Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 02:50 PM

13 posts, read 80,821 times

Advertisements

As a lesbian that lived in Nashville for several years I will agree with the previos posts on locations for housing. Keep in mind that these areas are more expensive than similar houses in other parts of town. Nashville has a wonderful nightlife for the GLBT communtiy and lots of charity events and things to become involved in. . . sad;y the same cannot be said for the majority of the state which is why my partner and I decided to move elsewhere before starting a family. Good luck with your move!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 03:18 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,684,373 times
I've had friends and neighbors who are gay and they liked Knoxville. There's an active gay community here and they hold a big Gay Pride weekend that my friends were involved with.
The South, in general, treats gays like they do blacks, hispanics, other "foreign" infiltrators: they tolerate and are friendly with individuals they know but will denounce them as groups.
Tennessee is very tolerant of eccentrics and gays often fall into that category in their eyes.
There is a Nashville newspaper for gays:
Out & About Newspaper—Tennessee's Best GLBT Source for News in Print, On TV and On the Web

Old 07-26-2007, 04:24 PM

11,257 posts, read 9,882,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I
In other words, compared to San Francisco, I'm sure Nashville's gay community feels isolated and oppressed. But compared to, say, Sacramento or Fresno, Nashville's gay community isn't too different.
There is no comparison between Sacramento and Fresno...I know this is a Tenn. forum. Sacramento is actually quite gay friendly. It's not a hick town at all. In fact recent surveys classified Sacramento as the most diverse city in the entire country, ethnically and otherwise. It's also far more political and therefore more "politically correct" as they say then our Fresno cousins.

Okay, back to Tenn. stuff.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:21 PM

16 posts, read 99,264 times
Nashville open-minded? its the MOST judgmental place I've ever seen...... I'm clicking my heels and hope to soon be back in So Cal. This place doesn't even have a sense of humor........

Old 10-14-2007, 02:04 PM

597 posts, read 2,114,846 times
I have some shiny red shoes you can have. I won't need them back, I'm already home.

Click Click.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:24 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,276,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004idiot View Post
Nashville open-minded? its the MOST judgmental place I've ever seen...... I'm clicking my heels and hope to soon be back in So Cal. This place doesn't even have a sense of humor........
You're going to end up in Kansas!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:11 PM

813 posts, read 2,038,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004idiot View Post
Well, if you came from So Cal expecting Nashville to be a similar vibe then you were only setting yourself up for major disappointment. That said, people may be different from what you're personally accustomed to here but there are truckloads of judgmental people everywhere. The South doesn't have a monopoly on them.

I'm a Black gay male and a proud Nashvillian. Guess what? Every single last time I've been to NYC I've been called the "n" word or the "f" word or, if I'm really lucky, both at the same time. But I still love New York and would never make a sweeping generalization of the city because of a few isolated incidents. I'm wise and well-traveled enough to realize that there are judgmental, racist homophobes in every state and every city. California, as socially progressive as it mostly is, is no exception to this and neither is Nashville.

Personally, I'm happy to be back here. I left this city about four years ago thinking Ann Arbor, MI was going to be some sort of new progressive promise land. It was not. As open-minded as Ann Arbor supposedly is, it isn't the perfect fit for me right now for various reasons. I admired the town for its' many great qualities and moved on to a better fit. Perhaps Nashville just isn't your fit. Perhaps you didn't particularly care for Nashville's great qualities. Perhaps you had already made up your mind before you could truly find your niche. I don't know. However, I do know that it's hard to say a city with all the gay bars on Church Street and churches on Gay Street lacks a sense of humor...or, at the very least, an intriguing sense of irony.

Good luck clicking your heels!

Last edited by ariesjow; 10-14-2007 at 10:35 PM..

Old 10-14-2007, 10:30 PM

813 posts, read 2,038,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAwine View Post
I have two different job offers and one of them is in Nashville. I'm looking for a hip urban and open-minded atmosphere. I'll be in Nashville soon and would love to know where these areas are in Nashville. Can you help me out?
I'll piggyback what others said and recommend East Nashville and Hillsboro Village. Those are Nashville's best neighborhoods that are very gay-friendly and urban. You should also consider 12South but it's probably a little less urban than the two former.

Also, I'm not sure about your price range but there are lofts and condos going up around the Gulch and the Germantown/N. Capitol areas that I've seen advertised in Out and About. Those areas are more "up and coming" and less established. Nashville's growing gay district is located on Church Street. It's strictly bars, clubs, restaurants, and retail. There isn't currently much if any residential in that part of the street but I hear some proposals will be coming soon.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:07 AM

16 posts, read 99,264 times
I wish I could say, like some who have moved here, that it's nice. I have worked for 2 of the worst sexists/racists pigs on the planet. I have had white people use the N word in front of me as if it were acceptable. I have had countless people smile and ACT like they like me only to find out they have said the most hateful things possible behind my back. NOT sure what purpose that serves? I'm not used to this culture. There are no employee rights or consumer protection here. I have run into the worst people in the city, no doubt. It has not been good. Doubt that it would have been positive for anyone. as soon as I sell this house, I will go back home. I'd rather sit in traffic and breathe smog to hang with some real people!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 AM

9 posts, read 37,037 times
East Nashville / Lockland springs area. Go to Lipstick Lounge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville