Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:40 AM

34 posts, read 56,532 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be coming to Nashville for a weekend in early October. This is a first time visit for both of us. We will be staying at the Renaissance Grand downtown. Our plan is to basically eat, drink and enjoy the nightlife. What are some of the bars we should check out to hear some great live music that is within walking distance? We are not huge country music fans but we do like the folk/bluegrass genre as well as the indie music scene. We would also like to do a nice dinner one night...any recommendations? Also any good brewpubs? I am a big fan of craft beer and love trying out the local beers in other cities. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 AM

610 posts, read 1,626,073 times
Broadway 2nd Ave to 5th Ave is Nashville's resident tourist spot-any of the bars there will have great food and music.
Another part of downtown that's more local and away from the cowboy boot and hat people (the tourists), head for the Gulch. Capitol Grill (downtown, not Gulch)is about the nicest dinner you can get in Tennessee. Other suggestions are the Palm, Virago, Kayne Prime. Local beer can be found aplenty at the Flying Saucer. Yazoo is Nashville's local brewery-just a hop over on Division St. Also in the Gulch is the Station Inn for some bluegrass-get there early Welcome to the Station Inn (I wish the Steeldrivers were playing when y'all come in!)

Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM

933 posts, read 2,745,056 times
Go to the Yazoo Brewery website and sign up for the free tour. It's located in The Gulch near downtown. I believe they only give these on Saturdays. My wife signed me up last year and it was fun, plus you get quite a bit of free beer. In addition to the other music venue suggestions, you might want to see who's playing at The Cannery or Mercy Lounge. It's near the Gulch as well. I would also check out Robert's Western World on Broadway. As I've said on here before, Tootsie's get's all the press but Robert's is where it's at. More locals go here when they are downtown. Also highly recommend City House in Germantown for dinner. My wife and I like to sit at the kitchen bar and watch them work. Have fun.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to visiting.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:24 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,099,663 times
I second the Flying Saucer for beer - it's behind the Union Station Hotel which you can not miss right off 65 on Broadway. There is a parking lot (pay) behind it, down the hill.

The Flying Saucer Draught Emporium - www.beerknurd.com

I also really like the Blackstone - west on Broadway after 65 and then to West End Avenue.

Blackstone Brewpub & Brewery | Nashville TN | Restaurant | Craft Beers

Had the pleasure of having dinner at the Capital Grille. It was very yummy but also expensive. The Sweet Onion Bisque soup is REALLY good . . I suggest having lunch there? Great food for maybe 1/3 the price of dinner?

Nashville Fine Dining, Best Downtown Restaurants | Capitol Grille

Also very much enjoyed the Palm and I think it's slightly less expensive. It's under the Hilton.

Top Nashville Steakhouses: The Palm: Nashville Steak Restaurant, Downtown Private Dining

Pucketts downtown is fun - "lively"!

Free Line Dancing lessons at the Wildhorse Saloon after 5 . . .

Homepage - Wildhorse Saloon

And Air Supply is playing there on October 5th.

Check the Ryman, too, for the days you are here. Great place to hear music . . .

Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,730,645 times
I'd do dinner at the Southern, the new restaurant in the Pinnacle Building. Really, really good. For non-country, see who's playing at 12&Porter.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 AM

8 posts, read 9,909 times
I would also suggest 1808 for food. Don't hear a ton about them but they are very good and great service. Locatd inside the Hutton Hotel on West End.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations. How is City House? Reviews seem pretty good. If we went would probably go Sunday night and the website says the menu changes every Sunday.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:22 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,730,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins79 View Post
Thanks for all the recommendations. How is City House? Reviews seem pretty good. If we went would probably go Sunday night and the website says the menu changes every Sunday.
Make an early reservation for a Sunday night.

A great venue that usually isn't country is the Rutledge. The Rutledge

Not sure of the bands, but the space is great.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 PM

49 posts, read 173,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins79 View Post
My wife and I will be coming to Nashville for a weekend in early October. This is a first time visit for both of us. We will be staying at the Renaissance Grand downtown. Our plan is to basically eat, drink and enjoy the nightlife. What are some of the bars we should check out to hear some great live music that is within walking distance? We are not huge country music fans but we do like the folk/bluegrass genre as well as the indie music scene. We would also like to do a nice dinner one night...any recommendations? Also any good brewpubs? I am a big fan of craft beer and love trying out the local beers in other cities. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any input.

there is no night life here. good ol church people here want everyone in the bed at 8pm and dont drink and drive because they are heavy on that here and your chances of getting caught are high. They have dui checkpoints everyweekend at multiple spots and sometimes downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville