Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:47 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,734,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There is much more crime in Nashville proper than in the suburbs. Most it is assaults, property crime, thefts and burglaries, but there have been some brazen robberies lately. Right now there is a serial armed robber targeting restaurants and groceries full of customers in East Nashville.

2 East Nashville Restaurants Robbed At Gunpoint - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

If you look at the Nashville crime map, you can clearly see which are the areas with less criminal activity. Those tend to be the more expensive, less economically diverse areas.

Nashville, TN Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Nashville - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

The biggest problem with Nashville crime is police response. If you are burglarized, they may not even send out an officer. You may just have to fill out a report, whereas if you live in a smaller community with its own police force, you will have better coverage.

In Nashville, there are plenty of safe areas. You will just need to be vigilant, get to know your neighbors, invest in an alarm system, expect to be targeted and hope you won't be.
I started my post before I saw yours. That map is very helpful.
My personal experience with the Nashville PD has always been very positive. They responded immediately when my car was stolen from in front of a friend's house. We had an armed robbery in our old neighborhood once and the entire neighborhood was full of police- they even sent a police helicopter to try and track the robbers. We once had a passed out person on the street in front of our place in Green Hills and I called the non-emergency #. (I didn't want the guy to get hurt or robbed by someone.) The police responded immediately on a weekend night. Maybe coverage is better is some areas than others.

Hopefully I haven't scared anyone away from Nashville. The robbery in our old neighborhood was believed to have been done by someone the people knew. They owned a jewelry store and the thieves went straight for some specific jewelry. The only random crime I have experienced in Nashville was my car getting stolen. Frustrating, but not harmful. I generally felt safe living in Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 12:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times
I also think of Nashville as safe. My reply about police response is intended to point out out that some precincts, most likely those in the more diverse areas that the OP seeks, can get overwhelmed with nonviolent crimes and are slow to respond.

I also really enjoy the fact that the Nashville forum does not seem as populated by trolls or those who want to throw in their rants reducing everything to an argument about gun control or other hot-button issues.

Now I do get impatient sometimes with people who are scared of bugs or tornados or want to know if Nashville is close to water or something they easily could research with two clicks. But I try to only speak to what I know.
This is, after all, a relocation forum, so it is nice to just answer questions about what it is like to live here.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,836,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphos View Post
It's always interesting to see the differences between cities - in Miami we only drive with our windows down in some areas and I might be driving on a causeway and exit into an area and be putting the windows up at the same time. We live in a borderline neighborhood where just a few blocks away there have been several shootings but for the most part people leave us alone here.
^Your comment about exiting off the freeway while simultaneously rolling up the window makes me smile. I am sure there are plenty of people who feel that way about my neighborhood, East Nashville

I have lived here right at four years & (knock on wood!!) have not had any problems. It's very diverse & more importantly, still affordable, there are lots of families here raising children. If schools aren't a factor & you're already used to living in an urban environment, then I would say it could be a good fit. Other areas to consider, depending on budget, would be Germantown & Hillsboro Village.

Courtney

Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM

4 posts, read 19,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlayne View Post
Hello everyone.

We are a lesbian couple with a beautiful 5-year old son. I have a job opportunity in Franklin, TN, and we are trying to decide if the Nashville area will be a good fit for our family. Our considerations:
- best schools (our son is currently in montessori)
- best, diverse community
- "green" living options

We live in Atlanta currently, and while we don't live in the most hip community, we have a nice home, we have friendly neighbors, and haven't faced any discrimination.

We would appreciate any guidance. We are visiting Nashville this weekend and need to know areas we should consider.

Thanks.
Hi Jlayne-

I just read your post because my partner and I may be moving to the Franklin area as well. I was offered a job in Franklin but have not decided to take it because from what I am reading the Franklin area and surrounding areas are not really gay friendly. I really dont want to move to Nashville which is more gay-friendly and have a long commute each day.

Can you tell me how things turned out for you and your family? What expereience have you had living in the Franklin area as a gay family? Do you know any other areas south of Nashville in which I could look that would be more gay friendly?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 PM

215 posts, read 682,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley77golf
Do you know any other areas south of Nashville in which I could look that would be more gay friendly?
Would Murfreesboro or South Nashville qualify as options?

Last edited by goodman2; 02-17-2011 at 08:03 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 19,185 times
I am afraid Murfreesboro would be to long of a dailly commute to Franklin. If it were not for that, I would like to live in that area. I am also afraid that South Nashville is going to be a long drive.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,343,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley77golf View Post
I am afraid Murfreesboro would be to long of a dailly commute to Franklin. If it were not for that, I would like to live in that area. I am also afraid that South Nashville is going to be a long drive.
You can make it to Franklin from Murfreesboro in about 35-45 minutes (depending on starting and ending locations, and how fast you drive). I hope that helps.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,084 times
In my short tenure living in franklin with my partner we have found it to be a friendly and accepting town. The ability to walk to restaurants and shops is fantastic .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville