Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,618 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be moving to Nashville from India in May with my husband and a baby and was wondering if anyone could help me out?

I have been searching online and everything looks far. My basic requirements are walking distances to grocery stores and parks (on account of my little one). Since we dont know the area at all, any insight and suggestions are welcome!!! thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 05:42 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,844,748 times
What is your price range?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:43 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,337,820 times
Just to go ahead and warn you, there are very few places in Nashville that fit this criteria. Nashville is a very car-centric city, and spread out.

As viva asked...we need to know your price range. And do either of you have a job lined up?...location could be very important. Will you be renting or buying? Are schools a consideration?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,618 times
Our price range is $600-$1000. My husband does have a job. Its out of Murfreesboro. It would be easier for me to not depend on my hubby to cart me around. We would like to look at both renting and buying. Schools not so much right now because my son is 8 months old.

Also how long does it take to get a driving license? I have one here but since we'll be moving soon, I wont have the time to get an international license.

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:00 AM

286 posts, read 699,738 times
At that price, it's going to be tough finding anything that fits your criteria while still being safe.

Your best bet is probably the area around Blair Blvd and Natchez Trace. You could walk to Dragon Park as well as Harris Teeter. Another option would be living near Sevier park and feasibly walking to the Kroger on 8th. I'm not as familiar with the outlying areas.

But with either of those options, your husband would have a crazy commute.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 AM

17 posts, read 41,672 times
There are a lot of adverts for apartments in M-boro on Craigslist.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:13 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,337,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post
At that price, it's going to be tough finding anything that fits your criteria while still being safe.

Your best bet is probably the area around Blair Blvd and Natchez Trace. You could walk to Dragon Park as well as Harris Teeter. Another option would be living near Sevier park and feasibly walking to the Kroger on 8th. I'm not as familiar with the outlying areas.

But with either of those options, your husband would have a crazy commute.
That was actually the first spot that came to mind for me...but the commute to Murfreesboro...that would be hell.

OP - you might want to look into the Nippers Corner area (Edmondson Pike @ Old Hickory Blvd). There are 3 grocery stores at that intersection, and a public library branch and a small park are nearby. There's also a bigger park at Granberry Elementary School just a little ways away. I wouldn't be too crazy about crossing the streets, because those are pretty busy roads...but I see people doing it quite often.

Also, it would put your husband in a much better spot for a trip to Murfreesboro.

You might also check with someone more familiar with Smyrna and Murfreesboro if anything fits in those areas. Though I would especially hate to be there without a car.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:28 PM

367 posts, read 585,681 times
Vintage at the Parke in Murfreesboro might be an option. It is in south Murfreesboro. You could easily walk to Barfield Crescent Park and to Kroger (Grocery Strore).

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...e-Parke/22842/

Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 AM

54 posts, read 130,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouza View Post
Also how long does it take to get a driving license? I have one here but since we'll be moving soon, I wont have the time to get an international license.
So for getting the drivers licence, you will need to check the Tennesse DMV website. Based on my exp, you can rent a car based on your Indian licence and you will need to take a driving test, (probably) vision test. The complete process should take around an 1 hr (you need to be there at 6:30/7:00 AM) and be the first in line.

Lastly, you can use ur Indian licence in US but it is advisable to get a US licence as it is very helpful. You also will need to take few docs to DMV which shows your address prof, your passport/SSN. So get all the docs together before you head out.

HTH

Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,395 times
The DMV wait for license is at least 2 months for Davidson County, Rutherford can't be much better. You would have to go somewhere like Maury County if you want it quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville