Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:44 PM

310 posts, read 1,357,040 times

Advertisements

Planning a visit to Nashville in a few months to check it out and determine what areas are best for us. We're looking for a place where the home price doesn't start off at $300,000 and up, we can't afford that. Around $100,000-120,000 is more like it for us. Less is even better. We plan to rent first and hope to pay no more than $700/month max for rent. We want to go as cheap as possible so we have money left to save. One area in particular we are looking at is LaVergne, also Smyrna. Hendersonville maybe, if we can find something affordable. Judging by the real estate websites I've researched, I doubt we can live in Brentwood or Franklin, unless we win the lottery, or if there are some magical affordable lost lands somewhere in them that i'm not aware of. We want to be close to the city, decent schools, safe, you know the drill. Not expecting to be in the best of the best of the best area. I asked a somewhat similar question some time ago, but sometimes answers can be less than helpful (ie. recommending Brentwood to someone with a budget like mine, which leads me to believe such a person is just trying to deter me from moving). So if you know of some areas not mentioned we could check out also or if the criteria I search for exists please fill me in. I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,147 times
I would say Hendersonville or Smyrna would be good bets. It could depend on where you work. Both are good cities, probably 2nd tier, Franklin, Brentwood being 1st tier, the next best options. I live in Hendersonville and love it here. Here is what is available in that range in Hendersonville
RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

Smyrna
RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

Old 01-23-2012, 06:49 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
To echo El Passeaux, you can find something in that price range in Hendersonville. It will be entry-level and probably won't have everything on your wishlist, but I definitely think you can find something in that price range. I'm certain you could find a townhome/condo in Hville in your price range if that style of living doesn't bother you (it's not my cup of tea, personally but it does have some advantages). Definitely check out the Realtracs links above.

I'd also recommend looking in Goodlettsville. Goodlettsville is probably about 70% in Davidson County but there is a portion in Sumner County as well, which means that area is zoned for Sumner County Schools (Beech High School). The Davidson County side probably has more housing options, but you'd be zoned for Davidson Co schools, which in that part of town aren't bad especially at the elementary and middle school levels.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
I would check out White House. It's a fast growing suburban/exurban area north of Hendersonville. You get a lot of house for the money. The commute is longer but you have direct interstate access and it's a safe community with good schools.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM

9 posts, read 16,830 times
If metro schools aren't an issue for you, I'd check out Historic Old Hickory Village. Doesn't have the suburban feel, but more of a small town feel with a short commute to Nashville. (I-40 traffic is much less than that on 65N to White House or Hendersonville). Close to Mt. Juliet and Hendersonville. I grew up in Hendersonville and now live in OHV. Hendersonville is nicer, especially if you have children, but the traffic is becoming awful. OHV is worth checking out, as rent is affordable and many don't realize it even exists. The area between Hadley and the Lake/Riverside is nice. West of Hadley has some "rough renters" here and there.

old hickory village, tn - Google Maps

https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldhickory/

Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-Born_CO-Bound View Post
If metro schools aren't an issue for you, I'd check out Historic Old Hickory Village. Doesn't have the suburban feel, but more of a small town feel with a short commute to Nashville. (I-40 traffic is much less than that on 65N to White House or Hendersonville). Close to Mt. Juliet and Hendersonville. I grew up in Hendersonville and now live in OHV. Hendersonville is nicer, especially if you have children, but the traffic is becoming awful. OHV is worth checking out, as rent is affordable and many don't realize it even exists. The area between Hadley and the Lake/Riverside is nice. West of Hadley has some "rough renters" here and there.

Wow, your Facebook page makes me want to move there

Old 01-23-2012, 12:35 PM

Thank you so much everyone who contributed to this post. I appreciate it! I can't wait to visit and explore the area.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-Born_CO-Bound View Post

Thank you, I'll have to check that out when I'm there. Sounds right up my alley. I'm a small town girl, but I also like the suburban feel. What school district would my kids attend in OHV? Hendersonville?

Old 01-23-2012, 02:11 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
Thank you, I'll have to check that out when I'm there. Sounds right up my alley. I'm a small town girl, but I also like the suburban feel. What school district would my kids attend in OHV? Hendersonville?
That area zones to metro Nashville schools.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
That area zones to metro Nashville schools.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville