Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 AM

8 posts, read 11,127 times

Advertisements

Alright I feel some what like a lost puppy, and I need some help. I am planning on moving to the Nasvhille area in Jan. Which is about 3 months away. I am trying to be very organized and get my ducks in a row but its very HARD! I just went up there for a weekend to try to get a feel for some of the areas and look at apartments. Well I failed! I was so lost and confused. I needless to say did not realize the size of the area! Also this is not a trip to make in one weekend. The drive was long and I do not really want to truck on up there every weekend! I am 24 years old and moving to Nashville for something fun and new to try. I would like to stay in an area that is young and fresh (but does not need to have a high price tag!) I am very artsy and love to go out and a just have a drink from time to time in the week. Hey we all have those days! I have no job lined up yet so distance is not really a problem. However I would like to still be kinda close to downtown are. And once again the big thing is PRICE. Like I said I am 24 I do not want to spend alot on a place to live. But still want something safe and somewhat nice! So PLEASE I need some help and Ideas!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,486,923 times
Most of the "younger" parts of town are also in higher-rent areas. That's not to say you can't find a bargain out there, just that it will take a little work.

I would start out by looking in the West End/Hillsboro Village area near Vanderbilt University and Belmont University. Fun spot to live in, lots of younger people there, plenty of nightlife, restaurants, and shopping. And since it is in a very college-heavy area, there are bound to be cheaper apartments around...not sure about the quality.

Next, I'd check around the 12South and Lipscomb University areas. 12th Avenue South is an up-and coming area...not as well-established as Hillsboro Village, but on its way. Again, young crowd, plenty to eat/drink. If you check closer to Lipscomb you'll probably find some duplexes to rent. But this area is fairly high priced and around Lipscomb it is very much a residential neighborhood. There are apartments tucked around there, though. You might also look around nearby Green Hills...which is definitely high-rent but there are affordable gems here and there.

The Gulch is a popular nightlife and young place...but it is very expensive. I doubt you'd find anything there that you could afford, unfortunately. Likewise East Nashville is a great place to live and play but it is mostly gentrified homes...only a handful of apartments...and you have a very rough neighborhood nearby too.

The most economical choices I can think of would be in Brentwood (south of Nashville) but still in Davidson County. Most of Brentwood is in wealthier Williamson County, but there is a stretch of it in Davidson which is nearby the interstate, has some shopping/dining options in Nippers Corner, and is a good area. It is suburban, however, so you're not going to find as much wild stuff going on. I had a friend who lived in the Brentwood Oaks complex and it was very nice. And reasonable. Lots of young professionals out that way.

Another good choice would be Bellevue for the same reasons above. It is west of town...a little further drive into Nashville, but still very reasonable. And there is a little more to do in the way of restaurants out in Bellevue.

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:46 PM

210 posts, read 588,732 times
Hey Alyjm,
Don is pretty right on with the area breakdown. One thing that might help us locals out in giving you some advice is to know your price range. Not to be nosy but that would help us maybe pinpoint some of your best options

Old 10-04-2010, 03:06 PM

Hello There! Ha well I'm not 100% sure...I know once things get into the 800-and up range Im not wanting to spend. I have been down that road having a 800 dollar rent payment each month and it's just not something i'm wanting to do again. Yes I understand alot of places are in that price area but I also do know it is possible to find something just as nice for less. Just a matter of looking in the right area, I do not need anything large. I would like to still be able to have fun while I am there and not just be working to pay rent. But we must keep in mind I am a single 24 year old girl and need to be in a safe area...you know nothing where you will find bars on the windows ect. Ha

Old 10-04-2010, 03:30 PM

What areas should I stay clear away from?

Old 10-04-2010, 08:21 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,353,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyjm View Post
What areas should I stay clear away from?
Antioch come to mind first. Some may not like East or North Nashville. Others may not like the Nolensville area around the Zoo. The Zoo is fine to visit, I just don't know if you would like to live there.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 AM

815 posts, read 2,023,833 times
Let me be honest with you, you ask what area to stay clear of people may say Antioch, as the poster did above, but that answer is just out of convience, based on what others like to say on here, and lack of knowledge of the Antioch area, not going to go there... However to help you out with areas to move to I can do that. First Question is do you have a car? You say you don't want to pay over $800 but want to live close to downtown? Let me put it like this, Nashville is a city that is undergoing urban revitilization, meaning you will find parts of the area near downtown nice and others not so nice, some cheap and others not so cheap. Let me further explain. You can find a new condo right in the heart of downtown but you will not be paying less than $800. Or you can live on the outskirts of downtown in South, South East, East, North or West Nashville and find an apartment as low as probally $200, based on your income, up to $500 something, however, that apartment community will probally not be what you are looking for as far as safety, or may even be considered public housing, yes there is public housing in East Nashville.
If you move on out from the core of the city, lets say anywhere around the Briley Prky ring, which runs pretty much around the city, about 5 to 6 miles from downtown you will start to find better apartment communities for resonable prices upper $400 to $500, $600 range, safety may very on individual apartments community. Areas to look into in those areas are 100 Oaks area, which is actually Thompson Ln on that end of Briley or areas off I-65 South, 1-24 at Briley South East of Downtown, Elm Hill and Briley in Donelson area or Lebanon Rd. at Briley also in Donelson, or Briley at Broadmoar/Ellington Prkw in Madison or Briley at Gallitin also in Madison. All those areas are pretty much have the same demographics, safety, and price ranges closer to what you are probally looking for and distance to downtown.
For apartment communites that are in the $500-$800 range, that are more community friendly and newer, however all about 20 mins from downtown, you may need to look in the Antioch, Hermitage, Madison, Goodletsville, Bellvue.
Let me explain Antioch, Southeast Davidson, since I live in Antioch. There are several nice,new, $600-800 areas in Antioch. East of I-24, South and East of Bel to Mt. View or Cane Ridgel or North of Murfreesboro Rd to Old Hickory. If you find an apartment that is listed with the zip 37211 it is not Antioch, often times confussed with Antioch however is not and I would not recomend those areas, specifically in the Harding Place/Nolensville Rd/Haywood Ln. areas.
The closer you get to Williamson County, Green Hills, Belle Meade, West End, Belmont etc. the more you will be paying for an apartment for the same qualities, if not less, than you will get in Antioch, Hermitage, or Madison.
All my suggestions are based on you saying that you don't want to pay too much money, however want a safe area. Having a car is pretty much a need in Nashville, unless you are just willing to pay a lot of money for convience to everything, coffe shops, bars etc. or live in an unsafe area, also close to coffe shops and bars, etc... all close to downtown.
Let me know if I can further assist you in your search, I can give the breakdown on other areas as well.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:55 AM

