Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times

Advertisements

$2.19 for a gallon of milk on Long Island. Someone posted that they paid $10 for ten ears of corn. Oh my! I paid $1.99 for 12 at the supermarket and they were local corn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 04:07 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
$2.19 for a gallon of milk on Long Island. Someone posted that they paid $10 for ten ears of corn. Oh my! I paid $1.99 for 12 at the supermarket and they were local corn.
That was me with a typo... they were 10 for $1

Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 AM

83 posts, read 374,965 times
We moved here from Monmouth Co. NJ, 12 years ago. The prices for most foods in super markets are less due to lower labor, real estate and property taxes also a lower energy costs. Most markets will pass on the savings.

The Franklin and the Nashville Farmer Markets are nothing like the ones in South Jersey and around Lancaster, PA. I am VERY familiar with these markets in PA

I do miss them but not enough for us to ever move back. We love TN the locals always treated us well and the lower cost of living is a bonus. Many markets sell locally grown produce if you like to buy that and they also sell all the fruit varieties and quality you will find up north.

How much a gallon of milk cost is IRRELEVANT. You have to look at the TOTAL Cost of Living Index for each state. A quick search gave me the following. It is from Missouri but it shows all the States for the first quarter of 2010.

Look at the Whole Index also individual figures for Groceries, Utilities etc. Compare them to ALL the northern states discussed here. None of them will match or come close to TN.

Cost of Living Index

Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 AM

957 posts, read 3,699,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Dove View Post
Do you know if they sell Fuji and red Delicious apples? I love fuji apples, their so good! And my dad loves red delicious apples! We're huge apple people, it'd be hard not to be able to get the type we love!

I understand that the south doesn't get cold nights, but can't they import them from states that can produce them? They might cost a bit more but it'll be worth it if you can get the type of apples you want?
We buy Fuji's at the grocery store...or Walmart. No problem getting them and no problems with the quality.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:26 AM

722 posts, read 2,100,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNkudzu View Post
We moved here from Monmouth Co. NJ, 12 years ago. The prices for most foods in super markets are less due to lower labor, real estate and property taxes also a lower energy costs. Most markets will pass on the savings.

The Franklin and the Nashville Farmer Markets are nothing like the ones in South Jersey and around Lancaster, PA. I am VERY familiar with these markets in PA

I do miss them but not enough for us to ever move back. We love TN the locals always treated us well and the lower cost of living is a bonus. Many markets sell locally grown produce if you like to buy that and they also sell all the fruit varieties and quality you will find up north.

How much a gallon of milk cost is IRRELEVANT. You have to look at the TOTAL Cost of Living Index for each state. A quick search gave me the following. It is from Missouri but it shows all the States for the first quarter of 2010.

Look at the Whole Index also individual figures for Groceries, Utilities etc. Compare them to ALL the northern states discussed here. None of them will match or come close to TN.

Cost of Living Index
Nice Graphs

Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
That was me with a typo... they were 10 for $1

Excellent! That's cheaper than growing your own in the backyard.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:29 PM

3,041 posts, read 3,308,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
yeah...I was waiting for that. In general, dairy products are cheaper in WI than other places. something to do with an agreement with the dairy industry. Not a derogatory comment on TN.
One problem may be with the Purity(Dean's) premium prices over store brands or other competitors. Purity is a top quality product. I don't know how much of our milk comes from northern mega-dairies then trucked here? TN may not have the dairy it used to have. TN isn't the ag state it used to be.

There may be some orchards over east in the Knoxville-Bristol area. I miss not having the Apple Barn at Opry Mills. Miss their apple pie.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,444 times
Here is a link to the Pick TN Products website with a listing of places to pick your own fruits & veggies:

Welcome to Pick Tennessee Products.

Courtney

Old 08-18-2010, 04:18 PM

75 posts, read 198,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNkudzu View Post

Cost of Living Index
I'm originally from Monmouth County NJ too. We moved here because the prices were cheaper. Now we're looking for a cheaper place to live.

Thank you for the cost of living link. I found that a few days ago while searching cost of living in TN on Google. Pretty cool that TN is number 1 and PA is way down on the list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville