Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 AM

164 posts, read 398,182 times

Advertisements

Do in Murfreesboro on July 8th, 2010. Cannot wait!

So which comes first:

getting a driver's license, auto insurance, inspection of car, title of car in TN

Where do I begin? And what identifications do I need? Will have a signed lease in both our names and are looking for the other proofs that we live in TN.

Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 PM

957 posts, read 3,698,765 times
Swap your license first. The lease and a utility bill should do it as far as proof of local residence. You will also need a birth certificate or some other form of proof of legal US residency. I think a passport qualifies. When that's done, you can swap the tags and title on your car.

You can take care of the insurance before or after. They don't ask for proof of insurance when you tag/title. I think the insurance companies like to be notified when you move, but don't bother until you have a TN license. Until then, you are not a legal resident.

Car inspection depends on county and it's not really an inspection. It's an emissions check. Davidson county requires it. It has to be done prior to taking care of tags and title.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:12 PM

274 posts, read 998,081 times
where do you go to get your car inspected and how much is that? are there actually inspection stations? also, where do you go get your tags, get new registration, and change titles at?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:51 PM

In Davidson County, we go to the county clerks office on Mainstream Dr. for tags and title. We go to the drivers license office off Ellington Pkw near the TBI building. There are a number of inspection stations scattered about. It costs $9. Below is info on the inspection stations.

Nashville.gov - Health - Vehicle Inspection

Old 06-27-2010, 05:11 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,037 times
As rossc said, swap your license first. In TN they do not even ask for proof of insurance. (this is apalling to me, but they don't), then you can get emissions ($10) and then register your car. It is the office on Samsonite Blvd in Murfreesboro. Get there when they open and you will be in and out in no time.

You should find what you need here.
Rutherford County Driver Services Center

Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM

274 posts, read 998,081 times
if it helps, i'll be living in brentwood and already have a lease to an apartment. i do have a couple more questions:

1. this may be a stupid one but i thought registration included getting new (or renewing) tags and/or getting a new title. are these separate things? i already transferred my current car insurance over to TN so that's squared away and i plan to transfer my current title to tennessee from michigan.

2. i currently have an NJ license. how quick is it to get a TN license? or is the application process long and arduous and where do i go apply for a new license?

3. i'm used to emissions testing like in NJ, which in a way is very similar to the stringent requirements to that of CA and no state beats Cali lol. how hard is the test to pass? i mean, i don't drive a POS but my car is older.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:16 PM

124 posts, read 285,784 times
1) they are separate things, but you can do those at the same building from what I remember.

2) it should be instant, at least it was 10 years ago when I did it.

3) if it's 96 or older, they stick a wand in your tailpipe and test what comes out. for newer cars with an OBD port, they plug it into the computer and rely on the sensors in your car. As long as you don't have a check engine light you generally should be good to pass an emissions test, assuming newer than '96.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:43 AM

66 posts, read 163,102 times
I just changed my ID from MI to TN in April and it all happens that day. I went on a Thurs around 11 and waited about an hour which included filling out the papers and getting my picture taken and then was given my ID. Just make sure you take the required papers, which you can find online.

Last October I changed my title and plates from MI to TN and they happened at the same place for me. I did it at the Metrocenter location. They mailed me my new title I think and gave me a new license plate with tags that day.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:58 AM

56 posts, read 176,189 times
So to get a TN driver's license when moving in from out of state, you do not even have to take a written test?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster View Post
So to get a TN driver's license when moving in from out of state, you do not even have to take a written test?
Not if you already have a valid license. I'm not sure how it works if you have a lot of points on you existing license. I didn't have any points and just had to show proof of residency and proof of citizenship (birth certificate) and they swapped my DE license for a TN license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville