Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 08:04 PM

5 posts, read 8,580 times

Advertisements

Hi there, hoping to get feedback from locals on good places to buy real estate, probably south of Nashville.

Last year I moved from D.C., am renting in Goodlettsville, and am now looking to buy. My mom, who has some medical needs, lives with me. I like Goodlettsville but (1) the company I work for is moving to Cool Springs later this year and (2) I was told this was not a good area to buy. I work from home 3 days a week, so commute isn't a huge concern, but 1 hour tops would be ideal.

We're looking for 3 BR/2 BA less than $130k in a suburban area that is safe/quiet, not a ton of traffic (ala Antioch), has stores and medical facilities not too far away (my mother does drive, but I don't want to be too far from emergency care), is within 1 hour's drive of Cool Springs, and is perceived as nice. What I've seen people term "ghetto" here is nothing compared to the D.C. area. But since I'm going to be buying, I'd like to avoid an area people think is "ghetto" or is going downhill, which is what I've heard re: Antioch and Lavergne. Schools are not a concern.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
How would you feel about a condo or townhouse?

In Williamson County or parts of Bellevue, that would be your primary option.

If you want a single family home, you have MANY more choices in Columbia and Mt. Pleasant, in Maury County. I hesitate to recommend that area to a commuter, but it has many houses in your price range and a much slower pace for your mom.

http://www.realtracs.com/SearchResul...sHz0AMSgIR4WfA

Columbia also has medical facilities and is accessible via I-65 to Williamson Medical Center, which is a great hospital.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 02-07-2012 at 08:35 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 08:34 PM

No to a condo, but we'd consider a townhome. Thanks for any ideas!

Wmsn4Life - thanks for the link! These houses are NICE. Yes slower place is ideal and I'll only need to commute twice a week. Thanks!

Last edited by MustLuvCats; 02-07-2012 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: thanks

Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,815 times
There are two town home communities that might work for you in Franklin. I can't remember the name of either, but 1 is right across from the Kroger/Goodwill shopping plaza near down Franklin. It is on Del Rio Pike. The other is off Downs Blvd and the Franklin Trolley has a stop there.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:41 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,845,500 times
Goodlettsville is a great place to buy if you stick to the parts located on the Sumner County side where the schools are great. I'll be honest though, 130k would definitely be on the low end for those neighborhoods.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 AM

septimus and vivelafrance - thanks for the feedback, this is very helpful!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 AM

86 posts, read 210,891 times
Be careful saying no to condos if you wouldn't mind townhomes, around here a lot of times they can be set up the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville