Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:29 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times

Advertisements

McEwen is going to be the next big boom area, as far as retail goes. The only issue that might affect resale at all would be the perception of the school zones and ongoing construction of the McEwen Drive extension.

What condos are you thinking of in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
McEwen is going to be the next big boom area, as far as retail goes. The only issue that might affect resale at all would be the perception of the school zones and ongoing construction of the McEwen Drive extension.

What condos are you thinking of in that area?
Well, we're probably going to buy a 2br/2ba, something too small for a family, but maybe large enough for a couple's starter home. I'm wondering if families with kids would be looking for larger properties than what we'd be buying temporarily, and I'm curious if that might spare us from the school zoning issue.

I noticed a few things for sale in McKays Mill near Liberty Park. They look nice but on the high end of the price spectrum.

Next were some condos on Carriage Park drive next to the country club, and Forrest Crossing blvd.

I also noticed a couple of condos in the triangle between Mufreesboro, Mack Hatcher and South Royal Oaks- but I'm suspicious of this area, when hubs and I drove through that section of Mufreesboro we thought it looked a bit sketchy compared to the other areas of Franklin.

There were also a bunch of condos closer to downtown Franklin on west Main, but I'm not sure I'd want to live that close to downtown because of the traffic.

I've also noticed some small homes for sale in the same price range, but I'm not sure if it would be better to go with a condo for something that small or a house. Hubs and I will be working full time until we have a baby, and until that time I can't say I'd look forward to having to do yard work

I'm on the fence about looking into foreclosures since I'm not sure if there's any good finds in a neighborhood we'd have an easy time flipping it when it comes time to move.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:09 PM

Some of those are pretty far from McEwen, but all are nice. The triangle area you mentioned isn't sketchy. It is older than everything along the McEwen interchange which, up until about 10 years ago was a pasture. Mallory Lane didn't even cut through from Cool Springs to Highway 96 until the mid-90s.

But I digress.

Carriage Park would be your WORST commute. It's a nice area, but you would have to get ACROSS Franklin, then UP I-65. You'd be surprised how long Royal Oaks Blvd. can stack up.

Have you searched on Realtracs? If you are looking at condos now, you can search here: RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder

Old 12-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Some of those are pretty far from McEwen, but all are nice. The triangle area you mentioned isn't sketchy. It is older than everything along the McEwen interchange which, up until about 10 years ago was a pasture. Mallory Lane didn't even cut through from Cool Springs to Highway 96 until the mid-90s.

But I digress.

Carriage Park would be your WORST commute. It's a nice area, but you would have to get ACROSS Franklin, then UP I-65. You'd be surprised how long Royal Oaks Blvd. can stack up.

Have you searched on Realtracs? If you are looking at condos now, you can search here: RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder

The only 2/2 condos for sale near McEwen/Carothers were the ones in the Mills. The others are just what I noticed on Zillow in the Franklin Area. Thanks for the real tracks link, it is a bit better than zillow.

How is the traffic on Mack Hatcher to Mufreesboro? The carriage park complex has an exit on Mack Hatcher, I'm wondering if it might be a better route than driving into downtown Franklin.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:41 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
Traffic piles up where Royal Oaks meets Mack Hatcher (by the Y), so you will hit it either way, unfortunately.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:17 PM

Ok, good to know! Thanks.

I wish there was a little more available in the McEwen/Carothers area for small condos. It looks like most of the inventory is going to be on the west side of 65 (and incidentally more traffic).

I'm also trying to figure out the difference in preferences between a NY buyer and a TN buyer. Where I am currently living location is pretty much tops because the commutes are truly horrible (it can literally take you hours to travel just a few miles), schools are #2 and condition (finishes, etc) are #3. Everything else isn't as important. Is this the same mindset of a Tennessee buyer? While hubs and I want to buy, we are going to flip the place in about 2-4 years and I'd hate to buy something for my needs, but wind up with something that people native to the area may not want to buy.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:53 PM

I don;t know if you ever looked at Venue at Cool Springs.

MAA - Apartment Communities - Venue at Cool Springs

It's an upscale rental community, brand new (opening Jan. 2012) and so tucked away behind the Jackson National Life HQ on Carothers that hardly anyone knows it's there. I don't know how the numbers will work out, though.

As for the Middle TN buyer, the predominant consideration is location because everything else depends on that: price, safety, schools, commute. For anyone who is looking in your price range, certain "finishes" will be a given because the young generation thinks anything that isn't "granite and stainless and hardwood" is yucky and older buyers expect certain finishes at a certain price point.

Of course, the typical Williamson County buyer has been parents with kids. But there is a growing population of older/more established career professionals who want to live near the many headquarters and other office jobs in the county. I think that market will continue to grow.

Did you also look at the View at Brentwood Pointe? Those are newer and nicely located.
The View at Brentwood Pointe - Franklin TN | Haury & Smith Contractors, Inc.

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

Old 12-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I don;t know if you ever looked at Venue at Cool Springs.

MAA - Apartment Communities - Venue at Cool Springs

It's an upscale rental community, brand new (opening Jan. 2012) and so tucked away behind the Jackson National Life HQ on Carothers that hardly anyone knows it's there. I don't know how the numbers will work out, though.

As for the Middle TN buyer, the predominant consideration is location because everything else depends on that: price, safety, schools, commute. For anyone who is looking in your price range, certain "finishes" will be a given because the young generation thinks anything that isn't "granite and stainless and hardwood" is yucky and older buyers expect certain finishes at a certain price point.

Of course, the typical Williamson County buyer has been parents with kids. But there is a growing population of older/more established career professionals who want to live near the many headquarters and other office jobs in the county. I think that market will continue to grow.

Did you also look at the View at Brentwood Pointe? Those are newer and nicely located.
The View at Brentwood Pointe - Franklin TN | Haury & Smith Contractors, Inc.

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results
Thanks again for the links. We drove by the Venue several times and thought about going into the management office for a tour, but decided against it due to the price point. While it wasn't out of our range, we felt that if we were going to spend something over $1200 a month we'd rather it be for something we're going to own.

I'll check out Brentwood pointe, thanks.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Thanks again for the links. We drove by the Venue several times and thought about going into the management office for a tour, but decided against it due to the price point. While it wasn't out of our range, we felt that if we were going to spend something over $1200 a month we'd rather it be for something we're going to own.

I'll check out Brentwood pointe, thanks.
Sounds good. Be sure you see the section called The View at Brentwood Pointe, which is newer and farther south on Gen. George Patton Dr. Some of the original Brentwood Pointe sections were built in the late 80s and are in varying stages of decor and condition. Also, there seem to be many more kids in the older sections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville