Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,714 times

Advertisements

I am planning a relo after the 1st of the year. What areas of the metro area would be a good place for a single woman to put down roots?.. I will probably be working at Vandy but don't know if I want to live around there unless there is a mix of ages. Am used to a cafe society and being able to walk to grocery stores and other shopping, proximity to a yoga studio is also key. Any social/business clubs that are geared towards the professional? Am planning on renting first to get a feel for areas then will plan on buying within a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 07:44 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Sounds like you'd be happy in the Midtown/21st Avenue;/Hillsboro Village area. Shopping is somewhat limited in the area, but it's a short drive to most anything you'd want. While there's a lot of students in the area, there's a mixture of people; artsy types, musicians, retired folks, yuppies, and whatever.

And, if you think you'd like a short-term rental when you first move, let me know. I have a female friend (33) who owns a house in the Sylvan Park neighborhood and rents out a room occasionally (with full priviledges for the rest of the house). She doesn't have anyone living with her at the moment.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:17 PM

16 posts, read 99,101 times
I moved to Nashville from So Cal 3 yrs ago. I highly recommend you rent before you buy. I bought right away. Big mistake. Get around and see what areas you like best before you buy. Only you know what is best for you. Hope you like it. I can't wait to go back home. I don't care for southern culture.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:35 AM

9 posts, read 36,972 times
I'm from FL but buy homes in Nashv. I love Vandy. I there once a month. Stay close to that side of town (Greenhills). Close to work. Nice little area. Affordable. Lots of neat stuff in and around Vandy. Try Centenial Park. Go watch the girls BB at Belmont. Exciting. See you at the games.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,714 times
Hey Alleycat,
can you give me the contact info of your friend who rents out the room for short term stays. I'll be starting my job in in Nashville around the 24th of March but won't be able to get there until around March 20. I don't want to rush into a rental so a short-term place would give me the breathing room I need to really find a place I like.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 10,278 times
I'm another 40-something with 2 kids, with a possible relo coming up, so I have to think about schools. But I hate living in PUD communities/subdivisions/deed-restricted communities-- its too cookie-cutter, there's no privacy and people get crazy about things like how you keep your lawn. I did that for awhile in another state and felt like a Stepford wife. It seems though (from what I can gather on the internet), that if you are staying at or below the 400K range, you are not going to find a place with a lot big enough to afford privacy in one of the desirable school districts and within under 30 minutes of driving distance from downtown Nashville. Am I correct in my assumption?

Old 03-18-2012, 03:21 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
You're probably right about Franklin/Brentwood. Not sure about Spring Hill?????? Lots of new houses. Probably HOAS there but maybe there's some older houses there, too??? A friend bought in the Farmington area (end of N. Berry's Chapel. Nice sized lot but yes, over $400,000.

Yes, here's a house in that area. I think the HOA is pretty lax there . . .

http://www.realtracs.com/SearchResul...vFp59J8ulZVo2g

Old 03-18-2012, 03:44 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees91 View Post
I'm another 40-something with 2 kids, with a possible relo coming up, so I have to think about schools. But I hate living in PUD communities/subdivisions/deed-restricted communities-- its too cookie-cutter, there's no privacy and people get crazy about things like how you keep your lawn. I did that for awhile in another state and felt like a Stepford wife. It seems though (from what I can gather on the internet), that if you are staying at or below the 400K range, you are not going to find a place with a lot big enough to afford privacy in one of the desirable school districts and within under 30 minutes of driving distance from downtown Nashville. Am I correct in my assumption?
Yes this can be found in the Hendersonville and Mt Julet areas which both offer good schools are about 20 minutes from downtown.

Spring Hill is a good trek from downtown, especially during rush hour.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarey64 View Post
I am planning a relo after the 1st of the year. What areas of the metro area would be a good place for a single woman to put down roots?.. I will probably be working at Vandy but don't know if I want to live around there unless there is a mix of ages. Am used to a cafe society and being able to walk to grocery stores and other shopping, proximity to a yoga studio is also key. Any social/business clubs that are geared towards the professional? Am planning on renting first to get a feel for areas then will plan on buying within a year.
Possibly the Gulch area? Lots condos, some restaurants, and some shopping and a hot yoga studio...

Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
Possibly the Gulch area? Lots condos, some restaurants, and some shopping and a hot yoga studio...
It seems likely that the OP has found housing in the ensuing 4 1/2 years since her post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville