Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:31 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,850,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthaat View Post
Since you live in the area: The place I am looking at (detached townhomes, not a large building) has parking spaces, but no garages or anything. Should I worry at all about my car? I've only ever been by the place during the day.
I have 2 cars and a 1 car garage. I keep one on the street and on my block there's a fairly good mix of cars parked regularly on the street (Prius, Kompressor, etc). I've never had a problem and I would assume my neighbors haven't either since I still see their cars lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 03:09 PM

14 posts, read 41,605 times
Here is the description I gave some non-Nashville friends when I asked their opinion. What do you all think about how the two places sound on paper?

Quote:
Both condos have open kitchen/dining/living room floor plans, hardwood floors, pretty decent sized kitchens and granite countertops. Condo B is slightly more expensive, but it has a lower HOA monthly fee so they get closer to evening out.

Condo A is closer to school (12-15 min. commute vs. 20 min) and generally an area where more students tend to live. (Not necessarily students in my program, though I bet a few might live here.) It is a large complex, with flats in about 5 separate buildings (~250 units in total), built in 2007. The unit I am interested is on the top (3rd) floor of one building. 2 br/2 ba, 1280 sq ft. There is an extra room off the entryway that I could use as an office, and there's a nice balcony with a ceiling fan off the living area, where I could eat breakfast or read/do work, etc. Fridge, appliances, W/D and window hangings come included. However, there is no elevator, which would be a concern since I would like older family members to be able to visit on occasion without too much difficulty. Also, I'll get 2 (unassigned) parking spaces, but visitors might be relegated to the street (a bit of a walk) if they can't get visitor spaces. There is a pool and fitness center, which would be good for visitors, but they're not big selling points for me personally.

Condo B is brand new in a historic neighborhood slightly farther from school. The complex is pretty small--about 15 units, all of which are detached townhomes (but with no yards). 2 br/2.5 ba, 1400 sq ft. The bedrooms are upstairs, living space and 1/2 bath downstairs. Though it's a detached home, there are neighbors on three sides of the house (like 4 feet from one house to another), which means less natural light and people could see through a couple open windows. Also, there is a front porch and a balcony off the master bedroom, but part of the view is a small industrial lot and the rest looks towards old apartments. I wouldn't be very inclined to eat/do work on the balcony, and probably wouldn't want to keep furniture on the porch. Statistically the neighborhood has more crime, and I would install a security system (but probably would do so in the other place anyway). I would also need to buy a fridge, w/d, and window screens and blinds; possibly could negotiate for these. There will be one assigned parking space (not gated), and if/when I rented the 2nd bedroom, that person would need to park on the street. There is free street parking, but if I were renting, I might have an issue with leaving my car on the street all the time. This neighborhood is expected to undergo a certain amount of gentrification with the construction of other condos, restaurants, and shops in the area, which could make it a good investment if these projects are completed by the time I would be selling the place. There are some well known restaurants in the area, but my grad school budget wouldn't allow me to frequent them often.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,850,528 times
That's going to be a tough decision. Of course, I like Germantown's "feel" and its prospects for the future but I would be a bit down about the lack of fridge, w/d, screens, and blinds. I also like the smaller complex and detached townhome style you described of the Germantown home...the Melrose sounds more like an apartment style. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the view, at the rate things are changing here you'll probably be looking at more condos soon.

Also don't forget about the "food court" at the Farmer's Market for Germantown dining. It's very cheap and good. There's Jamaican, Cajun, Greek, Asian, BBQ, Indian, Mexican, and even a new "gourmet to go" place.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:04 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,365,600 times
I think both areas are up and coming. Most of the people who posted earlier in this thread have more relevant info to pass on...but to me it would boil down to this...Germantown is much closer to downtown, and is more of a "happening" place. Plainly, it's a sexier place to live. I think it has a ton of potential as far as development goes.

Melrose is somewhat of a quieter choice. The neighborhoods around there have improved...and there is a good chance property values will rise steadily...as it is somewhat of an easier place to make a "safe, quiet neighborhood"...yet it lacks Germantown's ease of access and appeal as far as location.

To me it would boil down to: happening, trendy, sexy neighborhood and quiet, steady, calm neighborhood.

It's a tough call. I would be happy in both. Germantown is far more convenient to downtown....Melrose is convenient to all of the *nice* areas of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville