Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM

200 posts, read 324,746 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm planning to move to Nashville - don't know when depending on job opportunities that present themselves in my field. However, I'm starting to get organized right now so when I'm ready to make the move (I'm starting to save $$ right now to be secure for the 1st few months.) I'll have the resources already. 1 of these important resources is finding the right bank that suits my needs. I'm thinking of setting up a basic checking & savings account, BUT W/OUT MONTHLY Bank Fees - Charges. I've looked or browsed thru a few banks' webs, such as "Bank of America", "Sun Trust", & "1st Tennessee", but I noticed that All 3 banks CHARGE MONTHLY FEES. I know up here (in the North) there are (small) banks that have NO MONTHLY FEES/CHARGES (the bank I have up here Doesn't Charge or Have Any Monthly Fees). & @ the same time I've come across some banks up here that DO HAVE Monthly Fees/Charges (e.g. "Chase" used to be my bank, but after while being w/ them they changed their services in Charging "Maintenance Fees".).

So, what I wanted to know is:

1) Are there any Banks in Nashville that DON'T HAVE Any MONTHLY FEES-CHARGES??

& if there are Banks that Have NO MONTHLY FEES -

2) What Banks are they?

(I Really hope NOT All the Banks in Nashville CHARGE MONTHLY FEES.) Please let me know. I'm open to any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,724,159 times
I use Bank of Nashville. They don't charge me a fee, but I'm not sure whether that is because of my work arrangement. I'd also suggest looking into a credit union. That is what I had (still have) in California. Much preferable to a bank, IMO.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:00 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
I know the folks behind both of these banks.

Avenue Bank | Personal Banking

https://www.reliantbank.com/personal-checking.htm

Both have a "free" checking option, though SOME transaction fees will apply. You will need to read the fine print to see where.

Avenue also reimburses you for ATM charges at other banks.

Of course, a lot will depend on convenience. You will want a bank that has branches/ATMs close to where you live and work.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 PM

374 posts, read 693,645 times
We use Tennessee Bank & Trust. They have a no-fee interest-earning checking account. Only two branches (Green Hills and Franklin) but the Green Hills location is next to a wine store and Trader Joe's. If that doesn't meet your needs I don't know what will. My husband is a bit scatterbrained and if he's ever overdrawn they give him a call so he can make a transfer before they process the checks.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
next to a wine store and Trader Joe's. If that doesn't meet your needs I don't know what will.
...should be on a T-shirt...

Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 AM

79 posts, read 241,881 times
I know that Bank of America (BofA) doesn't charge any fee either to checkings or savings account, if you have direct deposit of paycheck to the checkings account. Ascend Federal Credit Union (AFCU) has one time membership fee of $5 and then no fee but the membership is limited. When I moved my direct deposit from BofA to AFCU, I realized that I'll have to pay a fee to keep the Bof accounts. I wanted to keep the account open just because it has branches all over. I was able to do that because BofA has featured accounts called "Online accounts" (I think). You don't pay any fee and you've access to online account and also all the ATM (for withdrawals and deposits) BUT there is a charge per visit to use the teller service.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
We use Tennessee Bank & Trust. They have a no-fee interest-earning checking account. Only two branches (Green Hills and Franklin) but the Green Hills location is next to a wine store and Trader Joe's. If that doesn't meet your needs I don't know what will. My husband is a bit scatterbrained and if he's ever overdrawn they give him a call so he can make a transfer before they process the checks.
Hey Sucrose, I just wanted to Say Your "is next to a wine store and Trader Joe's. If that doesn't meet your needs I don't know what will" HaHaHaHaHa!!! SOOOO....etc. FUNNY!! "Wmsn4Life" IS RIGHT! I think you should put that on a T-Shirt. I think people would buy that & you could make A LOT of $$$ & Put it into your "TN Bank & Trust" bank. But I loved the way you put it (tho' I Did go online to Google Maps & found it). I wonder if you're a Musician b/c that's such a Creative Line. LOL!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsshanks View Post
I know that Bank of America (BofA) doesn't charge any fee either to checkings or savings account, if you have direct deposit of paycheck to the checkings account. Ascend Federal Credit Union (AFCU) has one time membership fee of $5 and then no fee but the membership is limited. When I moved my direct deposit from BofA to AFCU, I realized that I'll have to pay a fee to keep the Bof accounts. I wanted to keep the account open just because it has branches all over. I was able to do that because BofA has featured accounts called "Online accounts" (I think). You don't pay any fee and you've access to online account and also all the ATM (for withdrawals and deposits) BUT there is a charge per visit to use the teller service.
Itsshanks, Thank you for your suggestion, but b/f I posted this thread I've done some research online & found that "Bank of America" was 1 of the banks down there so b/f I went to work yesterday morn. I went into one of their locations up here. I spoke to a Rep, but he says the opposite. He told me THERE IS A Monthly Charge. Whether it's the "Advantage with Tiered Interest Checking", "My Access Checking", Or "E-Banking" Yes, There are No Fees, BUT that's Only if You Meet their Requirements of Maintaining a Certain Balance. Plus, I'm Not interested in Online Banking b/c of All this ID Fraud & "Phishing" sites going on in the Internet (e.g. I paid $60 to a career coach of mine thru "PayPal" she got it fine, BUT then I get a notice a month later saying "Dear PayPal User, Thank you for your payment of $516 to Dennis Quinn. For Help Click Here". So, I did, LUCKILY when I DID the Page wouldn't open - Page Not Found. So, I called "PayPal" & the guy told me that it wasn't them & if it was PayPal they would address me by My Name & Not "PayPal User". He then asked me if I saw any other addresses besides mine listed & when I said 'yeah' he said to ignore that b/c someone's trying to phish for my info.). So, prefer doing things "on Paper".
But Thanks Anyway!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 PM

Here's the Bank I have Up Here. Here is their Link:

Amalgamated Bank, America's Labor Bank - Personal Services - Checking

They're Union-Owned Bank Or is a National bank owned by the Workers United/SEIU labor union (I went on Yahoo to see if they would be considered as a "Credit Union". When I described this bank to someone down there @ another bank that rep told me Credit Union Banks down in Nashville are the Same KIND of Banks like "Amalgamated".). So, I Don't Know if "Amalgamated" Would be considered as a "Credit Union".

But Do You See Their "BASIC CHECKING" Listed in the Middle? THAT'S What I have.

Now, when I move down I'm not sure how my Job situation is going to look like. I do want to teach @ a College (I have a Masters Degree) & I taught for 6 1/2 yrs. in the Parochial School system (I didn't want to get Certified b/c I didn't want to stay in the Elementary or H.S. Level of Educ.). I also have a Classical Music Bacgr. & Piano is my Main Instrument & I know there are Non-Profit Music Orgs. down there. SO, I made contacts & am looking for job leads while Saving $$ & getting More Skills up here, but I Don't Know EXACTLY Or What Job I'll be doing @ the time it all depends. I might find myself Teaching @ a College/Univ. by the time I get down there, I might find myself working @ a Music Non-Profit Org., etc. So, Creating a Direct Deposit is Up in the Air. It's too early to tell, but I know that if I have a job where I'm making Decent $$ then I could be thinking of having a Direct Deposit (When I taught Full-Time instead of Per Diem 1 yr. that's when I took advantage of Direct Deposit.), but if it's a job like working in Retail like "Staples" where You DON'T MAKE A LOT of $$$ then you know It's IMPERATIVE to HAVE that $$ right there & then for any immediate emergencies.

So, that's why having a bank LIKE "Amalgamated" fits my needs for either situation (btw. when I did have that Full Time Teaching Job it was "Amalgamated" - even tho' I had other banks in the past in other areas that I lived in - that I had a Direct Deposit w/. Now, I can't afford to b/c my situation's changed. Now, I work @ "Staples" & am Not making enough $$ so I Need to Take Home my Paycheck.).

Old 07-17-2012, 11:27 PM

222 posts, read 639,360 times
As itsshanks stated, there is no fee nor monthly charge for Bank of America checking if you have direct deposit of at least $250 per month OR maintain a certain balance. You don't have to do both. I know this because I use BoA. Plus, I just read it on their site. Perhaps the person you spoke with didn't clarify the difference. Good luck with your search and move! Edited to add: Sorry, I posted at about the same time as your most recent. I see that you don't want to depend on direct deposit for the free checking.

Last edited by skyblueNashville; 07-17-2012 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: added something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: