Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 09:43 AM

7 posts, read 41,586 times

Advertisements

I am pulling my hair out literally! I need to file my federal taxes so my daughter can get her college financial aid process started. Here's what I need to know:
On a Tennessee w-2 form, is there anything in boxes 15-17? This is the area where state income tax is listed (for other states).

My husband and I moved to Nashville in June when he quit his job in Arkansas and took a job in Franklin. We have a correct w-2 from his old employer with the correct taxes withheld. However, his new employer has their HR in New Jersey. They have our correct mailing address in TN on the w-2 but they have our state listed as AR. They also have their state employer id number in box 16. This is a problem because Arkansas will try to go after "their" money if I file this w-2. We didn't earn any of it in Arkansas. The employer made a mistake. We asked for a corrected w-2 last month and just got one in the mail. It is completely blank. I have asked this question on every tax forum I can find but no one will answer. Sorry for the length of this email. I am getting desperate here because the HR department in New Jersey is incompetent - they probably think Arkansas and Tennessee are interchangeable.

Can anyone tell me what their w-2 looks like on the bottom where the state income tax boxes are located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,635 times
Accountants, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I have a TN w-2, I just have the same Federal w-2 that you are looking at. It's just that mine is left blank in that area because we don't pay State taxes.

Courtney

Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 AM

116 posts, read 440,121 times
I am definitely not an accountant. But, yes Courtney, you are correct. We have no state income tax; so those are empty boxes.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:36 AM

7 posts, read 41,586 times
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville