Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 03:32 PM

124 posts, read 286,249 times

Advertisements

Through a drastic change of life / lifestyle and situation, I am moving to the burbs, specifically Brentwood. There are three homes we've located in the Holly Tree Farms subdivision that seem like good options potentially, though there is an HOA. In general, the idea of a homeowner's association horrifies me, though I understand some are stricter than others. Does anyone have any experience with this HOA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times
I have a friend who has lived there for ten years, and this is what she said today when I e-mailed her about the HOA:

"We love our neighborhood! I know of just a couple of people who haven’t been able to build what they wanted. But even I agreed those plans were not good. When we built an addition and added a hot tub, we had no problem.

It’s cheaper than a lot of HOAs that have pools. Very laid back but they do make a few suggestions to people if they don’t mow or have a lopsided shutter. Again, never heard a word!"

I hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I have a friend who has lived there for ten years, and this is what she said today when I e-mailed her about the HOA:

"We love our neighborhood! I know of just a couple of people who haven’t been able to build what they wanted. But even I agreed those plans were not good. When we built an addition and added a hot tub, we had no problem.

It’s cheaper than a lot of HOAs that have pools. Very laid back but they do make a few suggestions to people if they don’t mow or have a lopsided shutter. Again, never heard a word!"

I hope this helps.
Thank you for tracking this down for us! Seriously, this is a big help!!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:24 PM

No problem. I think people view HOAs as a terror organization ready to pounce on unsuspecting residents. But usually they just exist to maintain a consistent look to the neighborhood - in short, to keep it looking nice.

A subdivision like Holly Tree Farms, which was all built by one builder, usually likes to keep an aesthetic consistency. That's why they might send a reminder letter if someone's grass is a foot long or whatever. Most of the groups I've dealt with have been no problem at all.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
No problem. I think people view HOAs as a terror organization ready to pounce on unsuspecting residents. But usually they just exist to maintain a consistent look to the neighborhood - in short, to keep it looking nice.

A subdivision like Holly Tree Farms, which was all built by one builder, usually likes to keep an aesthetic consistency. That's why they might send a reminder letter if someone's grass is a foot long or whatever. Most of the groups I've dealt with have been no problem at all.
I have just heard a lot of horror stories, though I personally do not have any experiences with an HOA. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea that I would have to pay money to have a group tell me what I could or could not do to my home. I realize that it's in everyone's best interest if the guy across the street doesn't have a camaro up on cinder blocks in the front yard, and to that end an HOA would be useful. And surely I'd appreciate it if the family beside us kept their grass mowed. But I can also imagine situations where this could go horribly wrong, and there is plenty of evidence to support this, even if most of it is anecdotal

This one is probably fresh in everyone's mind though:

Back from Iraq, Frisco soldier finds home sold by HOA | wfaa.com | Dallas - Fort Worth Local News

Last edited by boingolover; 06-18-2010 at 10:02 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 04:35 AM

Wow, that is certainly a very rare case. Anytime you don't open your mail for 6 months, you're gonna have problems.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Wow, that is certainly a very rare case. Anytime you don't open your mail for 6 months, you're gonna have problems.
True. On the other hand, any time your neighbors would sell off your home over $800, you're going to have problems too.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 AM

The only difference there is that most HOAs aren't usually an informal group of neighbors who have coffee meetings, take your dues check and gossip about whose grass is too long. All the ones I've ever paid money to are operated by professional property management companies. You may have a board composed of neighbors, but the money usually goes to a professional management company because they hire landscapers, painters, pool cleaners etc.
When you buy your house, it's in your contract that you are a member of the HOA and you are legally bound to pay those dues. So if you stop, they can put a lien on your house just the like mortgage company would. It's not as if their neighbors suddenly sold the house from under them. The people in the article defaulted on a payment they owed.
Like I said, it's an extreme case, but it proves that any buyer has to do due diligence and completely understand how their HOA works.
And open their dadgum mail.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:47 PM

No doubt that this is a fringe case. And whether or not a neighbor / HOA board member should have checked in personally on the situation is a moot point. My specific concerns are with the Holly Tree Farms HOA, and thanks again for your correspondence. It sounds as though the general "vibe" of this HOA is as good as could be expected. I'm still trying to get a copy of the HOA rules, and that should be inbound sometime soon according to my realtor. I will certainly make sure to read the fine print, and in the unlikely event that we find anything that we determine to be a deal breaker we will go for another home we liked that's not in an HOA but needs a bit of updating.

Thanks again!

Old 06-19-2010, 02:49 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,734,486 times
One thing to consider also is Brentwood rules. Brentwood city has a lot of rules also, we had to get our fence and patio cover approved by our HOA and the city of Brentwood. The HOA wasn't a problem, but we had to make changes to get things approved by the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville