up in NY, so we still consider ourselves northerners even though we have been in CLT for 8 years
Having said that, we are used to living in the south and being around all types and are fine with that as long as we are not completely alone in our ways

I am not so sure I would want to be forced into the private school route after elementary so that kinda puts a damper on the Green Hills idea. Thanks for letting me know that!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
I think the draw back with Green Hills is the whole school issue once you get to middle school.

Franklin is a great town and if you are working in Cool Springs I'd probably want to live there too. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the public elementary schools in Franklin or Brentwood city limits.

One upside to Green Hills is there is a fairly significant Jewish community on West Nashville (Green Hills, West Meade).

What is your price range?

Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama View Post
I think Williamson County School system is overrated.
LOL ^^^

OP, your budget is an important factor.

This thread also recently dealt with this topic:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...een-hills.html

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 11-09-2012 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: fix link

Old 11-09-2012, 12:56 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
If you're Reform, you should look into Congregation Micah which is located in Brentwood. Very convenient to either Green Hills or Franklin. Not too far from Green Hills is West End Synagogue which is Conservative from what I gather.

As far as which to choose...I'd lean towards Williamson County for the school system. While Green Hills tends to be more politically diverse, Williamson County seems like the better fit for your educational needs and commute time.

That is not to somehow cast Williamson County as some far right wing hinterland...it's not. Certainly it does vote heavily Republican, but I think you'll find people there to be quite open minded and personable. The area has had a huge influx of people from different parts of the country over the past 2 decades (and certainly over the past 5-6 years with Nissan and other corporations moving HQ to the area). So you certainly won't be alone as there are thousands of transplants in the area.

Certainly visit both areas when you do come down to see which you prefer...you might also price some local private schools in the Green Hills vicinity prior to coming just to consider if you do fall in love with Green Hills...but my guess is that Williamson will be a better fit.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 PM

813 posts, read 2,030,986 times
FWIW, Green Hills will be very similar to SouthPark in Charlotte.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:19 PM

We will be renting probably for the first year. I would if we were to buy now, we'd be looking in the 350k range. Who knows where we'll be a year from now.
I have gotten used to living amongst many repubs and honestly, it's not an issue. It's not something that often comes up in our conversations. Besides, anyone who I'd end up befriending would be the type who could have a lighthearted debate regardless knowing that it's all coming from a good place

I don't know how do do seperate quotes here yet, but ariesjow, I figured either SouthPark or Dillworth/freedom park area of Meyers park

As far as the West Meade area goes, I'm assuming I'd run into the same issues with having to turn to private school, correct?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 PM

372 posts, read 593,014 times
Correct!

Davidson County is private school mecca post 8th grade. Hume Fogg, a public school, you have to test into and get chosen in their lottery.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the info! I think at this point the decision is to look at Frankiln. Looks like the best fit for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: