Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:24 AM

455 posts, read 1,148,533 times

Advertisements

Hm, this is a little challenging. Hillsboro Village does sound perfect for you, but I think you'll probably find it hard to get an apartment for $600/month.

(Lots of people say Nashville has a great cost of living, but I've found that it totally depends on your frame of reference. My wife and I moved from NYC, so the cost of living comparison is amazing for us - we spend half our previous apartment budget and can get twice the space - but I'm not sure whether Nashville will be more or less expensive than Raleigh from a real estate standpoint. I imagine Nashville real estate might actually be a little more expensive...)

Just did a Craigslist search ("Hillsboro Village" with $600 upper limit) and it looks like there are some options in the Hillsboro Village area, but you might end up just renting an older apartment in someone's house as opposed to in an apartment complex. Is that OK for you? See this as an example of what's available - Can't get much closer to Vandy w/o being on Campus (http://nashville.craigslist.org/apa/1932862426.html - broken link).

If you can raise your budget to $700, it looks like you might be able to find a 1 bedroom in an older Hillsboro Village area apartment complex like the Villager - VANDY / HILLSBORO VILLAGE / GREENHILLS (http://nashville.craigslist.org/apa/1931395967.html - broken link). I know someone who lives there and likes it.

Even in Bellevue, I think you'd need to spend around $750/month to find a 1 bedroom in one of the nicer apartment complexes such as this 655 sq ft, Walk-In Closet, W/D, Courtyard View, Dog Park (http://nashville.craigslist.org/apa/1931786886.html - broken link)

Does anyone else have a suggestion for good walkable neighborhoods where it is possible to find an apartment for $600/month or less? I found this one in East Nashville which looks like it is in the trendy/gentrifying zone, but I don't know enough about the area to know whether it is considered safe for the OP. http://nashville.craigslist.org/apa/1936390528.html (broken link)

You could also try searching around Belmont University, which is still really near to Hillsboro Village - http://nashville.craigslist.org/apa/1934497173.html (broken link)

If you can find someone to share an apartment with, then you might have better luck finding a 2 bed / 1 bath apartment in your price range near Hillsboro Village / Vanderbilt. For example, I found this option - Super Condo- Super Close to Vandy (http://nashville.craigslist.org/apa/1878886501.html - broken link) for $1100 (just $550/month split with a roommate).

Good luck and let us know if we can help further!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:27 AM

15 posts, read 32,733 times
Aaron,

Thank you so much for doing all that research for me. It is awesome! From what I've read & seen, I do think Hillsboro Village is perfect. I've lived 30 minutes from Raleigh for the last two years (in Chapel Hill, which is a great town, so worth it), and I realize how much being that far out can affect your connection to the city & the community. It was fine in Raleigh because I know the town well and know a lot of people, but if I'm going to move somewhere brand new, I want to be able to get to know it and the people who live there...not just be able to drive in on the weekends. I also run almost every day after work, and I like having good places to go from my house - living in an apartment off a big road or something doesn't work so well for that. And I'm totally open to an apartment in a house, not in a complex.

I might be able to go up to $700, depending on salary. I'm interviewing for two jobs right now (and one is right near Hillsboro Village, which would be perfect!). I could do $700 on my current salary (since TN has no state income tax), but I just don't know exactly what I'm looking at. I've also thought about picking up a few shifts at a coffee shop or something, which would give me a little more to work with.

The Belmont area looks good too, and a little cheaper. I don't need to be RIGHT in Hillsboro Village, but I would like an area like that to be accessible easily - by bike at least.

Thanks so much for the help! Getting a sense of which neighborhoods are where is so helpful in navigating the craiglist ads!

Old 09-06-2010, 09:39 AM

455 posts, read 1,148,533 times
Happy to help, Kristen.

When you get closer to your move, feel free to post again if you have specific questions about apartment complexes, streets or neighborhoods.

Hope you're having a great Labor Day weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville