Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:13 PM

497 posts, read 509,745 times

Advertisements

This is what happens when, arrogance,racism and city officials make stupid laws!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,894,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
This is what happens when, arrogance,racism and city officials make stupid laws!!!!!
Ummmm.....can you shed some light on your post? Info please.

Why would anyone boycott Myrtle Beach?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 AM

540 posts, read 1,681,887 times
The mayor of the City of MB is struggling to keep the tourists (and locals) happy since he pushed away the bikers. I understand his reasoning for wanting to limit the disgusting scenes that happen during the Memorial Day bike week, but to push ALL bikers away because of the actions of a few is more like "cutting off your nose to despite your face", imo.

It's the one weekend I prefer not to have my kids out and witness the raunchyness and scantily clad women. I really wonder if they look in the mirror before they go out...

Old 06-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

Oh well They've had difficult times with city police during biker's week, their were cases where the Grand Strand was turned into a big one way during Black Bikers Week and city officials claim it would make tourists think twice about coming back the following year, also business owners on the strand would close there doors during memorial week, quite a bit of ignorance from the city as a whole!

Old 06-02-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
The mayor of the City of MB is struggling to keep the tourists (and locals) happy since he pushed away the bikers. I understand his reasoning for wanting to limit the disgusting scenes that happen during the Memorial Day bike week, but to push ALL bikers away because of the actions of a few is more like "cutting off your nose to despite your face", imo.

It's the one weekend I prefer not to have my kids out and witness the raunchyness and scantily clad women. I really wonder if they look in the mirror before they go out...
Honestly I grew up in Myrtle Beach and for god sakes it's a Beach, when i grew up we had the pavillion amusement park in the center of the Grand Strand and police didn't bother you, now adays i think seeing someone else have more fun than yourself may play a part in the cutting off your own foot process MB has done with their city! Miami doesn't close it's doors or come up with ordinances, neither any other tourist city, for god sakes these people are bringing you business!!!!

Old 06-02-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post

Pburgess 68 you might never want to go to Miami or Brazil or Cancun because in these Beach cities they wear beachwear as well.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:46 PM

540 posts, read 1,681,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
Pburgess 68 you might never want to go to Miami or Brazil or Cancun because in these Beach cities they wear beachwear as well.
Oh, that's not what I was referring to actually! I was talking about them having sex on their bikes in public; oversized behinds wearing thongs, therefore showing e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g while riding on the back of bikes; etc. I'm certainly not referring to well toned physiques like one would expect to see in Brazil and Miami.

Even my 17 yr old daughter, who used to dress on the edge of acceptability by my standards, finds their "clothing" outside of acceptable decorum. Now, that's saying a lot, imo. She's actually the one that asked ME if I felt the women looked at themselves before they went out. Made me chuckle. Wonder how many parents wonder that themselves when their kids are picking out clothes!!

edit: from what I understand, Myrtle Beach is considered a "family" beach, and therefore would prefer a family atmosphere. Thongs and such really have no place in this type of area. HOWEVER, it would be totally acceptable where you mentioned as they don't have that type of reputation. Brazil is more of a let loose place (number one in the world for enhancement surgeries as well!) and I think we pretty much can agree Miami and Cancun are as well. Myrtle Beach? Not so much.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:08 PM

148 posts, read 550,870 times
AGAIN with the racism card. It has nothing to do with race B-ham34 . bike week is fine if you keep your clothes on ( females )do not shoot someone tear up the town. burn outs racing bad mouthing the waitress or hotel people. tear up the hotels. The ones who act up are the ones who cause this to happen. There is a difference between biker trash and bikers. Some act like they are living their teenage years again. Or if they didnt have a teenage years they are doing it now. Not all bikers are like. We ride our bikes to MB we have never once been mistreated by anyone in that city. But we obey the laws of their city. Just like anywhere else.We are guest. To those who want to boycott MB WHY?? Because they are asking you not to destory their city or the property?? Not to harass the people. We drink but dont drive We keep our clothes on in public. We wear a helmet. Our choice.Some people have this idea how a body should look . We all come in different sizes shapes color. But there is a line drawn when you get older about wearing current things. If you want bike week back go to the meetings and talk with the people of MB Lay down some ground rules. In VA BEACH it states everywhere and you do get fined no swearing you swear you get a ticket. (Thats how it was several year ago) I had to remind my boys.Yeah they hear on tv and so on. But thats there law. You want to act up where almost anything goes go to Las Vegas or Calif.
Keep the rubber side down

Old 06-03-2010, 03:28 PM

91 posts, read 379,065 times
Officials get a lot of flak from tourists because they feel that some of the best beach weeks are dominated by the bikers. The mainstream tourist doesn't need the bike scene and the city feels that given some time they will realize that the bikes are essentially out of the way,and then families will return and more than replace the bikers. MB has a reputation as the most family friendly, kid friendly vacation spot.
The race thing and the other arguments are bogus. The noise may be a factor for some. It is simply a business decision to try to appeal to the customer base.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:13 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,841,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasters View Post
Officials get a lot of flak from tourists because they feel that some of the best beach weeks are dominated by the bikers. The mainstream tourist doesn't need the bike scene... It is simply a business decision to try to appeal to the customer base.
The push to drive away bike weeks was never related to a business decision, tourist opinions or pleasing tourists. Mainstream tourists had 50 other weeks they could choose to come to MB, and families turned off by bike week simply chose another week. There is no business-based decision that justifies eliminating bike weeks. During a month where the vast majority of school systems are in session, regardless of how many other festivals MB schedules, they can never replace the revenue generated by hundreds of thousands of bikers who showed up for the rallies. Business decision? Not a chance...

In the past decade, the power structure in MB has changed significantly. It will always be a tourist town, but in the past, the controlling political factions were the major tourism-related businesses, who made decisions based on what was good for MB tourism. In recent years, affluent retirees and new arrivals have evolved into the ruling class, wielding significant power over MB politics and direction taken by the city. As a whole, this group is offended and intimidated by the bike rallies, despite the fact that the demographics of the Harley rally have repeatedly been shown to be well-educated upper middle class. As retirees who have brought their money with them, the success of MB's tourism market is of little consequence to the new powerholders. In fact, many would prefer that no tourists show up at all. Unfortunately, they're ignoring the fact that the restaurants, entertainment, and festivals that lured them to MB all depend upon tourists to survive.

IMO, eliminating the rallies was a stupid move, which, like tearing down the Pavilion, continues the movement of MB away from what once made it special. Regardless, like all politicians, ours make decisions which reflect the wishes of the majority of the voters. Last November's election was essentially a referendum on MB's actions against the bike rallies. When Rhodes and his supporters were re-elected, it confirmed the politicians did what was necessary to stay in office, dooming the Harley Bike Week. Racist? I can't see it. The Atlantic Beach Bike Festival has been much less affected by MB's actions than the Harley Rally. As long as AB maintains its charter, their Bike Festival will very likely continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area