I guess I do need to correct my statment saying I want to stay close to downtown area. A 15 to 20 min drive is still the kind of close I am talking about. I have a friend who stays in Hermitage area and that is not a bad drive at all..pretty much a straight shot to downtown area. Yes I have a car (and a car payment to go along). And I do have the income for higher rent payment if needed. Basically this is what I am looking for, I am currently living in Madison MS. If any of you have ever been to madison you know exactly what I am talking about. We are known as the town of brick. Everything is clean and nice ( and yes alot of money to live here). Apartments are not even allowed in the city of Madison. So you go right next door to Ridgeland which is still just as nice as madison...in some parts! In the area that is nice There are boutiques, out door malls, and great places to eat in the area. And yes there are your high apartments ranging from $1000 and up. and right down the road which are just as nice you can get a place for around $500-700. Now.. do not get me wrong there are some apartmetns that a single young girl like myself should not live in the Ridgeland area but those are closer to Jackson. And I am sure alot you know about the Jackson MS area. High crime. If any of you were wanting to move to MS and wanting the best place to live near the center of Jackson it would be hands down Madison for how nice the city is. Not great for the younger crowd. More of the family type of place. So I am sure all of yall get the idea of what I am looking for.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:22 AM

815 posts, read 2,023,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyjm View Post
I guess I do need to correct my statment saying I want to stay close to downtown area. A 15 to 20 min drive is still the kind of close I am talking about. I have a friend who stays in Hermitage area and that is not a bad drive at all..pretty much a straight shot to downtown area. Yes I have a car (and a car payment to go along). And I do have the income for higher rent payment if needed. Basically this is what I am looking for, I am currently living in Madison MS. If any of you have ever been to madison you know exactly what I am talking about. We are known as the town of brick. Everything is clean and nice ( and yes alot of money to live here). Apartments are not even allowed in the city of Madison. So you go right next door to Ridgeland which is still just as nice as madison...in some parts! In the area that is nice There are boutiques, out door malls, and great places to eat in the area. And yes there are your high apartments ranging from $1000 and up. and right down the road which are just as nice you can get a place for around $500-700. Now.. do not get me wrong there are some apartmetns that a single young girl like myself should not live in the Ridgeland area but those are closer to Jackson. And I am sure alot you know about the Jackson MS area. High crime. If any of you were wanting to move to MS and wanting the best place to live near the center of Jackson it would be hands down Madison for how nice the city is. Not great for the younger crowd. More of the family type of place. So I am sure all of yall get the idea of what I am looking for.
Oh ok, that is more like it, 15 to 20 mins from downtown, well any nice area around here it is going to be 20 to 25, give or take a few mins. Since you mention your friend lives in Hermitage, the area near apartments near Summit Hospital in Hermitage, right along I40, are nice, however they are in the $700-900 range. You can also check Old Hickory Blvd part of Hermitage, the apartments towards Percy Priest Lake run from as low as the upper $400 range, on special, to $700's, however a bit older apartments as compared to the ones near Summit Hospital. I wouldn't recommend the ones near I-40 just north on Old Hickory in Hermitage, though lower rent. You can also try the Stewarts Ferry Pk/Bell Rd area of Donelson which is off if I-40, the part of Bell that run along the lake and over the dam connecting Antioch to Donelson/Hermitage area, affordable, clean apartment complexes in that area. You may also want to look into Mt. Juliet in the Providence area, may be a little bit more price than what you are looking for, however convience to the mall area, but further away from downtown Nashville. Same thing with Smryna in Ruthford County, Sam Ridley Pkyw area off of I-24, probally in the $550-800 range. If you look in Antioch look in the Mt. View Rd area/Old Franklin Rd./Crossings Blvd. or Old Hickory Blvd, the part that turns to Hobson Pk./Mt. Juliet Rd., several newer apartment communites in the $600-$700 range in that portion of Antioch.
As you can see I am partial of Eastern and South Eastern parts of Davidson County and Wilson or Rutherford, because I feel you can get more for what you pay for in those areas, due to proximity to other ares from Eastern/Southeastern half of Davidson county and NW Rutherford and W Wilson.
PM me for more information

Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 AM

210 posts, read 588,732 times
Ok, just going to make a suggestion. Might get flagged but i feel its one of the best resources when looking for property. You need to look at RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder
You can select the county (davidson i am assuming) and many other criteria like price range and "rental". it will also let you map the location to you can see where the property is in location to your needs/wants. The site is pretty easy to nav, and feel free to come back and ask about certain locations
You can also google a map on nashville zip codes if you want to narrow down your search to a specific area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville