Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 PM

230 posts, read 387,172 times

Advertisements

My sister is moving to Nashville in a few months for work, and she and my brother in law are really excited to be returning to Tennessee. They have no clue where to look for a place to live; I know they would prefer to buy but are very open to renting right now as well. They plan on having a family in Nashville as well.

They are definitely not as adventurous as I am, but they don't want bland, homogenous, religious suburbia either. She is concerned about schools, but I was under the impression you could live anywhere in Nashville and enroll your children in magnet schools.

So..

They have three dogs, and want a yard. They prefer a garage. They are in their mid-20s. They are likely concerned about "crime," but this is NOT code for a neighborhood that excludes particular races or socioeconomic groups. They want an easy commute to work (downtown-ish). They are selling their current home, and asking mid $140s, and their budget in Nashville will be comparable. Do you guys need any more information to start offering up some suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 AM

39 posts, read 67,710 times
Default You know what happens when you assume

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
My sister is moving to Nashville in a few months for work, and she and my brother in law are really excited to be returning to Tennessee. They have no clue where to look for a place to live; I know they would prefer to buy but are very open to renting right now as well. They plan on having a family in Nashville as well.

They are definitely not as adventurous as I am, but they don't want bland, homogenous, religious suburbia either. She is concerned about schools, but I was under the impression you could live anywhere in Nashville and enroll your children in magnet schools.

So..

They have three dogs, and want a yard. They prefer a garage. They are in their mid-20s. They are likely concerned about "crime," but this is NOT code for a neighborhood that excludes particular races or socioeconomic groups. They want an easy commute to work (downtown-ish). They are selling their current home, and asking mid $140s, and their budget in Nashville will be comparable. Do you guys need any more information to start offering up some suggestions?

Thanks!
"Toyota Venza 2011 Commercial - YouTube"

Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 AM

I don't get the joke.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 AM

957 posts, read 3,707,510 times
Is Toyota spamming the forum now?

$140's, garage, decent neighborhood, yard....is all possible, but you won't find it anywhere near downtown. Nashville isn't a large sprawling area like Atlanta, so you don't have to go far to find affordable.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:27 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,193,302 times
I think the Toyota ad is a comment similar to "Don't judge a book by it's cover." Speaking of which ...

I'm stopping in from "bland, homogenous, religious suburbia" to offer some guidelines:

Their housing budget is on the low side for Nashville.

Yes, you can live anywhere in Nashville and enroll your child in magnet schools IF your number is chosen in the annual school selection lottery. It is a game of chance. There is a large chance their (future) kids won't get selected for the magnet schools. It's not a gamble I would be willing to make.

Lots of young couples move here wanting houses with charm that are within walking distance to shops and restaurants in good school systems but can't afford the $300K-$600K+ it usually takes to buy in those neighborhoods.

Because of this, however, some often overlooked areas are getting new interest. I've linked to some previous threads that may give you some insight. Don't judge them all by the thread titles. They get into discussions of neighborhoods that IMHO would be a good fit for your sister.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...nashville.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...ods-charm.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...ly-budget.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...-becoming.html

Off the bat, with the most important factors being budget and school zone, I would recommend the Crieve Hall section of South Nashville, though the prices there are creeping up again.

http://www.realtracs.com/SearchResul...ZivroZ3LVLfYyQ

Old 10-25-2012, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the threads. These will be helpful giving them some perspective.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,114,683 times
I love Crieve Hall! Almost moved there but the layouts weren't great for us. NICE big grassy yards. I thik I good place for a starter home. Do you know where they might be working? Does it need to be in Nashville proper or a surrounding area? Spring Hill (a good half hour - 40 minutes to downtown Nashville) has some homes in their price range:

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

Old 10-25-2012, 06:00 PM

My sister will be in downtown Nashville. She doesn't mind a commute, but I know 40 minutes is too long.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:50 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,853,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
My sister will be in downtown Nashville. She doesn't mind a commute, but I know 40 minutes is too long.
Yes and Spring Hill is 40 minutes without traffic. You may want to consider Hermitage, Bellevue, Donelson, or Goodlettsville. They have similar or lower prices than Spring Hill, are more diverse, and much shorter commutes. Old Hickory would be a good option too and it has a lot of character.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,762,799 times
Or try Inglewood, 37216. We're 10 minutes from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville