Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 10:57 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,935,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
I could care less. The show sucked. I saw no personal benefit to more tourists. If you want to bring back a show....bring back Friday Night Lights or The Office....something people want to watch.
You do realize that you responded to my reply to another poster, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 11:08 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,488,115 times
I'll go to my grave saying the boom the city is enjoying was only marginally driven by the show.

That said, of course having it continue would be a good thing. I'm glad to hear it, for both the fans and the city. Sounds like this is probably the best case scenario...CMT makes a lot of sense...and a partnership with Hulu is encouraging.

From what I read, critics were pretty harsh on them this season so hopefully the writers are able to kick it up a notch and not make this a final season victory lap.

edit: also it's great timing for CMT to announce this with CMA fest going on.

Last edited by DonCorleone; 06-08-2016 at 11:31 AM..

Old 06-08-2016, 11:33 AM

456 posts, read 588,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
So because you personally did not care for "Nashville", you denigrate the millions who DID watch it faithfully, discount economic benefits to your city, and raised its profile in the awareness of many others. Good job there.

I disliked "The Office" but have no problem with those who enjoyed it. I agree that "Friday Night Lights" was very good. If you want to see them return, however, why not follow the example of "Nashville" fans and advocate for them?? That change.org "Renew Nashville for season five" petition has 173,256 signatures right now, and it's gaining signers at the rate of close to 1,000 per day.

Seems to me that indicates that "Nashville" IS "something that people want to watch". No, this last season was not great, given the poor writing and unlikely plot scenarios, but the new showrunners should easily take care of that, while the outstandingly talented regular cast members and gorgeous city - and of course, the music, the wonderful music - remain the series' strongest assets.

Sorry you didn't appreciate them.
The ratings were bad. The music was bad. The storylines were terrible and hard to follow. Tourism in Nashville was doing just fine without ABC's Nashville. The TV show made the city look like a joke at times. It was a very sleezy show and portrayed the music industry here poorly. The show was based around East Nashville, Belle Meade and downtown. Crap, even some of the scenes in Nashville were unrealistic.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:51 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,755,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
The ratings were bad. The music was bad. The storylines were terrible and hard to follow. Tourism in Nashville was doing just fine without ABC's Nashville. The TV show made the city look like a joke at times. It was a very sleezy show and portrayed the music industry here poorly. The show was based around East Nashville, Belle Meade and downtown. Crap, even some of the scenes in Nashville were unrealistic.
They filmed elsewhere too.

Scenes were filmed in Sumner County, the area around Trevecca Univ, Lebanon Rd in Donelson,
Mount Olivet Cemetery....

Old 06-08-2016, 05:47 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,935,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
They filmed elsewhere too.

Scenes were filmed in Sumner County, the area around Trevecca Univ, Lebanon Rd in Donelson,
Mount Olivet Cemetery....
Fort Campbell, the Parthenon, and Hillsboro Village were also used as locations. I think Fall Creek Falls State Park was used for Will's getaway/runaway location a couple of seasons ago, and Cheekwood stood in for...the Nashville Zoo! (that's always puzzled me). The "Spirit of Music" statue (I may have the name slightly wrong) appeared in the first season as the backdrop for a video featuring Juliette Barnes. Deacon's waterfront cabin is not anywhere downtown, or in east Nashville, or in Belle Meade. The center hallway of Andrew Jackson's "The Hermitage" stood in for Rayna's father's elaborate home. The church from which Juliette was a runaway bride is a local suburban church.

And of course, both the Ryman and the Grand Ole Opry out at Opryland have been featured heavily. The "General Jackson" riverboat was also used as a location during the first season (which did seem to showcase the city more and better).

It's been a long time since I spent a year in Nashville during grad. school, and I have no doubt present-day locals recognized other landmarks and locations used for filming "Nashville". It certainly was not limited to east Nashville, downtown, and Belle Meade. Perhaps those who think this was the case need to explore this beautiful city more thoroughly.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:23 PM

4,351 posts, read 4,736,757 times
Also, the Gulch, Germantown and the Bicentennial Mall (remember Marcus and his concert?)

But after the first season they built multiple sets in North Nashville and made interiors of the houses and offices to exact replicas.

The highway 65 office exterior The highway 65 offices is on church street at about 7th.

The exterior of Juliet's beautiful beautiful modern house is in Oak Hill. It was also in a rascal Flatts video.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:04 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,105,491 times
Deacon's river cabin is out by the Opry. I was put at the soundstage today and everything is still in tact hoping for a pick up.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:29 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,090,692 times
I don't understand how a city could experience a tourism boom thanks to a show with bad ratings that was inevitably cancelled. It doesn't make sense. IMO, Nashville is an appealing destination for tourists for a variety of reasons, but the fact that country music ITSELF is part of popular culture right now is driving it more than some terrible TV show.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:47 AM

4,351 posts, read 4,736,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I don't understand how a city could experience a tourism boom thanks to a show with bad ratings that was inevitably cancelled. It doesn't make sense. IMO, Nashville is an appealing destination for tourists for a variety of reasons, but the fact that country music ITSELF is part of popular culture right now is driving it more than some terrible TV show.
It makes a lot of sense.

“It’s hard to put a financial [number] on it, just because it’s so broad, so big and it really has been significant,” said Butch Spyridon, president of the Nashville Convention and Visitors Corp, adding that “Nashville” airs in almost 100 countries: “It would take my budget for the next 10 years to run our commercial every week in 100 countries.”

Also - look at what it did for pretty much every venue mentioned on the show.

Full article here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nts-it-to-end/

Old 06-09-2016, 11:13 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,105,491 times
Nashville earns a fifth season on CMT

CMT picks up 'Nashville' for fifth season
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville